REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:18 PM   #51
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
it's not that simple, more people lose their license, which means more people lose their jobs. Less tax income for government & more people go on welfare, it's just gonna cost tax payer more money.
Fuck that. If you're unethical enough to just "not pay", then whatever job you have that requires a driving license isn't warranted.

If you got your job with your degree, then pay them back. The payments aren't ridiculous either - if you're making a decent salary (since you're a grad), and it's not terribly difficult. As mentioned, you can also defer payments, etc, if you're having financial hardship.

I hate ICBC (their greed, their drive for profit, etc.) as much as the next guy, but I also hate ignorant fucks who piggyback off of righteous people - these are the assholes who want everything they think they deserve, while not giving back anything, not even the bare minimum of what it means to be a functioning member of society.
Advertisement
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #52
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
maybe government shouldn't be giving out student loan so easily.
people need to learn how to save money first, once they have money, go back to school.

people having hard time paying off what? $25,000-$30,000?
If you work your ass off, you might be able to save that much money in 1-3 years depending on what job you have.

so graduate high school, work hard, then go back to school.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-01-2015, 12:24 AM   #53
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

incorrect? at least not the case few years back.
I went through it recently. If you're not less than 4 years out of high school, then no parent info needed. If are less than 4, u have to put their details in but I'm certain they don't sign or take any responsibility. Do correct me if I'm wrong. I went through it 3 years ago.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #54
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Do they give them out that easy? When I went back to school in 2000 I couldn't get a student loan because I was still working and they said I made to much money. I had to go to the bank and get a line of credit so I could go work during the morning/early afternoon and go to school late afternoon/nights, I did that for 2 years full years.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #55
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
people need to learn how to save money first, once they have money, go back to school.

people having hard time paying off what? $25,000-$30,000?
If you work your ass off, you might be able to save that much money in 1-3 years depending on what job you have.

so graduate high school, work hard, then go back to school.
How many high school grads are saving $8.3k-$30k/year fresh out of school?

Most would be working for near minimum wage.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Do they give them out that easy? When I went back to school in 2000 I couldn't get a student loan because I was still working and they said I made to much money. I had to go to the bank and get a line of credit so I could go work during the morning/early afternoon and go to school late afternoon/nights, I did that for 2 years full years.
They check bank statements for you and your parents, and if they have any RESP's, etc. They also check to see if you have any assets under your name (car, mainly) that you can sell.

But what some chumps will do is they'll "fake" poverty just so they can get a big loan, even though they have the cash.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #57
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
They check bank statements for you and your parents, and if they have any RESP's, etc. They also check to see if you have any assets under your name (car, mainly) that you can sell.

But what some chumps will do is they'll "fake" poverty just so they can get a big loan, even though they have the cash.
why would you "fake" poverty to get a loan?

I heard some dishonest people fake poverty to get a welfare, but for loan, you have to pay back with interest. At least that's the premise.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:39 PM   #58
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Ever heard of time value of money? If I can borrow $40,000 now to invest, and only to pay back without any interest later as soon as I graduate, of course I would obtain the loan. The interest only start to accumulate after 6 months of graduation IIRC.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #59
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
I hope I'm not too late to join the discussion.

I kind of understand where the Government and this proposed bill is coming from, as people escaping their student loans is costing us taxpayers a ton of money. But with most any new legislation, presidence needs to be carefully considered. It's always a slippery slope with these kinds of things.

I absolutely cannot agree with unnecessarily giving more power to our Government.

Yes, I get that driving is a privilege but considering our transit system, it is also a necessity. You simply cannot get around (with any efficiency anyways) with our low population density and our inversely large geographic area.

ICBC as a mechanism is not designed for this and would need to revamp their internal infrastructure, or at least add some sort of new department -- for which enforcing student loan payback, logically -- for any for-profit corporation, Government run or not, could only be the first step.

Politically, student loan debt-payback is obviously something easy to rally for, especially since most of us have had to or are still paying back ours. This is a fairly logical position to argue this type of legislation.

But it's too much of a stretch. If they were to consider not giving out passports maybe, just maybe -- and it's a pretty small maybe, I'd agree, but ICBC is an insurance company, simple as that. This is not a mechanism for punishment or enforcing miscellaneous Government debts.

I'm totally against this proposed methodology and I think everyone should be against such an erosion of our freedoms as well.

2007 Ducati SportClassic SE #72/100
1979 Honda CB 750 Café-Fighter
2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #60
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ If they can't even pay their debt, they have no business to get a car or get insurance for it.

I am all for it. The only way to actually make people start paying is to hurt them where it hurts.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #61
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,925 Times in 3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananana View Post
I absolutely cannot agree with unnecessarily giving more power to our Government.
I have a hard time considering it unnecessary when over 90% of the loans aren't being paid back.

Quote:
Yes, I get that driving is a privilege but considering our transit system, it is also a necessity. You simply cannot get around (with any efficiency anyways) with our low population density and our inversely large geographic area.
Then maybe people should think of that before they go skimping on their loan repayment. It's their own damn fault if they can't be bothered to ensure they have access to a privilege by either paying their loan or filling out some papers.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I have a hard time considering it unnecessary when over 90% of the loans aren't being paid back.

Then maybe people should think of that before they go skimping on their loan repayment. It's their own damn fault if they can't be bothered to ensure they have access to a privilege by either paying their loan or filling out some papers.
Quote:
But it's too much of a stretch. If they were to consider not giving out passports maybe, just maybe -- and it's a pretty small maybe, I'd agree, but ICBC is an insurance company, simple as that. This is not a mechanism for punishment or enforcing miscellaneous Government debts.
I'm not against, in any way, a recovery mechanism for unpaid student loan debt. I'm against ICBC being used for this purpose.

2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
Old 03-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #63
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
if a guy in detroit can walk 21 miles to work, these freeloaders can afford to wake up 2 hours early to get to work on time on our transit system
Old 03-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #64

Another thing to add to the debate:

Currently, individuals with delinquent accounts (150-270 days past-due) of outstanding student loan debt are unable to receive tax returns, dividends from shares or receive lottery winnings without the money being first appropriated to the unpaid debt.

"When you default on the federal portion of your student loan, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) handles collections to retrieve the money owed to the Government of Canada. They can withhold your GST cheques or income tax refund and apply that amount to your defaulted debt..."
Source: What happens if you default on student loans

Considering that it's almost impossible to not at the very least file a tax return, it's obvious that a large portion of this unpaid debt is coming from individuals that probably do not live in the country -- and would be unaffected by ICBC as a mechanism for enforcement.

2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)

Last edited by bananana; 03-03-2015 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Added sources because I was a lazy bastard earlier.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #65

Quote:

Currently, individuals with outstanding student loan debt are unable to receive tax returns, dividends from shares or receive lottery winnings without the money being first appropriated to the unpaid debt.

Considering that it's almost impossible to not at the very least file a tax return, it's obvious that a large portion of this unpaid debt is coming from individuals that probably do not live in the country -- and would be unaffected by ICBC as a mechanism for enforcement.
I'm going to assume that by "outstanding" you mean in collection mode; I still have student loans in repayment and I receive tax returns just fine.

Also, you are not eligible for a student loan unless you're at least a Permanent Resident, if not a Citizen of Canada. So unless you're saying Canadians are defecting to other countries to not pay back their loan, provide proof that
Quote:
it's obvious that a large portion of this unpaid debt is coming from individuals that probably do not live in the country
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2015, 06:06 PM   #66
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Talking about student loans, I had received one last year and was requested to pay after the end of my first year. I have yet to graduate and they said that if I chose not to pay they would tack on a 1.9% interest rate every month following the 30 day grace period after the end of my first year. I legit have no idea why I have to repay so early, but meh, the payments are only like $60 a month

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Talking about student loans, I had received one last year and was requested to pay after the end of my first year. I have yet to graduate and they said that if I chose not to pay they would tack on a 1.9% interest rate every month following the 30 day grace period after the end of my first year. I legit have no idea why I have to repay so early, but meh, the payments are only like $60 a month
The grace period is 6 months, not 30 days. Also even if you don't get more loans, as long as you provide proof of enrollment, the grace period doesn't begin as far as I remember.

Also the interest rate is calculated at prime + %.

So, from everything you've said, it's either not a "Canada" student loan and rather a private one (through a bank or something), or the person you talked to really didn't like you lol
Old 03-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #68
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,925 Times in 3,877 Posts
Quote:

Currently, individuals with outstanding student loan debt are unable to receive tax returns, dividends from shares or receive lottery winnings without the money being first appropriated to the unpaid debt.

Those only work if the person would be getting a return, dividends, or lotto winnings. And even then, how many people are getting a significant enough return to make a dent in a loan worth tens of thousands of dollars?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
I'm going to assume that by "outstanding" you mean in collection mode; I still have student loans in repayment and I receive tax returns just fine.

Also, you are not eligible for a student loan unless you're at least a Permanent Resident, if not a Citizen of Canada. So unless you're saying Canadians are defecting to other countries to not pay back their loan, provide proof that
You are in repayment. My post was regarding defaulted loans. Also, It is quite easy to receive Permanent Resident status -- who are eligible for student loans.

2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
Old 03-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
^^ If they can't even pay their debt, they have no business to get a car or get insurance for it.

I am all for it. The only way to actually make people start paying is to hurt them where it hurts.
Remember that we live in a forward-thinking country that believes in restorative justice. Of course this is far from a criminal justice issue, but this thinking is ingrained within all areas of our constitutional rights. This is the kind of research-backed thinking that elevates Canada above many other countries.

The Government is not tasked with the pursuit of petty revenge on behalf of angered citizens. Perhaps we should follow the example of Saudi Arabia and give 1000 lashes, or better yet, remove the hands of anyone caught defaulting on their loans?

I don't get where the fails are coming from but keep 'em coming. I'm not against finding methods of retrieving defaulted debts from the type of asshole that would default on paying back what would be considered an extremely generous assistance program. I finally paid back over $50,000 of student loans just last year. I'm just worried about an erosion of rights through this particular mechanism of enforcement.

2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #71
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
^ That's a shitty analogy. We're hardly en route to a slippery slope that involves an invasion of privacy that is tantamount to punishment by decapitations.

I get the human capital aspect - it's important for a government to invest in its citizens. However, the government has to have some means of recovering the costs of that investment - whether it's through increased taxation, or recovering a loan that it has paid interest on.

It's tough for people who have attended post-secondary over the last 10 years. Costs have skyrocketed and the return on investment has shrunk for many programs (even if you went the trade route). On the other hand, I made it through university and my 20s with a shitty Honda and I lived at home for the duration of my post-secondary schooling. I got co-op jobs, worked part-time during school, got scholarships, and didn't have to take out any student loans. I still did stupid stuff that any 20-something does like getting drunk at the bar. It wasn't until the age of 28 that I finally bought a money pit of a car (i.e. A BMW). Some food for thought.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #72
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
If people don't pay child support they get their wages garnished. Why does this not apply to student loans? Wouldn't wage garnishment be easier and more effective than using ICBC and giving them even more power over the populous than they already have?

Berz out.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #73
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I don't like this kind of interconnectedness even if I agree that some collection measures need to be taken. This certainly isn't it.

How about ICBC withholding licensing for overdue library fees. Or for people late with their credit card payment.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #74
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Canada Student Loan Rehabilitation - CanLearn

I defaulted. I lost my job last year and was unemployed for about 6 months and went into some dark brooding avoidance.

Im back on track but this is useful to get your shit together.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #75
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
If people don't pay child support they get their wages garnished. Why does this not apply to student loans? Wouldn't wage garnishment be easier and more effective than using ICBC and giving them even more power over the populous than they already have?

Berz out.
They actually do get garnished. Just takes a lot longer and they have to have ignored CRA/Student Loan people for years (no contact whatsoever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote