REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner > Rider's Journals

Rider's Journals This section is for rider's and their journeys. Show off your bike, your build, or travel journals.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

1995 CBR F3 Race Bike Resurection

This was my wife's race bike, it's been in storage since she got knocked up with our first in 2010.

It's nothing new or special, basically stock all around but I had switched to racing a 250 last year and I felt I wasn't totally done with the bigger bikes and since we had this sitting around and even though i'm super busy with life in general, working with the race club and working on 4 other bikes I thought what the hell and took on another project -waking this bike and getting it racing again. I thought if I can figure out how to get the bike to track with everything else then I can use it to race in the Formula Classic, Middleweight Superbike, or Sportsman races which should be fun. Although if I did all those races i'd be doing 5 or 6 races a day and running the event! probably not possible..

I brought it home and gave it a quick look over. It looked pretty good with no obvious problems, actually pretty clean.

I stripped it down and got into it. First things first.. I figured i'd pull the carbs and clean them. Although i'd "winterized" it myself I figured this was necessary. Pulling the carbs on this bike was the worst i've ever had to do, the boots are real short and I could barely get a screwdriver on the clamp nuts. Once I finally backed the nuts off I ended up having to pry the carbs out and once I looked into them.. they were spotless! oh well.

I planned on deleting the air solenoid system for the ram air, this is necessary to run the bike without gauges. I need to do something about the dash because we moved the clip-ons to under the top clamp and because of this the levers run out of space into the gauges. I'm looking at modifying the front fairing stay, hoping I can keep the stock gauges and just re-position them to give me more clearance.

I modified the airbox snorkel by cutting it back so that I can run a proper front stand as originally it extended to under the lower clamp.

I'm currently waiting on some parts before putting it all back together. I ordered some new carb boots and I need a new chain link to return the lighter chain and Mission gearing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00001021.jpg (111.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00001039.jpg (112.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (116.8 KB, 0 views)
Advertisement

Last edited by #19; 02-25-2015 at 10:29 AM.
#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #2

Not a heck of a lot going on. Just keeping busy and cleaning thing up. Changed the gearing and chain back, cut off a couple extra bits of metal, added my numbers to the fairings and relocated the gauges.
Since it was so nice I also woke up the SV, the DRZ and the PW50.

Pretty sure i'm going to do a quick fibreglass patch to the upper to fix a crack and get those carbs back on and get it fired up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00001044.jpg (90.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00001043.jpg (131.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00001052.jpg (142.6 KB, 0 views)
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
2-Wheelin' Mod

Keep the updates coming!
Old 04-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #4

No pics but the work continues.
The carbs are installed and the bike is running again. I patched the fairing, ripped out the air solenoid system and fab up a catch bottle in the battery box for all the drain tubes and breather lines.
I just need to install some screws in the steering stops so I don't break my thumbs off in a tank slapper, install some new brake pads and bleed the brakes again, flush the antifreeze out and replace it with water wetter, mount up the fairings and switch to some newer take-offs. Still a bunch of little things but it's coming along.. better be ready in time as May 1st is coming quick!

Worked on it last night after the kids went to bed. The catch bottle has been installed, the steering stops are all done, the new pads are installed and the coolant has been flushed out. I quickly mounted the tail, but I think i'm going to pull it off and add some seat padding, there's this huge gap from where the pad ends and the tank begins, it's not a big deal but my ocd says I don't like it.
All that's left is to mount the upper, some safety wiring, adjust the controls, adjust the suspension and put some new take offs on.

Getting there! which good because I'm need to finish the DRZ and the 250 ASAP! The first PCMRC date is next week..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11143395_10153155934925170_3291003969217307649_n.jpg (114.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by #19; 04-09-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:36 PM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

If I recall, the F3 has 43mm forks...

I have a set of 43mm Woodcraft clipons in my garage that I don't think I'll ever use again, they're yours if you'd like.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #6

WOW that's very generous. Unfortunately my google research says that the clip-ons needed are 41mm. Damn! thanks though.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Looks like I was mistaken, they are 41mm! I had them on my ZX6E before I sold it stock
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:02 AM   #8

Billy that's sounds pretty awesome, I'll have to try and make it out to Richmond sometime.

We're getting really close to May 1st and our first track day/school of 2015!

I've managed to get both the F3 and the 250 running again. The F3 is the wife's old race bike which we've stored since we had our first kid, it was just sitting around so I thought what the heck I'll put it back into service.. It was in surprisingly good shape after sitting for 5 years, I cleaned the carbs, fixed a bunch of stuff and it's pretty much good to go.. just needs some newer take offs. If anyone has any supercorsa takeoffs in a 160 rear.. I'm going to use it in the Sportsman F118 and Middleweight superbike races this year assuming I can find the time.

There's still time to the advance registration price for the May 1 trackday but only a couple spots left in the school. If you are interested contact us at WMRConline@gmail.com and get hooked up. We're gonna have a blast!

If you can't ride we can always use some volunteers to for setup and during the events to help make the track safe for all the riders. If you've got some time to give please drop us a line!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00001093.jpg (106.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00001114.jpg (132.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00001110.jpg (94.9 KB, 0 views)
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #9

I was busy helping run our track and school on friday so a friend of mine rode the F3 all day, only complaint was the tires. I switched the tires but only managed a couple laps of practice on the F3 before the first race. The bike felt fine to me, engine is strong, brakes and suspension fine and handling I could work with. I was up to second when an error dropped me to third and I ended up rushing about trying to fix it before my next race.. ran out of time and went out on cold tires only to push too hard and do this and ruin my weekend. They say nothing broken so I guess that's good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t2.jpg (48.9 KB, 0 views)
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #10
2-Wheelin' Mod

Thought I saw somebody with a silver pickup in Coquitlam with the Honda in the back... good looking race bike regardless!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:19 AM   #11

there's a good chance that was it. it was being driven around in a silver ram pickup.