REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Thinking about getting custom plate from icbc. What are your guys experience with it? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701862-thinking-about-getting-custom-plate-icbc-what-your-guys-experience.html)

clevernickname 02-27-2015 07:02 PM

Thinking about getting custom plate from icbc. What are your guys experience with it?

Any bad attention? Anything I should be aware of aside from the $100 one time fee and $40 yearly fee?

I know a lot get veteod or retracted though...

Licence to offend: ICBC's list of banned vanity plates - British Columbia - CBC News

any good ones you guys have or have seen?

zilley 02-27-2015 07:06 PM

its a cool idea, but why put a name to your car. everyone will know its "that" car again.

SumAznGuy 02-27-2015 07:12 PM

My faves include a black Genesis with the plate Y SO SRS
White convertible Rustang with the plate L8R G8R
In the US, there was a corvette with a plate that read 8A4RE

clevernickname 02-27-2015 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 8602680)
Rustang

Pun intended?

boostedcivic 02-27-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevernickname (Post 8602684)
Pun intended?

Auto correct just knows what's up

jdmfemme 02-27-2015 07:35 PM

Edit: double post.

I goofed.

jdmfemme 02-27-2015 07:39 PM

If you want to know if a slogan is available you can go into an Autoplan office and ask the agent to call the personalized plate department Monday - Friday before 4pm and see if it's available before wasting your money, (I do this for my clients quite often). They won't always confirm whether it will be refused for being inappropriate or not over the phone, but they can let you know whether it's available. :) There can always be a pending application on someone's desk ready to take the slogan before you can get it though, so be quick!

Slogans can also only be a combo of 6 letters or numbers with some allowance for space(s) or hyphen.

Link to ICBC website with personalized number plate information: Personalized licence plates

dared3vil0 02-27-2015 08:02 PM

Go for it as long as you don't do something like putting your last name on the plate.

My personal fav was a loud 911 Turbo S that had "V8 LOL" as the plate. :lawl:

meme405 02-27-2015 08:22 PM

I have one. Meh.

I did it for laughs, didn't realize most people would think it meant FiXED UP instead of a twist on fucked up and the car's model.

If I were to do it again I would have just taken the triple zero plates the insurance place offered me.

Been thinking about changing mine. Might do it next year.

dared3vil0 02-27-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8602718)
I have one. Meh.

I did it for laughs, didn't realize most people would think it meant FiXED UP instead of a twist on fucked up and the car's model.

If I were to do it again I would have just taken the triple zero plates the insurance place offered me.

Been thinking about changing mine. Might do it next year.

Wait it doesn't mean "Fixed up"? as in modified to your liking?

Mind=blown.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...vI7IA8k5ys-nfA

meme405 02-27-2015 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dared3vil0 (Post 8602723)
Wait it doesn't mean "Fixed up"? as in modified to your liking?

Mind=blown.

It wasn't till I showed a family member the document for when I ordered the plate that they pointed out it looks like fixed up. At first I didn't like that, now the idea of people thinking it means that doesn't bother me really. If anything it's even more comical when you see this broken looking thing parked on a street corner with it's collapsed suspension.

OP just make sure you like the plate, cause $100 wasted if you decide to revert back after a couple months.

Also as someone said above, people will instinctively remember your vehicle with a custom plate. Which means you can't go around pissing people off, cause one day someone is gonna catch up with you.

rJZx 02-27-2015 09:04 PM

http://home.comcast.net/~sonialynn/bbq/drmike.jpg

Gerbs 02-27-2015 10:33 PM

I seen a qx70 with a plate Its a FX

white rocket 02-27-2015 11:39 PM

Best plate ever

I had a personal plate back in '99 and it was cool at the time. Got lame with people asking and just attracting attention in general. I eventually went back to a normal blue and white the following year.

Soundy 02-27-2015 11:53 PM

I had SOUNDY plates. Still have them, actually, although they "expired" after my car died and got taken off the road - I'll have to reapply if I want them again.

Now that I have my HAM license, I'm just waiting for my VA7SDY plates to arrive... those are "no extra charge" though.

The_AK 02-28-2015 02:04 AM

You'll get about as much bad attention as your currently do with your username

Zordon 02-28-2015 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmfemme (Post 8602696)
If you want to know if a slogan is available you can go into an Autoplan office and ask the agent to call the personalized plate department Monday - Friday before 4pm and see if it's available before wasting your money, (I do this for my clients quite often). They won't always confirm whether it will be refused for being inappropriate or not over the phone, but they can let you know whether it's available. :) There can always be a pending application on someone's desk ready to take the slogan before you can get it though, so be quick!

Slogans can also only be a combo of 6 letters or numbers with some allowance for space(s) or hyphen.

Link to ICBC website with personalized number plate information: Personalized licence plates

The general public can call in as well. If your application is rejected, you do get your $100 dollars back.

Best one i've seen is "PHO KNG"

a00755836 02-28-2015 08:05 AM

SpartanAir 02-28-2015 08:20 AM

One of the best personal plates I've seen around town, was on one of the first Smart Cars, and was definitely a Simpsons fan: "SMRT" :lawl:

I applied a while back for my GTR, like "GOJIRA" but it was rejected. Glad I didn't get it because today it might be considered racist, even if it passed.

I think there are better ways to spend my money now on cosmetic mods...

Zedbra 02-28-2015 09:29 AM

I see Berserk didn't get his plate. :accepted:

Soundy 02-28-2015 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedbra (Post 8602891)
I see Berserk didn't get his plate. :accepted:

Attachment 23966

Zedbra 02-28-2015 10:14 AM

http://media.giphy.com/media/pEP4CwhG1f1uw/giphy.gif

clevernickname 02-28-2015 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 8602824)
You'll get about as much bad attention as your currently do with your username

hahaha i had no idea RS was so snobby about internet names. that hurts deep down. let me go back to drawing board and spend 5 minutes hoping i can make an internet name people will like!

you're cool buddy

Ikkaku 02-28-2015 10:31 AM

I've looked through some of the list.... so 'CHINA' gets approved but something like 'FASTBK' or 'RWB 993' doesn't ...

clevernickname 02-28-2015 10:35 AM

seems BC is a lot more sensitive compared to the states. sucks for us.