REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #26
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts

Here is the real color of that goddamn white and gold dress
Advertisement
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #27
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRESHvibe View Post
LMFAO
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #28
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
...okay, when I first saw it on my FB feed, I saw it as white and gold. I click on the story, the new tab opens and the dress is black and blue. So I click back to the FB tab and the story I clicked on is now black and blue as well what the fuck is happening who is wizard
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #29
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

This shit got annoying real quick
boostedcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #30
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,490 Times in 553 Posts
This afternoon it was white and gold and in the evening it turned into black and blue. I looked at it again and now it's white and gold
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #31
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts

First of all, which image is the one being discussed?
These two images are clearly displaying different colours due to the different lighting/contrast settings.

Why does the so-called black area reflect a tint of yellow?

The first image is a bit over exposed. But you cannot change black into yellow tint by just brightening an image. And anyone can tell the second image was taken under low lighting, or it was altered to be darker. The details on the lace are not seen clearly any more, and there is still a yellow tint.

FYI, although the 2nd picture looks "blue", that's how white (or pale gray/blue) would look like under dark conditions. Kind of like how a white car looks like during night time with low lighting. That's not how blue looks like. Especially if it's going to be the deep blue shown here.

IMHO, I think someone took advantage of this clever idea to make something viral by Photoshopping the image, or there was a gold/white dress that was used in the picture, but isn't on sale anymore. Tie it in with the blue/black version, and now everyone is mindfucked.

Here's a picture of a white car taken without a lot of lighting. You can Photoshop it and use the colour sampler tool.
You'll get something like hexcode #728997 in the shaded areas.
Yeah, but the colour of this car is still white.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 02-26-2015 at 10:31 PM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #32
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Taken from reddit.

Quote:

It's a matter of how your mind interprets the lighting. A white-and-gold dress in cool lighting/shadow could have produced that photo, as could a black-and-blue dress in warm yellow lighting. Your mind determines the colors of the dress based on what it assumes the lighting to be like.
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2015, 10:37 PM   #33
I STILL don't get it

Still no fail button darn it.
etodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:24 PM   #34
I bringith the lowerballerith

did someone actually guess black from the first picture though? i can see the purple/blue right away but i dont see(pun) how people could've guessed black from their first guess.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:37 PM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
I knew it was black and blue the first time because I've seen enough shitty pictures taken with potatoes to know what washed out black looks like.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:43 PM   #36
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
I don't understand where people are getting black/blue. I'm sitting here on a $5k rendering rig with colour calibrated S-IPS monitors. It's blue/gold for me.

Either people have very shitty uncalibrated tn-displays or I'm fucking crazy. I think the whole thing is bullshit

/thread

2007 Ducati SportClassic SE #72/100
1979 Honda CB 750 Café-Fighter
2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:54 PM   #37
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Your eyes have retinas, the things that let you interpret color. There’s rods, round things, and cones that stick out, which is what gives your eye a textured appearance in the colored part. The “cones” see color. The “rods” see shade, like black, white and grey. Cones only work when enough light passes through. So while I see the fabric as white, someone else may see it as blue because my cones aren’t responding to the dim lighting. My rods see it as a shade (white). There’s three cones, small, medium and large. They are blue sensitive, green sensitive, and red sensitive.
As for the black bit (which I see as gold), it’s called additive mixing. Blue, green and red are the main colors for additive mixing. This is where it gets really tricky. Subtractive mixing, such as with paint, means the more colors you add the murkier it gets until it’s black. ADDITIVE mixing, when you add the three colors eyes see best, red, green and blue, (not to be confused with primary colors red, blue and yellow) it makes pure white.

—Blue and Black: In conclusion, your retina’s cones are more high functioning, and this results in your eyes doing subtractive mixing.

—White and Gold: our eyes don’t work well in dim light so our retinas rods see white, and this makes them less light sensitive, causing additive mixing, (that of green and red), to make gold.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2015, 12:11 AM   #38
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 View Post
Your eyes have retinas, the things that let you interpret color. There’s rods, round things, and cones that stick out, which is what gives your eye a textured appearance in the colored part. The “cones” see color. The “rods” see shade, like black, white and grey. Cones only work when enough light passes through. So while I see the fabric as white, someone else may see it as blue because my cones aren’t responding to the dim lighting. My rods see it as a shade (white). There’s three cones, small, medium and large. They are blue sensitive, green sensitive, and red sensitive.
As for the black bit (which I see as gold), it’s called additive mixing. Blue, green and red are the main colors for additive mixing. This is where it gets really tricky. Subtractive mixing, such as with paint, means the more colors you add the murkier it gets until it’s black. ADDITIVE mixing, when you add the three colors eyes see best, red, green and blue, (not to be confused with primary colors red, blue and yellow) it makes pure white.

—Blue and Black: In conclusion, your retina’s cones are more high functioning, and this results in your eyes doing subtractive mixing.

—White and Gold: our eyes don’t work well in dim light so our retinas rods see white, and this makes them less light sensitive, causing additive mixing, (that of green and red), to make gold.
So is this process true for a picture as well? since its a picture on a monitor, i would assume its not?

knowing that washed out black in a picture looks like gold and in turn guessing that the dress is blue&black is different than actually seeing black in the picture, which i dont understand how someone can see it that way.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:24 AM   #39
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2015, 12:29 AM   #40
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
for those who don't get it...

it's because they you are still seeing one side of the "delusion". You are either seeing the truth, or you are seeing a delusion and your perspective is stuck on one of them, that's why the whole thing seems stupid or you totally don't get it.

it's nothing to do with color blindness, or shade blindness or whatever.

it's nothing to do with the technicality of the photo. like "it's a bad quality faded photo, i can see why people are confused".

for those still using those kinda explanations, you are also possibly stuck in the delusion, or you've just always seen the truth and can't be deluded from it.

the best i can describe it is this... for those who have seen the shift in perspective/expectation/color.

Two women are walking down the street, they both see an ad for this dress, the ad looks exactly like the picture in question. they both decide they will go buy the dress together.

they arrive at the mall and find this exact cut of dress. one lady is all happy cuz she found the dress... the other lady is confused and wondering what the fuck is going on, cuz she sees the cut, but the color is completely fucking wrong and totally not the same shit they were looking at.

"this is the blue and black dress!!!"
"what the fuck? where is the white and Egyptian gold dress?!"
"what? what are you talking about?"
"uhhh that pic... the white and gold dress?"
"uhhh no it's blue and black, exactly like the one im holding now"

for those who saw the shift saw the extreme shift in colors like the above example, most of you probably thought your friends were trolling you (i did).

I was asked what color it was, and i said white and gold. they didn't reply. well i duno the nature of the question... that was retarded... its obviously white and gold.

3 hours later, i scroll back to the chat and i see a thumbnail of a blue and black dress... what the fuck when did they send this? wait the time stamp says its the old pic... what the fuck? open it... it's fucking blue and black... who the fuck switched the photo in the chat? how did they do that? are they fucking with me? what the fuck is happening?

story of the day bros.

edit: this is like a mini psychedelic micro trip. a lesson in perspective, and how expectations from the subconscious shift what your senses detect and how your brain interprets it. The world is an illluuuussiiooonnnnnnnnnn... we're all in some kinda matrix yo.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 02-27-2015 at 12:35 AM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-27-2015, 12:40 AM   #41
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
^Had the exact same thing happen to me just now. At the time I posted that meme, I would've bet my life on that pic being black and blue. Now, I see it being a white and gold dress in some shitty lighting.

I wasn't able to distinguish the white or the gold earlier, and now I'm completely blown away.
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:37 AM   #42
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
did someone actually guess black from the first picture though? i can see the purple/blue right away but i dont see(pun) how people could've guessed black from their first guess.
Maybe it's because I'm familiar with how lighting colour temp affects photography, but was immediately noticeable to me.

I still can't comprehend someone seeing white at all, but I guess I'll never get it.

I know that overly 'cool' photos can make whites look like they have a blue tint. If it was an ALL blue dress, with no background at all, then I can understand someone thinking it's white. But this SHOULD be compensated by the fact that the rest of the image has a yellow tint. . Yellow lighting, and yellow shine on the black means the dress is blue. That's what made it obvious for me
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:07 AM   #43
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
it's going to be discussed on the bbc in a few mins... -_-

i see lavender & gold....and so does photoshop

seems more like those saying black/blue are saying so due to the obvious potato/exposure issues of the image and not based on what they're actually seeing

massive trolls

now im seeing black and blue.....time to log this if i ever need to deal with 'eyewitnesses'

Last edited by StylinRed; 02-27-2015 at 04:31 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-27-2015, 04:25 AM   #44
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,735 Times in 812 Posts
5:30 Am Friday

Last edited by N.V.M.; 11-13-2022 at 01:18 PM.
N.V.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:35 AM   #45
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
I saw black and blue at first glance and see it every time, even the adjusted ones where it's supposed to look like white and gold I still see it as blue and black. In fact I haven't seen a single photoshop that has gotten me to see white-gold at first glance.

What I'm interested in now is if there's any significance to those who see it as blue and those who see it as white. Is it because one's brains are better at compensating for context, or one is better at isolating features.

I know anecdotally the white-gold people seem to be more steadfast about it.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback

Last edited by sonick; 02-27-2015 at 06:46 AM.
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #46
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
It's a shitty picture of an ugly dress for fucks sake.

What nobody has mentioned is: are you arguing about the colour it actually is, or the colour it appears in your screen after being photographed with a carrot? It doesn't matter how good your eyes or screens are when the source is garbage.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #47
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Despite how seemingly inane the photo is, evolutionarily speaking, those who see it as black and blue could be said as superior since they are able to contextualize the colours to accurately portray how it looks in reality despite the poor image.

E.g. if a cop came and asked what colour the dress was in order to catch a suspect, if the person said it was white and gold it'd be incorrect.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
It's a shitty picture of an ugly dress for fucks sake.

What nobody has mentioned is: are you arguing about the colour it actually is, or the colour it appears in your screen after being photographed with a carrot? It doesn't matter how good your eyes or screens are when the source is garbage.
Nobody is arguing, it's just fascinating. Like I still can't comprehend someone seeing it as white. It just makes my brain spin.

And for some people it goes "back and forth"? That's mind boggling.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #49
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
THIS THREAD/TOPIC/"TREND"

1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #50

Quote: