REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Travel Insurance

Recommendations for third party travel insurance when traveling? Whether it is a certain company or specifics such as liability amount?

I do have work benefits but its quite minimal.
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Manulife/TIC

Maybe ask someone you know in the industry
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2015, 01:00 AM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
i have always used pacific blue cross. i also get additional discounts off them due to my workplace.

i have heard others use bank's travel insurance. you might want to check that out.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Go go to an insurance broker. Its usually more feasable to buy a year apposed to 2 weeks or a month
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

if you need a broker my cousin does it...i had some medical issues while i was away and had TIC insurance, they covered all my costs
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
when you talk to a broker, ask how the payment process works if you have some work coverage.

i remember the company broker told us not to buy travel insurance as our company already had it, and if you ever needed to use it both insurance companies will point at each other and hold out on paying out.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
Pacific Blue Cross is easy. Just buy online. (Assuming you have no existing health conditions. If you do, then go see a local insurance broker and make sure you disclose).
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
nma
#RVG

Pacific blue cross.. Like others said just buy online takes like 5 min
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #9
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,931 Times in 583 Posts
I usually went with BCAA in vancouver. Easy and cheap.

Im using TD's yearly one right now. You get a discount if you use their bank.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Go with a broker... there are far too many fine prints in the regular travel insurance.

Tell the broker what you are planning to do, what coverage you'd like and they will price it out accordingly and specifically.

I no longer get regular travel insurance after finding out that most of them don't cover any sort of climbing activities. (to an extend that any activities on a mountain, even just normal hiking) So I now just get specific policies for specific tasks. They are priced pretty much the same or just slightly higher or even lower (as I'd opt out some useless stuff) and I know I'm covered for the specific activities I'd be doing on a trip.

If your broker can't assist you on this, keep on calling until you find one that knows what to do. It shouldn't be hard.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #11
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I use RBC since I bank with them. My company have travel insurance but is so complicated and you have to file like 4 months beforehand and a list of place and activities you will be doing. Too much work lol.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:24 AM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Go with a broker... there are far too many fine prints in the regular travel insurance.

Tell the broker what you are planning to do, what coverage you'd like and they will price it out accordingly and specifically.

I no longer get regular travel insurance after finding out that most of them don't cover any sort of climbing activities. (to an extend that any activities on a mountain, even just normal hiking) So I now just get specific policies for specific tasks. They are priced pretty much the same or just slightly higher or even lower (as I'd opt out some useless stuff) and I know I'm covered for the specific activities I'd be doing on a trip.

If your broker can't assist you on this, keep on calling until you find one that knows what to do. It shouldn't be hard.
care to share who you use?

80-90% of my trip will be outdoor activities so I would prefer to have my ass covered should emergencies come up.

also want one that covers trip interruption...with multiple flights it only takes one delay to fuck everything up lol

Last edited by twitchyzero; 01-26-2017 at 12:31 AM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:02 AM   #13
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I get mine online from BCAA
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Check credit cards. Mine covers me year round. Most $100-150 cards come with it
Pay a bit more for my card but it comes back to me on the benefits + higher return. Worth if you use your card often

Example. TD infinite travel card.
Benefits inlcude
- Travel pts (roughly 1.33-1.5% back in pts)
- travel insurance
- bag/luggage insurance
- car rental insurance
- couple of other small things
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:35 PM   #15

my credit card does rental car insurance and lost lugguage...but i will double check dont think it has flight cancelations/medical....and like someone said medical usually has bunch of fine prints exclusions excluding sthing as simple as hiking.

they're also a major PITA to deal with in my exp
Old 01-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #16
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,563 Times in 1,712 Posts
Check your employee benefits as well. Most employer plans carry travel insurance, to which you really don't need to purchase privately (I work in this industry for Group Benefits).
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #17
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Since making this thread, I've done two trips with BCAA insurance. And then one trip being covered by TD CC and work benefits.

Thanks for reminding me, I'll need to look into it again for my up coming trip, but I suspect I'll be fine with the TD CC and work benefits again.

Good to note about the physical activities things such as climbing and hiking though.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #18
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Another thing to remember is if you have benefits through work say Blue Cross but you get travel insurance through a different company say BCAA make sure you read the coverage to see in the event of an incident who pays. In a lot of cases the company you buy from might have something stating if you get into an incident that they will ask your primary benefits company if you have one to pay the first portion say 70% then the company you bought insurance from will cover the remaining 30%.

This is huge especially if you get into a serious incident. Common for most people's work benefits to have a lifetime coverage of say 1million dollars which slowly gets used up when you go to the dentist, get meds, massages etc etc but if you suddenly get hit with a big amount say 600k for a major incident then you can pretty much kiss your work benefits good buy and know that it likely won't cover you for the rest of your working career unless of course you switch jobs, are already close to retirement so who cares etc.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2017, 11:45 PM   #19

i ended up going for manulife's coverage (similar to Costco's) through flight centre
medical + trip interruptions is less than $8/day

they cover scuba diving and hiking, but not mountaineering (if ice axe and crampons are involved)
Old 03-01-2017, 06:12 AM   #20
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Another thing to remember is if you have benefits through work say Blue Cross but you get travel insurance through a different company say BCAA make sure you read the coverage to see in the event of an incident who pays. In a lot of cases the company you buy from might have something stating if you get into an incident that they will ask your primary benefits company if you have one to pay the first portion say 70% then the company you bought insurance from will cover the remaining 30%.

This is huge especially if you get into a serious incident. Common for most people's work benefits to have a lifetime coverage of say 1million dollars which slowly gets used up when you go to the dentist, get meds, massages etc etc but if you suddenly get hit with a big amount say 600k for a major incident then you can pretty much kiss your work benefits good buy and know that it likely won't cover you for the rest of your working career unless of course you switch jobs, are already close to retirement so who cares etc.
This is a very good point.

Buy travel health insurance, end up with less coverage: A couple's hard lesson - Business - CBC News
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote