REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   BC government plans to sell groundwater for $2.25 per million litres (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702022-bc-government-plans-sell-groundwater-%242-25-per-million-litres.html)

1314 03-06-2015 07:13 PM

BC government plans to sell groundwater for $2.25 per million litres

Quote:

That rate of $2.25 per million litres — the highest industrial rate in the new price structure — means Nestlé will pay the government $596.25 a year for 265 million litres.
Outrage boils over as B.C. government plans to sell groundwater for $2.25 per million litres

Soundy 03-06-2015 08:11 PM

Old news a month ago.

Razor Ramon HG 03-06-2015 10:03 PM

All that over $600?

SoNaRWaVe 03-07-2015 10:59 AM

further out easts charge more per million. IIRC, a province charges like 40$ or 60$ and another charges somewhere around 100$ per million liters.

and they sell it at 2-3$ per bottle :\

Manic! 03-07-2015 11:40 AM

:
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe (Post 8606249)
further out easts charge more per million. IIRC, a province charges like 40$ or 60$ and another charges somewhere around 100$ per million liters.

Where the hell are you paying $2 to $3 for nestle water? You getting ripped off big time.

Tone Loc 03-07-2015 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8606267)
:

Where the hell are you paying $2 to $3 for nestle water? You getting ripped off big time.

This. At Costco or Home Depot it's like $5 (on sale) for a massive 12 or 24 pack, can't remember. But it's definitely not $3 a bottle unless you're at a rave or some shit.

Soundy 03-07-2015 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe (Post 8606249)

Think people would be any less outraged if they were being charged a whole $100 per million litres? Or $1000? $10,000?

Fact is, no other industry in BC pays any more for water usage either, beyond a token license fee. Mining, forestry, oil and gas production, and various others all use groundwater for various needs in the process of making their money but pay the same fees. What makes them special?

Keep in mind, whether you're paying $5/dozen or $5/bottle at the retail end, that's not all money straight back into the company's coffers - a lot of that is various stages of markup along the way, to the truckers delivering the water, to the logistics outfits moving it all around, etc. Nestle probably sees about 20˘ of that $2 bottle, and sure that adds up to a lot for a million litres, but they have their own expenses too - building and maintaining the bottling plant and the infrastructure to extract the water, operating costs, utility costs, corporate taxes, employee wages... It's sure not like that whole $2 goes straight into the CEO's pocket.

SoNaRWaVe 03-07-2015 07:19 PM

lol i was thinking more in the lines of like clubs and bars and restaurants.

Soundy 03-07-2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe (Post 8606421)

And they still buy it in that $5 case from Costco, so the same cut still goes back to Nestle - they're not seeing any more profit just because the end seller is raping you for it.

meme405 03-07-2015 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe (Post 8606421)

I remember buying a bottle of water at a concert, got hosed on pricing, the best part was the bottle was clearly labeled with "Not for resale".

I was parched. Drank that shit anyway.

SkinnyPupp 03-07-2015 10:14 PM

If you buy bottled water, and it's not an urgent need (like at a concert), then you really need to research how much this fucks up our planet.

Soundy 03-07-2015 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8606514)
If you buy bottled water, and it's not an urgent need (like at a concert), then you really need to research how much this fucks up our planet.

Because the water comes in a small plastic pipe pinched shut at both ends, instead of through dozens of miles of assorted concrete, steel, plastic and copper pipes?

SkinnyPupp 03-07-2015 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8606529)
Because the water comes in a small plastic pipe pinched shut at both ends, instead of through dozens of miles of assorted concrete, steel, plastic and copper pipes?

No, because the plastic bottles take centuries to degrade, and collect on literally every single shoreline on the planet.

This is one of those "everyone knows" things, but my friend's recent post on facebook really opened my eyes. He was never much of an activist, and neither am I. But just how unnecessary these things are, and the fact that these gross billionaires are fucking up our planet just to make more money really bothers me. So I bring this up when I can.

Quote:

We're drowning in plastic. I have seen terrifying things that haunt my dreams. I will talk about this later.
Please, for the love of our planet, stop buying cartons of the tiny 16 oz bottled waters. I see them everywhere now. People fill their apartments with them. You have a dishwasher, a water purifier, clean tap water, expensive designer glassware, but you drink out of individual use plastic bottles and toss them into the trash.
It feels good to break open the sealed plastic cap, drink the pathetic 16oz of water and throw it away. Repeat an hour later. Each one is a little life accomplishment, a small boost of happiness. But don't pat yourself on the back. Every time you crack open a plastic bottle, you kill a sea turtle. It is the creation of the devil. When you smoke cigarettes, at least you can make valid argument you are only killing yourself.
I have spent time in remote islands around the world past few years, places where there are no roads, no electricity, no houses, no cellphone towers, no people.
Terrifyingly, these beaches are filled with plastic. The more remote the beach is, the more plastic I see on it. Yet I see no plastic on the nice beaches of Hawaii, or or Miami. How could this be?
It's because we can't stand the sight of washed up plastic in our own back yard so we clean it up daily. Self righteous hypocrites. We sweep up and throw it right back in. This out of sight out of mind is a really nasty problem. Can we have a week every month when cleaning beaches is prohibited? Let the plastic wash up, and let it stay there. Let your kids and dogs play in that filth for at least a few days.
Screw you Aquafina, Desani, Poland spring, all you other irresponsible corporate criminals who are making a huge profit while knowingly and unnecessarily destroying our oceans. Billions of marketing dollars poured into a product nobody needs.
A few horrifying facts about this mess we've created.
0 In the Los Angeles area alone, 10 metric tons of plastic fragments—like grocery bags, straws and soda bottles—are carried into the Pacific Ocean every day.
1 Over the last ten years we have produced more plastic than during the whole of the last century.
2 50 percent of the plastic we use, we use just once and throw away.
3 Enough plastic is thrown away each year to circle the earth four times.
4 We currently recover only five percent of the plastics we produce.
5 The average American throws away approximately 185 pounds of plastic per year.
6 Plastic accounts for around 10 percent of the total waste we generate.
7 The production of plastic uses around eight percent of the world’s oil production (bioplastics are not a good solution as they require food source crops).
8 Americans throw away 35 billion plastic water bottles every year (source: Brita)
9 Plastic in the ocean breaks down into such small segments that pieces of plastic from a one liter bottle could end up on every mile of beach throughout the world.
10 Annually approximately 500 billion plastic bags are used worldwide. More than one million bags are used every minute.
11 46 percent of plastics float (EPA 2006) and it can drift for years before eventually concentrating in the ocean gyres.
12 It takes 500-1,000 years for plastic to degrade.
You can do a few things to help this problem:
1. Never buy bottled water for your home. Ever. Don't be a selfish prick.
2. Tell your friends they need to stop doing it or you will not be friends.
3. Use a washable glass or reuse a bottle water at the office. The plastic bottle you just threw out after 1 use lasts 5000 years! Refill it for god's sake.
For the governments:
1. Require printing pictures of dead baby sea turtles, dead baby dolphins and eventually dead babies on every water bottle. Especially the high end products with billion dollar marketing budget. In vivid HD color.
2. Add a hefty pollution tax to these products.
We've survived for 1000s of years without plastic bottles and now we're going to suffocate ourselves because its' trendy.

Soundy 03-09-2015 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8606534)
Americans throw away 35 billion plastic water bottles every year (source: Brita)

So an alarmist anti-bottle article is quoting figures from a marketing campaign by a company who wants to sell you water filters... :suspicious:

SkinnyPupp 03-09-2015 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8606909)
So an alarmist anti-bottle article is quoting figures from a marketing campaign by a company who wants to sell you water filters... :suspicious:

Out of all that, you decided to post a meaningless, useless strawman fallacy :facepalm:

Google it up and find a source that is more to your liking, if you doubt the number that much because it's from Brita.

I quickly found one that said 60 million per day, which I think comes to 22 billion per year.

22 billion, per year. And every single one that has been thrown away, ever, is still sitting there for another 500-1000 years.

And that's one country, where people are somewhat conscious of the environment. Imagine what it's like in huge countries where people don't give a shit? Or generally all over the world? All this oil taken out of the ground, turned into plastic, then thrown back into the ocean to sit there for centuries. All so some gross billionaires can get richer.

nma 03-09-2015 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8606909)

lol you should really read up a little on plastic bottles, they do fuck us pretty hard. I've personally stopped using plastic water bottles unless necessary

murd0c 03-09-2015 07:58 AM

maybe the Americans should actually start recycling rather then just tossing the bottles away. That seems like the biggest issue here since water bottle sales are not going to stop.

Soundy 03-09-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8606932)
maybe the Americans should actually start recycling rather then just tossing the bottles away. That seems like the biggest issue here since water bottle sales are not going to stop.

Bingo.

By SP's thinking, cars should also be banished because of those who take them up forestry roads and burn them in the wilderness.

Spoon 03-09-2015 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8606932)

Hike up the price of container deposit fees. Nobody cares about getting 5 cents back for a single bottle, that's why they all end up in the trash.

SkinnyPupp 03-09-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8606971)
Hike up the price of container deposit fees. Nobody cares about getting 5 cents back for a single bottle, that's why they all end up in the trash.

Exactly. And it doesn't matter how many times it's recycled - it's still eventually going to end up polluting something.

Besides, "I recycle, so it's not a problem" is such an incredibly short sighted way to look at it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8606947)

By SP's thinking, cars should also be banished because of those who take them up forestry roads and burn them in the wilderness.

Wow, two inane logical fallacies in a row. Do you not have a point to make, so this is all you can post?

Phil@rise 03-09-2015 01:26 PM

all this bitchin over the cost of water and we have the best water in the world right out of our taps for free......

mr_chin 03-14-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 8607089)
all this bitchin over the cost of water and we have the best water in the world right out of our taps for free......

I used to just drink tap water all the time. But after drinking filtered/boiled water, and then going back to tap, it gives me stomach aches and I notice there is a weird taste in tap water.

Alby 03-14-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_chin (Post 8609886)
I used to just drink tap water all the time. But after drinking filtered/boiled water, and then going back to tap, it gives me stomach aches and I notice there is a weird taste in tap water.

the weird taste is probably the chlorine they use.

StylinRed 03-14-2015 04:18 PM

i dont understand why people would buy bottled water honestly...being in canada and bc for that matter.. also, supposedly, if that plastic bottle gets heated at all it releases toxins into the water..

Soundy 03-15-2015 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8609977)
i dont understand why people would buy bottled water honestly...being in canada and bc for that matter.. also, supposedly, if that plastic bottle gets heated at all it releases toxins into the water..

Convenience, mainly... And not everyone in Canada, or even in BC, has pristine fresh water coming out of their taps. When I lived in the Cariboo, the 108 Ranch was notorious for the high iron and mineral content in their water; it was a good 20 years after later that they finally drilled a new well to get better water.