REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #51
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
Q series
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #52
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,505 Times in 3,051 Posts
I just buy a Costco bbq and when it breaks (usually 1-2 years) I just bring it back and get a new one. It's cleaner and less carcigen that way anyways.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #53
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,765 Times in 1,750 Posts
I got 8 years out of a chineseium Amana (Sure Heat) BBQ from Home Depot before the bottom of the shitty paper thin porcelainized steel firebox rotted out, the burners were dead and the grill grates were flaking off chunks of rust like layers of dead skin (and into the food).

I replaced it with a Napoleon Prestige (The made in Canada version) last year and couldn't be happier. It's amazing to finally use a grill that has completely even heat over the entire surface, and the grates of such a high quality that food never sticks. Plus, if anything needs replacing in the future I can just get parts from Napoleon.

I considered Weber, but for the money this had better features, and did I mention Made in Canada!
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #54
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
How often do these BBQs go on sale at Home Depot? I'm thinking of picking up either the Weber Q2200 or Q3200. The balcony at our condo is tiny and will probably only be able to fit this and me at the same time lol.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #55
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

lol I like getting cheap BBQ, use them for 1-2 years and throw them away.

Over 5-10 years, you are spending about the same amount of money but you don't even need to clean it.
Even the most expensive BBQ will need hours of cleaning every season if you want to keep it looking nice and clean.

I get BBQ so cheap (<$20) it is not even worth my time to clean it
(I am talking about charcoal bbq tho, never owned a gas one so I have no idea how it compares)
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #56
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armind View Post
What's a good size for a condo?
I have a 100sqft patio and while I can fit a 4-burner Genny or Baron, I'm really happy I bought the smaller version. I rarely cook for 10+, and 99% of the time I'm cooking for 2. The 3 burner Baron 320 which I have fits in the corner nicely while leaving me space for actual patio furniture and not a tiny table and chairs. While the Weber Spirit 210/310 are made in China, they apparently rate very well. I chose to save some money and bought the BK and it has been one of my favourite purchases for the condo.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #57

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
The Weber Genesis line is now made in China, so you're more likely to find a deal on those grills now.

For best bang for your buck, I would go with any grill made by Onward Manufacturing Company. They make Broil King, Broil Mate (Home Depot exclusive) and Sterling brand BBQs. The components are assembled in North America and with good quality parts that will last many years. Warranty service is good too.

I picked up a no-frills Broil King last year for $280 from Sears after discount codes. It's performed quite well.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2017, 11:31 AM   #58
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatdownvictim View Post
I was looking for a weber s330 for the past couple of months but every place is out of stock considering they changed the design and have upped the prices for the new genesis line
Went with a broil king regal and been very happy with it, wish I could have gotten the s330 or the napoleon p500
If you can find the older genesis line get it!
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/hsh/6070193908.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #59

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
The Q1200 is currently on sale for $219 but red and with the maple leaf.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.c...001062478.html

It seems like a pretty good deal but I was also wondering if it would be worth it to get the Q2200? I'm not sure what the differences would be.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #60
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Get the Q1200 unless you need that extra grilling space. Did a side-by-side comparison with my in-law's Q2000 and the Q1200 heats up significantly faster. It's a lot easier to bring along if you plan on using it outdoors.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #61
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
lol I like getting cheap BBQ, use them for 1-2 years and throw them away.

Over 5-10 years, you are spending about the same amount of money but you don't even need to clean it.
Even the most expensive BBQ will need hours of cleaning every season if you want to keep it looking nice and clean.

I get BBQ so cheap (<$20) it is not even worth my time to clean it
(I am talking about charcoal bbq tho, never owned a gas one so I have no idea how it compares)

Long ago, that was my strategy. Instead, I used the propane version. If the bbq lasted more than a season, it was a bonus. Then, I got one of the Weber portables because of a sweet deal. It is worth the money. It's already pre-assembled, and it heats a lot better than a cheapy grill. I grill regularly, and it lasted me 5 years before I had to replace the burner. It may have gone longer if I cleaned it more frequently.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #62

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,168 Posts
After having done BBQ with a kamado grill, I will never consider propane grills.

Starting up a fire is easy... put the starting coil underneath, stack up charcoal of choice on top, plug in and the whole thing is ready in 15min.

The taste is unmatched and other than having to deal with the ash, it's no less convenient than a propane one.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #63
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
If I knew about the Green Egg, I would have purchased one without a blink. Oh well. I'm okay with the Weber Genesis that I've had for 8 years?....... made in China now? Shiite!
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #64
Waxin’ Punks

I have a Kamado (Broil king keg) and a napoleon for quickie BBQs. Agreed the flavour off the keg is much better but it's nice to have a regular BBQ as well for a quick steak.

Low and slow with the keg though

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #65
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
The Q1200 is currently on sale for $219 but red and with the maple leaf.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.c...001062478.html

It seems like a pretty good deal but I was also wondering if it would be worth it to get the Q2200? I'm not sure what the differences would be.
You're kidding, right?

I opened Google and typed this in: "difference between weber q1200 and q2200"
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #66
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
After having done BBQ with a kamado grill, I will never consider propane grills.

Starting up a fire is easy... put the starting coil underneath, stack up charcoal of choice on top, plug in and the whole thing is ready in 15min.

The taste is unmatched and other than having to deal with the ash, it's no less convenient than a propane one.
Kamado grills are excellent if you're into charcoal grilling, but a lot of people don't have the outdoor space or live in condos that don't allow charcoal. Nothing beats the flavour of a charcoal grill, but nothing will be be as convenient as propane.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #67
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

hey guys, reviving an old thread as it's nearing BBQ season again! Any advice on buying a beginners BBQ? Looking for a small and portable one. Canadian tire is having a sale on some of them now. Does anyone have a BBQ from the coleman lineup?

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...2205p.html#srp
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #68
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,760 Times in 902 Posts
^^
Highjacking lol

Moved into a new place last year with gas hookup so no need for propane. Don't need anything crazy but def something that will last a little bit would be nice.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #69
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,701 Times in 1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
^^
Highjacking lol

Moved into a new place last year with gas hookup so no need for propane. Don't need anything crazy but def something that will last a little bit would be nice.
Used Napoleon or Weber - I paid $300 for mine, and expect to have it another 10-15 years. They're very solid. Keep an eye out and bargain.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml...880717614.html
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #70
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,765 Times in 1,750 Posts
I my Napoleon Prestige.

Keep in mind that they're not all built the same, even though they might look similar.

The built in Canada models are the Prestige Pro and the Prestige, usually only sold at the higher end dealers (I got mine at Capital Iron).

The Lex & Rogue (what they sell at Home Depot, etc) are the Chinese made models with lesser quality parts.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:58 AM   #71
Waxin’ Punks

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post
hey guys, reviving an old thread as it's nearing BBQ season again! Any advice on buying a beginners BBQ? Looking for a small and portable one. Canadian tire is having a sale on some of them now. Does anyone have a BBQ from the coleman lineup?

I also have a portable Coleman and it’s great for trips for sure. I wouldn’t use it for every day bbq due to the uneven temps but it’s awesome for camping trips. Top left corner of mine is a crazy hot spot which is great for searing but if you’re cooking for several people and the grill is loaded, it’s a pain in the butt to move everything around for consistency.

Other than that, it’s super convenient and I can’t picture camping without a bbq anymore. If you have to cook for more than 2 people regularly, spring for a better bbq.

Yes, I have 3 bbq’s

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-04-2019, 08:33 AM   #72
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,151 Times in 2,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
I also have a portable Coleman and it’s great for trips for sure. I wouldn’t use it for every day bbq due to the uneven temps but it’s awesome for camping trips. Top left corner of mine is a crazy hot spot which is great for searing but if you’re cooking for several people and the grill is loaded, it’s a pain in the butt to move everything around for consistency.

Other than that, it’s super convenient and I can’t picture camping without a bbq anymore. If you have to cook for more than 2 people regularly, spring for a better bbq.

Yes, I have 3 bbq’s
Agreed. The portable Coleman is passable for camping, but nowhere near as powerful or even if you are at all interested about decent grilling results.

The Weber q-series would be better suited if you wanted best of both worlds, portability and quality.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #73
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
i know a bunch of people recommending the weber q, but my buddy has this one and im a big fan of the scissor cart. would be perfect for an apartment balcony imo

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/nap...red/1001072060
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #74
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,157 Times in 954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post

I had a Weber Q220 (now a 2200) for 10 years and it was terrific for a portable grill. Good power for grilling for 4-5 people and reasonably portable - not as easy to transport as the Coleman you've listed but way better a grill. If the 2200 is too much for you try the 1200 instead.

For the best advice though I'd suggest you visit Johnstone's in North Van (https://www.johnstones.com)