REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-15-2015, 02:06 AM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Where did you guys get your car wash supplies and which brands did you go with?

Been reading up on basic detailing.

Apparently I need

2 microfiber wash mitts
2 buckets with grit guard
1 microfiber waffle weave towel

as the bare minimum.

All the reviews on amazon under "microfiber wash mitt" are great, but shipping from the states can be a hassle and expensive. Good brands seem to be rag company, meguiars, and chemical guys.

Canadian tire seems to have everything, mainly "simoniz" has the drying towel and wash mitts, but I can't seem to find any reviews on them aside from the site itself.

So where have you guys gotten your washing mitts and towels? Just amazon? Another online store? Or local.
Advertisement
clevernickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:01 AM   #2
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
there is car care section in this forum for this.

pm 911fanatic for all your needs.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Buckets you can get from Canadian Tire, they also carry the Autoglym lineup and Meguiars water magnet waffle weave drying towels which are pretty good. You can also get Chemical Guys stuff from Amazon.ca for good prices, including soaps, wash mitts, microfiber towels, etc.
Acethriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:28 AM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I've always ordered off of eshine.ca . Quick shipping and great customer service.
pintoBC_3sgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
I use eshine.ca if I can put together a big enough order to get free shipping.
Lately, I've been buying stuff off amazon.ca if the price is right and I can get free shipping.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,664 Times in 334 Posts
I make my orders from autoobsessed.com. Free shipping on orders over $150. I picked up a bunch of buckets from Canadian tire for $3 each and my grit gurads fit perfectly in them.

I've grown to dislike Chemical guys due to their horrendous customer service and average perfoming products.

noransx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1freak
[24-01, 14:19] mk1freak lots of bdays this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9
[22-05, 23:37] norans also got a pretty douchey white hipster haircut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_BOY
[27-10, 22:25] can't spell ice without ie
2014 Chevrolet Volt - Poo brown ft panel gaps - currently at 588mpg
2006 Honda CBR600RR "LaF'Honda" pronounced la-fawn-duh
Noran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Any one got some recommendations for a good wash mitt. I'm currently using a simoniz one from CT with the two bucket method and I'm still getting light swirls on my black car. Would the noodle wash mitts be better than the conventional ones??
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
Any one got some recommendations for a good wash mitt. I'm currently using a simoniz one from CT with the two bucket method and I'm still getting light swirls on my black car. Would the noodle wash mitts be better than the conventional ones??
how do you wash your mitt? are you using a grit screen? what is your prewash method before soaping the car down with the mitt?

these were the questions that were asked of me when i posted this question... turns out it was my methods that were bad and not the mitt
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 03-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Autoglym products are my go to. I don't have time/patience to wait while my order ships.... Dollarama has microfibre cloths and mitts and also drying towels.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
how do you wash your mitt? are you using a grit screen? what is your prewash method before soaping the car down with the mitt?

these were the questions that were asked of me when i posted this question... turns out it was my methods that were bad and not the mitt
I just rinse out my mitt in the sink after a wash. I don't have grit guards right now, however, I hose down the mitt after every panel and dip it into the water bucket to prevent myself from rubbing debris back into the paint. I try to foam my car sometimes with this foam sprayer from CT, but sometimes I get lazy. I think the problem might be my crappy mitt and crappy drying towels that I use.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
Witness protection

grit guard, two bucket method, and after rinsing out your mitt throw it in the washing machine using liquid detergent not powder (because the granules may not dissolve). i am also assuming you are using a separate mitt for wheels.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:06 PM   #12
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
any recommendations on microfiber towels that DO NOT leave lint behind? used some "high quality" microfiber towels that were recommended for windows n now my windows r full of lint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:14 PM   #13
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
any recommendations on microfiber towels that DO NOT leave lint behind? used some "high quality" microfiber towels that were recommended for windows n now my windows r full of lint

Once you give them a few good washes they stop leaving lint for the most part. But there was thin clothes specified for Windows, they have no fibers that stick out at all, I will look for a pic/link and update

http://searchpp.com/window-cleaning-cloths/
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:14 PM   #14
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
My method : Pressure wash pre rinse -> Foam gun -> Rinse -> Re-Foam -> Use mitt -> Rinse mitt in bucket every panel

Costco yellow microfibers work pretty good from my experience. Buy soaps and wheel cleaners in the states.

Pretty swirl free so far. I do have a white car tho so what do i know about swirls

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #15
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
lordco or crappy tire

meguiars car wash

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #16
I don't get it

would anybody recommend those electric pressure washer found in Canadian tire? or are they a waste of money?
evlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:28 PM   #17
Witness protection

waste of money. just read some of the reviews customers post on their website (if they haven't been deleted already)
Old 03-15-2015, 08:47 PM   #18
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post

I always use microfiber towels that's been on the washer for quite a few times. I found that the "used" ones are better for cleaning windows since they leave less lint and are easier to glide on smooth surfaces.
xjc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:14 PM   #19
degenerate extraordinaire

Which local shops still carry grit guards? Don't really see them around anymore.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:17 PM   #20
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkaku View Post
Which local shops still carry grit guards? Don't really see them around anymore.
pm 911fanatic. i remember seeing them on the shelf at his shop a few months back, if he hasn't sold them already.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:56 PM   #21
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acethriller View Post
Buckets you can get from Canadian Tire, they also carry the Autoglym lineup and Meguiars water magnet waffle weave drying towels which are pretty good. You can also get Chemical Guys stuff from Amazon.ca for good prices, including soaps, wash mitts, microfiber towels, etc.
damn was just at the richmond one. didn't see anything waffle weave for drying. jus the microfiber drying towels :/
clevernickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:54 PM   #22
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
simoniz wash & wax from Canadian tire...is fucking King for shine & wash hands down...
Old 03-16-2015, 12:18 AM   #23
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
menzerna, collinite, autoglym, chemical guys, meguiars, mothers, optimum are all in my detail box. theres a few more in there, but not in my usual use.

everyone prefers a certain product over another, as long as it shines and protects the paint.

I've bought from Ken @ autowerkes when he still sold supplies, and eshine a long time ago. Lately autoobsessed is my go-to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:48 AM   #24
Need to Seek Professional Help

Equipment:
Foam Cannon
Gas Pressure Washer

Liquids:
WASH- Automotive APC 6 Litre Jug Concentrate (Makes for around 75-100 car washes)
DETAIL SPRAY- Ultima Waterless Wash Concentrate (Makes for around 15-16 Spray bottles)
TIRE DETAIL- Generic Spray (Equivalent of Auto Glym Tire Spray)
WAX- Opti Coat Pro (Body and Wheels)

Towels:
WASH- Sheep Wool mit
DETAIL- Fine Edgeless Micro fiber
DRY- Green Waffle

Liquids bought from KEN at Autowerkes
Towels from theragcompany.com and shipped to PO Box just over the border

Last edited by jbsali; 03-16-2015 at 02:20 AM.
jbsali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:19 AM   #25
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Last 2 years Target had a 50% off sale on all care detailing products. Got enough megs soap, liquid, and paste wax to last years maybe a lifetime as far as wax goes.