REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   DIY Oil Change (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701805-diy-oil-change.html)

chunkster 02-25-2015 07:34 PM

I use a fluid extractor via the oil dipstick to change my oil on my car. Very little mess without having to jack up the car. But then again, I guess if you still have to jack the car up to replace the oil filter, it won't really make a difference.

7-1/2 Litre Manual Fluid Extractor | Princess Auto

When you're done extracting the oil, just pour what you've extracted into a jug or oil container to drop off at CT. Simplifies clean up somewhat without having to wipe and clean the messy oil pans.

PA will have this on sale for $50-$60 from time to time so it might be a good investment if you decide to regularly change the oil yourself.

Euro7r 02-26-2015 07:38 PM

I personally DIY my own oil changes simply because I don't like noob technicians messing up my car if anything. Even though the cost of material for DIY and getting it done at auto shop, the savings being minimal, I still enjoy DIY.

If you change your oil 1-2 times a year, savings is very minimal DIY vs auto shop. If you change it like 4-5 times a year, I think the savings to DIY is worth it.

I get my oil from the dealership since I want to stick to OEM. Got my oil pan container from CT. I pour the old oil back into the empty containers and take it to recycling.

SumAznGuy 02-27-2015 06:31 AM

There is no point to be going back to the $tealerships to buy engine oil.
All they do is sell rebadged oil that you can buy for a lot less at CT or Walmart when they go on sale.

underscore 02-27-2015 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.Specter (Post 8601558)
Do you guys prefer aftermarket oils (ie. From CT) or going OEM (say from Toyota directly)?

Toyota doesn't make oil, so it's just going to be relabeled oil from someone else that you could buy cheaper elsewhere.

CCA-Dave 02-27-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunkster (Post 8601681)
I use a fluid extractor via the oil dipstick to change my oil on my car. Very little mess without having to jack up the car. But then again, I guess if you still have to jack the car up to replace the oil filter, it won't really make a difference.

7-1/2 Litre Manual Fluid Extractor | Princess Auto

When you're done extracting the oil, just pour what you've extracted into a jug or oil container to drop off at CT. Simplifies clean up somewhat without having to wipe and clean the messy oil pans.

PA will have this on sale for $50-$60 from time to time so it might be a good investment if you decide to regularly change the oil yourself.

I'd be very curious to see what the inside of your oil pan looks like. I can't see this method pulling up all the accumulated sediments off the bottom of the pan.

-Dave

chunkster 02-27-2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCA-Dave (Post 8602386)
I'd be very curious to see what the inside of your oil pan looks like. I can't see this method pulling up all the accumulated sediments off the bottom of the pan.

-Dave

I'd be curious as well. I had concerns about this too and will do the traditional method of draining the oil once every 3 extractions using the extractor. I do frequent oil changes every 5K so having to change the oil via the extractor is convenient instead of rolling around in the cold and damp ground where I do my maintenance. Besides, have to use up those spare crush washers when they are included in my new oil filters! :)

motorking 03-01-2015 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 8601500)
:heckno:
Sorry. You lost all credibility when you admitted to using Fram filters. :concentrate:

As long as drain bolt isn't leaking, then it's all good as far as I am concerned.

Hi,
I am the technical director at FRAM. Are you aware that all Canadian and USA delivered Hondas use a FRAM filter as original equipment? We have been making filters for Honda for the last 8 years, over 13 million made for them. If your looking for the very best filter, check out the FRAM Ultra (Synthetic in Canada) it's far superior to the OE version.
Questions? Happy to answer at jay.buckley@framgrp.com. ps- there is a diy oil change video for newbies on our website too.

ts14 03-01-2015 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorking (Post 8603185)
Hi,
I am the technical director at FRAM. Are you aware that all Canadian and USA delivered Hondas use a FRAM filter as original equipment? We have been making filters for Honda for the last 8 years, over 13 million made for them. If your looking for the very best filter, check out the FRAM Ultra (Synthetic in Canada) it's far superior to the OE version.
Questions? Happy to answer at jay.buckley@framgrp.com. ps- there is a diy oil change video for newbies on our website too.

:suspicious:

motorking 03-01-2015 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ts14 (Post 8603191)
:suspicious:

How so? I told eveyone who I am and left my company contact information. How is that suspicious?:accepted:

twitchyzero 03-01-2015 10:40 PM

I did my research that Honda oil filter A02 (rebadged Fram) isn't as good as the original A01 which is pretty hard to find now

I ended up going for Denso's 1st time fit...they seem to be a good OEM replacement Oil Filters | DENSO Auto Parts

Puck Luck 03-01-2015 11:38 PM

The A01's if i remember, came individually boxed and were made in Japan. That was many many years ago. They were noticeably heavier than the current A02 too (USA made).
Thought i remember someone from the parts dept, possibly manager mentioning these current filters were Frams.
I have a question maybe Jay could answer. I've wondered if the filters made by Fram for honda, were made to Honda's requested specs, or if Honda said to Fram...make the filters to what fram suggests or recomends?
I do notice that most aftermarket filters, including Fram have a flat surface gasket were as the Honda's have more of a round o ring style gasket that "crush" more.

I still have a bunch of Honda filters in my tool box from when i left Honda last year (after 24 years :woot2: ) I consider it a...um...parting gift. But when those run out, i'll likely just use Fram. Or whatever's on sale

motorking 03-02-2015 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8603548)
I did my research that Honda oil filter A02 (rebadged Fram) isn't as good as the original A01 which is pretty hard to find now

I ended up going for Denso's 1st time fit...they seem to be a good OEM replacement Oil Filters | DENSO Auto Parts

Can you show us where this research showed that Denso or the A01 filter outperformed the A02 filter using the ISO 4548-12 test for efficiency and capacity? Or was the research simply because some "guy on the internet" says FRAM is no good and Denso is? Honda trusts their engine warranty with FRAM, not Denso. Just saying.

motorking 03-02-2015 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck Luck (Post 8603579)
The A01's if i remember, came individually boxed and were made in Japan. That was many many years ago. They were noticeably heavier than the current A02 too (USA made).
Thought i remember someone from the parts dept, possibly manager mentioning these current filters were Frams.
I have a question maybe Jay could answer. I've wondered if the filters made by Fram for honda, were made to Honda's requested specs, or if Honda said to Fram...make the filters to what fram suggests or recomends?
I do notice that most aftermarket filters, including Fram have a flat surface gasket were as the Honda's have more of a round o ring style gasket that "crush" more.

I still have a bunch of Honda filters in my tool box from when i left Honda last year (after 24 years :woot2: ) I consider it a...um...parting gift. But when those run out, i'll likely just use Fram. Or whatever's on sale

Puck,
The Honda filters are built to Hondas specifications. That said, whenever we spec a filter for the car, we always test the OE and OES filters using the ISO 4548-12 protocol for efficiency and capacity. If and when we offer a filter for a vehicle, we always meet or exceed specifications for efficiency, capacity, bypass valve opening pressure and oil flow. The difference in gaskets is a japanese vs american thing. Some Japanese companies prefer the gasket your talking about, it is called a "P" gasket. It has to be tightened tighter than a standard oil filter using a square cut O ring style in order to seal. The Honda filter is almost the exact same as the FRAM Tough Guard filter. That said, on my cars, I only use the FRAM Ultra filter. Yes, it costs 8-10$ at retail. But, it is simply the best filter in the market by a long shot. It performs as good or better than filters like K+N, Mobil 1 extended life, Royal Purple and Amsoil at a fraction of the cost of those filters, all of which are very good. The Ultra filter is a pleated stainless steel screen with two layers of full synthetic media (most filters are a blend of synthetic and cellulose), flanged steel end caps, silicone rubber antidrainback valve, 99% efficiency@20 microns and capacity to go 15,000 miles when used with good quality synthetic oil. Hondas require proper oil flow for the VTEC system to operate properly, some filters can cause a degradation in this system due to a lack of oil flow at high rpm's. The real questions you need to know when shopping for an oil filter is quality of antidrainback valve, efficiency@ 20 microns, capacity (will it last the length of your oil change without bypassing?) Seven out of the top ten selling cars in the USA come from the factory with our filters on them and we make over 37 brands of filters, many brand names that are well recognized and respected in the industry.

josel_atr 03-02-2015 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorking (Post 8603185)
Hi,

oh wow that escalated quickly. someone from fram actually chimed in.

i might send you a quick question via email. ttyl

Puck Luck 03-02-2015 11:17 AM

Thats a lot of technical info. Thanks for the details. Just looking at the Fram website, never realizing the different grades of oil filters available.

Here in Canada, i assume Fram makes the Motomaster oil filters for Canadiantire. Which Fram filter would they be equivalent to?

I just bought an oil filter online (HiFlo) for my old 88 Virago. Came straight from China :banghead:. Now I'm feelin a bit concerned

rJZx 03-02-2015 11:24 AM

What's wrong with Fram filters? Been using them for years and never had any issue...

supafamous 03-02-2015 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8601373)
OK.. after paying ACURA a whopping $80 for my latest oil change, I've decided that I will be doing this myself from now on.

$80?! I pay $60 to my Acura dealer for an oil change which is only marginally pricier than supplies for myself. Which dealer are you going to? I believe you can also just go to a Honda dealer to save a few bucks. Even better, go to a RS sponsor.

That said I did my last oil change myself and was doing it myself yesterday but couldn't get the bloody drain plug off.

Acura604 03-04-2015 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supafamous (Post 8604078)
$80?! I pay $60 to my Acura dealer for an oil change which is only marginally pricier than supplies for myself. Which dealer are you going to? I believe you can also just go to a Honda dealer to save a few bucks. Even better, go to a RS sponsor.

That said I did my last oil change myself and was doing it myself yesterday but couldn't get the bloody drain plug off.

Acura has raised their rates.

$69.88 plus assorted fees plus tax. (5w20 - honda oem 'semi synthetic')

Honda rates are:

$60.88 plus assorted fees plus tax. (5w20)
$69.88 plus assorted fees plus tax. (0w20)

6o4__boi 03-04-2015 10:13 AM

:fuckthatshit:
$69.88 plus assorted fees and plus tax for a fucking oil change? Talk about massive cash grab.
Filter ~ $5 Oil ~ $15 ...$50 for barely 10 minutes of labor?
It better come with a blowjob from the customer service rep (the hot one)

Tapioca 03-04-2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8604880)
$69.88 plus assorted fees and plus tax for a fucking oil change? Talk about massive cash grab.

If those prices are for synthetic, they're not out of line. Synthetic oil can easily be $30 per jug when on sale. Filters are at least $10 at the retail level. So, $30 for labour is not bad at a shop, if you value your time over jacking up a car and crawling underneath it (which could easily take an hour of your time).

ZN6 03-05-2015 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8604880)

$69.88 isn't bad considering a 4-5L jug of Synthetic can run anywhere between $45-$55. No matter where you go, there's still tax and eco-fees on the oil. Don't think you can buy a 4L Jug of Synthetic stuff off the shelf for $15.

I used to do all my oil changes myself but I realized that it's dumb to save a couple of bucks over a 4 month period until the next oil change when I have to lug out the tools, Jack the car up on stands, crawl under the car, undo the drain bolt, drain the oil, get up from under the car, flush it a bit with some fresh oil, replace the oil filter, get back under the car, put the drain bolt back in, get out again from under the car, top the car up with oil, funnel the old oil into a jug, jack the car back up a bit, remove the jack stands, jack the car down, and then finally I can drive the oil to get it disposed of at Canadian Tire. Best case scenario: you've done ok without oil dripping into the gut of your car or onto the garage floor and can do it all under an hour.

But chances are, there will be spills.

I'd gladly pay 20 bucks for the labour charge over the materials if I can sit in peace and sip a coffee while doing some studying.

Bender Unit 03-05-2015 01:26 PM

^ You lost the fun of DIY. Sorry, Buddy
treat it like a hobby, not duty.

MG1 03-05-2015 07:10 PM

Fumoto drain valve is an absolute must if you plan on doing oil changes yourself. I have them on all my vehicles since first oil change needed to be done. As for oil filters, Fram makes the A02 and Filtech in the US makes the A01. The HAMP oil filters most enthusiasts want and use are made in Japan by Toyo Roki. Recently, the HAMP oil filters have been made in the US. Reason for that is Toyo Roki bought out Filtech. I get my A01's from a Honda dealership in the US. I purchase them by the dozen. They are bulk, no box, just shrink wrapped.

As for oil, I use Royal Purple full synthetic. I get that at a pretty good price from Mopac. I purchase it by the pail.

Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I don't care what other people use. This is what I use when changing oil.

And, I agree fully with Bender Unit. DIY is about feeling good that you can do it and nobody else messes with your ride.

underscore 03-06-2015 07:01 AM

As much as I love DIY, there's no way in hell I'm doing my own oil on a DD anymore, especially in the winter. Albeit a good friend of mine works at a lube place so he's the only one that does it anyways.

IMASA 03-06-2015 07:41 AM

Have a read of some of these horror stories
What's The Worst Mechanic Horror Story You've Ever Heard?

Oil change is a simple job and usually the mechanic stuck doing it isn't the most experienced or brightest. I do all the simple jobs for my cars because I enjoy it and like to know it's done right. For the complex stuff, I'll bring it in to a shop.