REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 03-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
Used f350 buying tips?

Hey RS 4x4 section.

So my girlfriend and I are toying with the idea of getting a used f350. I've never owned a diesel, and only had small light Toyota pickups in the past. I'd like to look at a raptor but in the real world it's a bit out of our price range.

We're looking at 2008+, and higher option the better of course. Right now I drive a '14 ST, and would prefer to not HATE the interior of the new truck. So things like factory nav and stuff would be a bonus. Does anyone have personal experience with this chassis? Or anything with diesel to look for specifically.

- if a truck has ~180,000km on a power stroke, is that still low on their expected life span? Should I be factoring turbo and injector rebuilds?
- if a truck is lifted but doesn't have a binder of receipts, how worried should I be?
- if a truck has upgraded tires like 35" and up, should I be worried about the speedo reading low, and the KM on the truck actually be way higher than what the odo reads?
- if a truck has the standard DPE and ERS or wtv deletes, should I be concerned with a bad tune or anything?
- speaking of tunes, should I walk away from any of those diesels with bully dog plug in tuners and stuff? I'm all for extra power but not if I should be concerned with a worn out engine.

Pretty much any tips are welcome. It's a pretty new world to me so I'd invite any suggestions.

Ps: the ol lady is very firm on an f350 or bust. So no "get a cummins" comments
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
get a cummins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
all day, everyday

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
she probably got alot of cummins from 320 already is why

Spoiler!

but ontopic at one point i was also looking into a diesel truck and was told to look at:

when the glowplugs were last serviced/replaced as that can be pricey.
also you don't want any type of leaks from any engine gaskets as that can also be pricey.
most diesels the tranny fails way before the engines(with high mileage) so probably check on transmission service records if any.
as far as i was told these things were the most important among other sensible things to look for in a used vehicle.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Whatever you do don't buy a 6L
cdizzle_996 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 View Post
What ever you do don't buy a 6L
Nothing wrong with a 6.0, as long as they are done right.

Do a quick Google search on 6.4L issues. There are a few to take notice to, but every truck has their quirks. 6.4L is nice with the factory compound turbos, can make good power very easily, but know if almost anything goes wrong under the hood it's going to hurt your wallet. Forget how many hours it is along to get the cab off.

As for buying a pre modified truck, nothing wrong with buying one that has had an egr and did delete. At that point you would have to gauge the maturity of the seller. Get some kid who deleted it and cranked the power is going to take its toll. But a mature person who did or had the work done for reliability sounds good to me.

Get it inspected by a diesel shop what ever you do.

Listen for little extra noises etc, once full warmed up pop the oil fill cap off and check for excessive blow by.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #6

All good points. One problem is if we purchase from a dealer, usually there isn't a lot of history on the vehicle. I guess really with any used purchase there is a risk. Either way a PPI is a huge must.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
PPI it through BD Diesel in Abbotsford. They're pretty good people and they were honest for the most part when I was dealing with them.

Like TJ mentioned, if there's any work that needs to be done under the hood the cab needs to come off. So make sure everything under there is up to snuff. I would honestly try and find a perfectly stock one that some old guy in his 60/70's owned, chances are he just puttered around town in it and didn't beat the piss out of it.

Don't worry about the lifts and tires and what not, the speedo being off (from a mileage standpoint) is negligible. Bigger tires, look at alignment as well as worn out suspension components. Also, if the tires are worn down to say 40% or something remember it's going to run you around $1000-1500 for a set of tires IF you buy them in the states. Up here you're looking close to $2k for a set of 35's with a E load rating.

And unfortunately, if there trans hasn't been replaced or built yet... Plan on doing it at least once in your ownership (if it goes do yourself a favour and pony up for a built unit).

Lastly, it's a diesel. So whatever you're expecting to pay in maintenance, fuel, oil changes, etc... Double it.

Oh, and get a cummins.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,615 Times in 574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
PPI it through BD Diesel in Abbotsford. They're pretty good people and they were honest for the most part when I was dealing with them.

Like TJ mentioned, if there's any work that needs to be done under the hood the cab needs to come off. So make sure everything under there is up to snuff. I would honestly try and find a perfectly stock one that some old guy in his 60/70's owned, chances are he just puttered around town in it and didn't beat the piss out of it.

Oh, and get a cummins.
^pretty much bang on especially the bold part lol.

also, get a cummins
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:46 PM   #9

we're gonna go check this out tomorrow morning and see how it is. looks great in the ads but leaves stuff out like the mileage.

already checked out these two, just to give a base idea of where to look. i prefer the silver one.

Spoiler!
Old 03-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
I'm curious as to the logic behind "f350 or bust" when there are two superior engines out there.

Ask yourself why the powerstroke engine has been redesigned 4 times, and why there is an industry dedicated to repowering fords with superior diesel engines such as the cummins 6BT. Same basic design for over 30 years that has been refined (along with duramax since 2002)

I see no mention of cargo capacities or towing requirements. But questions about 35" tires and tuners. This truck will be a significant financial drain. It's a slippery slope and you will spend $10k in mods and then justify it by saying you get 2MPG better fuel economy now. Keep a google docs spreadsheet of associated costs with modern diesel truck ownership and upkeep and you will be sickened. Just something else to consider.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #11

You just asked the logic behind a woman's thought. Good luck with that.

Edit. Like I said in my first post, I'd rather have a small Tacoma or something but the girlfriends dream truck is an f350 (power stroke diesel, four door, long box, non dually*, lifted with flares) and has been since she was a child. I don't need a diesel or a long box or 44" boggers* but if that shuts her up and makes her pay for half of it, then whatever. She grew up with horses buying bales of hay by the metric tonne. I grew up in Richmond with a 1990 xtra cab 2wd Toyota pickup.. That's all I need

We don't have a trailer (yet) but will be hauling things like camping gear, motorcycles, kayaks etc. all stuff that could be done with an awesome euro wagon. But that's not what she wants.

I'd far prefer the raptor and take it for some logging road rallies. But fuel cost and initial purchase is beyond what I'm willing to spend.

*autocorrect needs to smarten the fuck up

Last edited by 320icar; 03-12-2015 at 12:35 PM.
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #12
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
A lot of other trucks heck even a lot of cars can haul what you're looking to haul

350 seems a bit excessive.

Also do you plan to put around Richmond in a 350?

I understand it's your girls desire but you gotta put your foot down sometimes when what they want has little to no logic behind it

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #13

were planning to move out to langley (or similar) at some point.

a point to consider is that the girlfriend never buys a vehicle for resale value (if you take my meaning). when she buys a car, she never plans on selling it. so if we get a truck (say one that is more in line with her dream truck) then that is the vehicle she will keep until its either written off, or she is lol. the last vehicle she had was a 2002 cavalier (ugh) but she had it all the way til last fall when someone bumped into it, enough to write it off. before that was another cavalier that someone hit and wrote off. point is she is a long term car person.

so a truck that we got now would have to have four doors (future family planning) and be big enough to possibly haul a horse trailer as well. depends what she wants our kids doing as hobbies i suppose.

i totally agree that an f350 around richmond is a ludacrissssss idea.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #14
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
If she isn't the one that's going to be loading shit up into that thing then I'd push a bit more for her to be realistic. If she's really dead set on it, let her pick it out and let her deal with any and all headaches that come from that choice though. I made the mistake of doing all the research and hunting for my girlfriends next vehicle after dealing with all the bullshit of her previous car and I'm paying for it big time.

edit cause you posted before I finished: How tall is she? If you're thinking long term make sure she thinks about trying to load kids and all their crap into something that tall, and make sure she understands the potential future headaches of the vehicle she's chosen.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
If you have a dream of going broke then a heavily oversized, over fuelled truck that will not be used for any useful purpose aside form a weekend a month, then the F350 is the truck for you.

You will eithe put your foot down and smash her want for a big truck or you will end up paying for it and one of the biggest relationship destroying things is finances.
There a good vehicle, but unless you make use of the truck how it was designed you are just burning up money.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #16
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Funny, people saying you don't need that much truck blah fucking blah. Yet most of you guys modify your cars by lowering it, put an exhaust and intake to gain an extremely marginal amount of power. Not trying to slam anyone particular or their vehicle but the argument goes both ways. If this is his girlfriend desire and he enjoys it as well so be it. He came here to ask for advice on a f350 with the 6.4 powerstroke

I own my truck and I haven't even hooked a trailer to it. I do a fair amount of driving between here and Alberta, but I could easily get away with a little 4x4 toyota pick up.

I enjoy driving my truck, I don't mind the fuel mileage, I change my oil twice a year, costs me roughly 70 dollars each time. I run an after market fuel lift pump with both filters costing me 70 dollars once a year. I also get 13-17mpg, pretty good for a 8000lbs vehicle.

If you and your girlfriend want a long box powerstroke all the power to you man, it is a pretty nice feeling driving around in a larger truck. Obvious can be a pain in the ass but worth it if that's what you like.

Do your research, Take your time with the purchase and enjoy the truck.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #17
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Not gonna read any of the comments. Cause buying a truck is such a polarizing topic.

1. Buy a Duramax. lol

2. Don't know when Ford switched over to using the Urea additive to their trucks, but I think it was later than 2010, so you should be okay. Just keep this crap in mind. Because first off its expensive, and it's annoying as fuck because it's another fluid you need to top off regularly.

EDIT: Just read the comment above, and I 100% agree. Even if I didn't tow, which I do, I would still get the Diesel, it's a 10k option on these trucks, but 100% worth it. Nothing like having 600+ lbft of sheer get up and go at your right foot.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:54 PM   #18

Just as an update, we've gone to a few dealerships only to have then tell us "oh sorry, that truck sold at closing last night. But since your here....."

FUCK YOU

Anyways. Test drove a lifted silver one (posted in spoilers in previous post) and fell in love a bit. Super obvious the previous owner really cared for that truck and put in the time. But making sure not to rush into it since I'm happy with my current car. Going to schedule a morning for the GF and I to meet with a financial advisor and kind of figure out our finances.

Pretty much we live in Richmond and rent. We would like to make the move out to Langley or similar and buy a house one day. But we're pretty much at square one. So I'd like to go over what we make, where we can save (such as getting rid of our vehicles and going to one truck) and stuff like that. See how long it may take and work out a plan.

But I digress. Been watching a bunch of 4x4 stuff (ex: dirt everyday) and getting back into it. Used to buy all the four wheeler magazines as a teen. Forgot how much I enjoy it and the outdoors lol.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #19

F350 is not the type of vehicle to get into "4x4 stuff". It's the vehicle to bring your "4x4 stuff" to the trail and that's about it. And honestly man if you're wanting to buy a house and haven't started saving for it, getting an expensive as fuck truck isn't going to help you any. Convince your gf to wait, buy a shitbox 4x4 to get out in the bush, save and buy a house, then start buying toys.

BUT, that's just my opinion ;-)
Old 03-16-2015, 11:28 PM   #20
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I owned a 2011 F350... Unless you can get a 6.7L powerstroke don't bother with a F350 get a cummins. Honestly a half ton is enough, I changed to a F150 ecoboost cause honestly a diesel truck is useless in the lower mainland unless you intend to use it for what it's meant for, or you like the clang clang clang of a diesel engine. You can't get good MPG cause you're stuck in lower mainland traffic. Plus the F350 rides rough compared to a F150 due to the heavy duty suspension. Oh yeah my F150 crew cab with 5.8bed is a dream to park.

PS it costs $185 for an oil change on a 6.7L.. and thieves love stealing the OEM navigation system on super duty's for some reason. $3500 ICBC Claim
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #21

No offence gab, but that's not strictly true. Any rig can be an off roader from an f350, to a 1.6l samurai or a 1970's suburban or wagoner. The point is to take what you have out and learn with what you've got.

Anyways..
Old 03-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
No offence gab, but that's not strictly true. Any rig can be an off roader from an f350, to a 1.6l samurai or a 1970's suburban or wagoner. The point is to take what you have out and learn with what you've got.

Anyways..
Fair, but take it from a guy who's wheeled a 1 ton as well as small toyotas. Wheeling a 1 ton just made me angry and scared of getting stuck/breaking stuff.

That being said, I do miss my 1 ton and will probably be buying another one in the future. But it's not from a "necessity" stand point and more of a lifestyle choice. That and i'm gonna be getting out of the city in the near future.

Everyone on here just wants you to make sure you, ultimately, understand the cost of ownership. I've been that kid who got caught with an expensive diesel and it bit me in the ass, just don't want to see it happen to anyone else.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #23
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,615 Times in 574 Posts
i've ran with 1 ton trucks before on the nimble/tighter trails and they scare the hell out of me lol.

for cruising fsrs and making it down to places like hale or just having fun at stave a 1-ton is all good.

have you looked at any alternatives?
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #24

All valuable input and I appreciate all comments, wether I like them or not

I'm going to sit down with the gf again because, ultimately, I agree with all of you guys. We have checked out a few f150's (and my buddies own a few too) and I just don't feel it. Does not move me and I'd have no want to spend my money on it. I love the 4 door taco's and think they are awesome and more than capable. Same goes for the Nissan frontier. Though I hate the interior and have never need a fan of Nissan designs. But the size is perfect. I'm almost at the point where if she is dead set on getting the f350, I'll pay insurance and stuff but she take on the payments.

Though I do enjoy the turbo diesel. Feels like nothing can stop it.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
All valuable input and I appreciate all comments, wether I like them or not

I'm going to sit down with the gf again because, ultimately, I agree with all of you guys. We have checked out a few f150's (and my buddies own a few too) and I just don't feel it. Does not move me and I'd have no want to spend my money on it. I love the 4 door taco's and think they are awesome and more than capable. Same goes for the Nissan frontier. Though I hate the interior and have never need a fan of Nissan designs. But the size is perfect. I'm almost at the point where if she is dead set on getting the f350, I'll pay insurance and stuff but she take on the payments.

Though I do enjoy the turbo diesel. Feels like nothing can stop it.
Because nothing can haha. People move out of your way around town, it's such a treat. You just point the nose and go.