REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #26
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBishop View Post
I think that only the application process has been consolidated, ie one application makes you eligible for both. The amount received is still separated into federal and provincial portions.
AFAIK any accounts that were active in September 2011 were consolidated into a joint "Canada-British Columbia Integrated Student Loan", how this affects this bill I have no idea. I'm not entirely sure the legality of this entire thing as StudentAidBC still delineates between BC and Canada Student Loans. However after the 2011 consolidation of my active account, all payments are made through the Federal NSLSC.

I would suspect this is irrelevant anyways as a majority of Student Loans in default are likely from years prior to the consolidation. However, this is quite interesting.

Quote:
This is a total of your combined Canada and B.C. loans authorized by StudentAid BC and does not reflect any loans not cashed or payments you may have made. For information on the amount you owe on your Canada – B.C. integrated student loan account, contact the National Student Loans Service Centre.
Advertisement
tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #27
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I was on a post September 2011 student loan from May 2014 to when I paid it off late last year.

It's a monthly payment taken directly out of your bank account.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #28
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
ITT: People try to defend those who abuse the system.
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
lol, I'm not torn in any way. If you owe money that you promised to pay, then simply pay the fuck up or don't drive. There may be a few rare cases where people after graduation are struggling to meet ends meet and would perhaps require an alternative payment schedule, but I guarantee you that majority are just wasting their $ on gadgets and being lazy asses. Gotta love this idle generation that love to claim victimization status. Spoiled as fuck.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #30
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I don't understand the how effective this execution would be.

1) If one borrows student loan, doesn't he need to have a guarantor to back-up the debt?
2) if one decides to leave the country without paying the loan, he doesn't even need to renew his driver's license

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #31
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
In the end, this also points that education here and in North America in general is too damn expensive.
We live in Canada where education is highly subsidized. Just ask what a foreign student pays. Also, tuition prices vary by province and regions such as Quebec are like 2/3's of what they are in BC.

Tuition only seems expensive if you live on your own and have to cover living expenses as well. Harder, but definitely doable depending how motivated you are. Since most people aren't, they will find it tough. I know countless stories of people who made it through university with graduate degrees who didn't come from wealthy families but financed it by loans, working, and scholarships. Their work ethic is second to none.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 02-27-2015 at 09:29 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #32
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
I'm not saying these people are victims. No doubt they need a good reality check and some aggressive tactics. I personally am taking school "slow" so I can work part time to pay for school instead of taking out loans. Considering how stagnant our job market is right now, I don't understand everyone's rush to graduate with zero work experience. Plus, I hate debt.

But this "plan" is incredibly counterintuitive. Making it harder for people to find work isn't going to help said people scrounge up the money to pay back their loans.

It's like you telling me to go catch some fish to feed the both of us and then breaking my fishing rod in half. Is it doable? Yes... but at the end of the day it makes no sense.
If you pay your loan on time then you will be fine. Also if you can't find a job to pay your loans right away all you have to do is call up student loan and tell them "Hey I don't have job now can I start paying my loans 6 months later?" They will defer the date for sure. Sure they still charge you interest on it but hey at least you don't have to pay and keep your liscense.

Once you get a job then start paying up. Why should people who play by the rules get screw? I pay back every penny I owe to student loans + interest. In fact during my first few years of graduate all my money goes to food, rent and student loan. Paid it all off in 1.5 years to avoid paying the gov more interest.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:08 PM   #33
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
It's like you telling me to go catch some fish to feed the both of us and then breaking my fishing rod in half. Is it doable? Yes... but at the end of the day it makes no sense.
No, its like me selling you a fishing rod so you can lean how to fish but telling you that you need to pay me 1 fish for every 2 fish you catch until you pay for the fishing rod. But instead you keep both fish and trade one of the fish for a fart pipe for your civic.

And after me continually asking you to give me my fish, and trying to make arrangements with you to only pay me half a fish instead of a whole fish, or look for some assurance that I might get my fish in the future, I get fed up with not getting any fish, and tell my buddy at the gas bar that hes not allowed to sell you any gas until I get the fish you owe me.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:21 AM   #34
Need to Seek Professional Help

The government should just garnish their wages or take the money out of tax refunds and such?
RS_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:32 AM   #35
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Does anyone know if their credit is affected when the loans get written off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
on the other hand. not everyone may have the same privileges as others. i for example didnt do post secondary as i was on my own working full time since i was 16/17 (not my choice) so if i was to take out a student loan, get my education, maybe find a good job but may find a shitty job that hardly covered living expenses.. well it would be a little difficult to pay back my loan in a time sensitive fashion.. so making it hard to get a licence would only dig the hole deeper.
If you're having a hard time paying back the loans you can contact them and work out changes to your repayment schedule, you'd only have it come up at ICBC if you aren't making payments and haven't bothered to make alternative arrangements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
misuse of student loans is an issue but writing off bad debts/loans isn't

I'm on the side that feels the gov't. should pay for post secondary education, like many European, and other, countries do
It would only benefit the nation in the long run, and we should be able to afford it as comparable countries can do so + provide many other social programs
If they do pay for it, I feel like their need to be more restrictions on it. For starters the money should go straight to the school, not the dumbass who wants the money to do a motor swap. They'd also need to set it up so that if people change their mind and don't complete a program, or change programs partway through, they have to repay the wasted cost unless they go back and finish within X years. The number of people who bail out of programs or take useless ones would waste a huge amount of money that the gov't shouldn't pay.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2015, 07:38 AM   #36
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
FunkyColdMedina just doesn't seem to get it with his fucked up logic.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #37
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Does anyone know if their credit is affected when the loans get written off?
Even if you are late for a single monthly payment, your credit score will be affected like a late credit card payment.

This is why I wonder how effective this policy will be. If you are willing to drive your credit score to the ground over 100~200 per month, I don't think this is going to convince them to start paying.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #38
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
oh shit what if the person is actually having a financial difficulty?
the bad thing about Canadian student loan is that it can't be eliminated by filing bankruptcy.

and taking license away is a bad idea since a lot of people need a license for their jobs.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #39

and not to mention University Degree is a new High School Diploma.

It's not like back in the day, if you had a University Degree, somebody will hire you and you will have a successful life.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #40
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I don't think ICBC, as a company, is reliable enough to handle another database for tracking and collection. This is based on my personal experience with ICBC. I am not sure what the specific problem is logistically, but they have made numerous mistakes in the past specifically with the bill that I have to pay or the exact amount of insurance discount that I was eligible for. My feeling is that the discrepancy usually comes from the software side of things. It seems to me that the software they commissioned is full of bugs and there really isn't any kind of accountability on their software lifecycle.
DSHDSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #41
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
oh shit what if the person is actually having a financial difficulty?
the bad thing about Canadian student loan is that it can't be eliminated by filing bankruptcy.

and taking license away is a bad idea since a lot of people need a license for their jobs.
Are you too lazy to read ANYTHING, or just plain stupid?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #42
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K_o__o View Post
I don't understand the how effective this execution would be.

1) If one borrows student loan, doesn't he need to have a guarantor to back-up the debt?
2) if one decides to leave the country without paying the loan, he doesn't even need to renew his driver's license
You don't need a guarantor for a government student load. You need one for a education line of credit from a bank unless you're in a program like med school, law school, dentistry, etc.

And your 2nd point, yah he'll be free of having to pay it back if that is the case
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_city23 View Post
You don't need a guarantor for a government student load. You need one for a education line of credit from a bank unless you're in a program like med school, law school, dentistry, etc.

And your 2nd point, yah he'll be free of having to pay it back if that is the case
oh shit son, I've seen so many university students going back to their country after grad.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #44
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
So,...do you know the correct way to address someone with an Arts degree...with majors in polysci, women's studies and philosophy???....."Yes I will supersize that order".
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #45

ICBC to collect unpaid student loans? | Watch News Videos Online
Old 02-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #46

duhh...

ICBC
End ICBC Monopoly
Old 02-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #47

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
let it stain your credit history and may be affect your academic records like when you're caught lending/selling your u-pass but it should be penalized solely in educational affairs and not affect your driving privileges

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_city23 View Post
You don't need a guarantor for a government student load
incorrect? at least not the case few years back.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 02-28-2015 at 03:40 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #48
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Actually it's not a bad idea - support it 100% as long as it does not increase the Admin costs for ICBC which will increase my premiums.

People do what is inspected not what is expected.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Actually it's not a bad idea - support it 100% as long as it does not increase the Admin costs for ICBC which will increase my premiums.

People do what is inspected not what is expected.
it's not that simple, more people lose their license, which means more people lose their jobs. Less tax income for government & more people go on welfare, it's just gonna cost tax payer more money.
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #50
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
If you have debts....man up and own up to it. Don't run and hide finding loopholes.

Goin through ICBC is wrong...opens up a can of worms..cell phone and bc hydo companies are next to collect using ICBC?
Good idea. Don't pay student loans = no BC Hydro service.

I tend to agree with this policy. DL is a previlige, not a right. It seems to be a reasonable deterrent for those living in BC.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: