REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Car damaged at body shop

So i was in a long search for a good and cheap body shop who could weld my pinch welds and fix my rocker panels. After many phone calls, this 4.5/5 star collision repair shop recommended me to Ben's Auto Body Ltd.

Before you guys say anything, I know good and cheap dont mix and usually I dont mind if the paint job is a bit runny or if there is a bit of over spray. However the experience i just had was not like any other before.

Upon my arrival to the body shop, I notice that the owner seemed suspicious but i didnt think much of it. My car is lowered so i couldnt see under the pinch welds but from up top it looked "okay". As i was driving home, i heard water swirling around inside the car so i pulled over and discovered that my trunk and rear carpets were full of water. Now my only conclusion was that my car caught on fire while the owner was welding in new pinch welds.

As soon as i got home, i started to investigate and to confirm my conclusion, part of the driver and rear seat belt suffered a large amount of heat, my undercoating + body plug was burned to crisp and half of my quarter panel was painted. I understand that it was a private deal so i didnt really mind that they skipped a hole which isnt accessible without removing the fender and that they didnt sand down the rockers to bare metal prior to painting, however i would never expect them to burn half of my quarter panel, flood the interior and not say anything to me.

I havent called the body shop back yet as I am disassembling the car for more pictures and im pretty sure this doesnt happen normally. Is any thing i can do in terms of legal actions?

Pretty sure im SOL tho since no work order was signed and i paid cash, however i do have his business card stating a year warranty.

Here are a few photos. You cant tell but the carpets are soaked in this picture

part of the seat belt melted

Peeping thru a body plug where the quarter panel probably caught on fire.

Advertisement

Last edited by i-vtecyo; 03-09-2015 at 08:23 PM.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts

wow
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-vtecyo View Post

I havent called the body shop back yet as I am disassembling the car for more pictures and im pretty sure this doesnt happen normally. Is any thing i can do in terms of legal actions?
Why haven't you contacted the body shop right away? That should be your first course of action before posting it on RS. It seems as though you have already made up your mind that you are going to make it a big deal before the (4.5 out of 5 star) body shop even has a chance to right this for you. You even went as far as to give the name of the body shop, where most people would wait for a response before trying to shame them.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I know a guy who can fix that...

But really, First thing you should have done was call them and find out why. They longer you delay it, it may get harder to resolve
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
^ while I would generally agree, lighting someones car on fire and filling it with water isn't exactly an "oops"
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
Did mr.Stubbz work on your car?
[23-07, 02:53] LSF22 the guy who i just saw had like 5 or 6 cars on his lawn needs a ride

[07-10, 15:42] nabs tbails14 = the legend continues

[27-10, 19:44] slickrick (to ts14) NO NOT THE EXHAUST

[07-10, 22:42] Ri2 If I had a real one I'd fap til it turns blue probably

[05-01, 16:24] Geoc ts you're a never ending inspiration for the inner buddy guy in all of us
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
Why haven't you contacted the body shop right away? That should be your first course of action before posting it on RS. It seems as though you have already made up your mind that you are going to make it a big deal before the (4.5 out of 5 star) body shop even has a chance to right this for you. You even went as far as to give the name of the body shop, where most people would wait for a response before trying to shame them.
Your right, I should contact the body shop tomorrow morning however, the fact that they didn't mention anything to me about hosing down my interior and leaving it completely soaked with puddles is reasonable enough to shame them.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:10 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Not condoning how they handled the situation, but I rate rocker repairs right up there with giving grandma a bath
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
Not sure if I can agree with this... He already went great lengths to avoid a confrontation with the customer. This is some pretty shady shit going on
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
I would at least start at the body shop. If you already are assuming that they are shady then there answers to your questions about the repair will confirm it. Their answers will dictate your next move. If legal action needs to be taken I believe small claims court is your option.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:23 AM   #11
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
subscribed
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #12

So i talked to the owner today and he offered to dry my interior but unfortunately im already in the process of doing that. As soon as i have the interior back together, I will drive my car over and show him the other damages.

So apparently my old fiber glass and bondo near the rear quarter caught on fire while he was welding... Is that crap suppose to be a fire hazard or is that just an excuse for lack of attention?

Last edited by i-vtecyo; 03-10-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:33 PM   #13
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

El Dumbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

sound deadening/corrosion protection materials catching fire while welding on surface sheetmetal around quarterpanels happens more often than you'd think
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #15
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty much a given that the sound deadener, seam sealer and paint are going to light-up when you're welding on the other side of a panel. Leaving the interior in the car was just asking for trouble.

-D
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #16

I see. Well, still no excuse to do a crappy job..

Old 03-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #17
N8
I STILL don't get it

ouch.. that pains my eyes. keep us posted after you bring it back to them