REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Germanwings flight 4U 9525 Crash French Alps (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702416-germanwings-flight-4u-9525-crash-french-alps.html)

StylinRed 03-24-2015 04:10 AM

Germanwings flight 4U 9525 Crash French Alps

No survivors expected of the 150* passenger and crew flight on an Airbus 320

Germanwings airliner 4U 9525 crashes in French Alps - BBC News

Quote:

A Germanwings Airbus A320 with 142 passengers and six crew crashes in the French Alps near Digne, aviation officials say, with no survivors likely.
Quote:

An Airbus A320 airliner has crashed in the French Alps between Barcelonnette and Digne, French aviation officials and police have said.

The jet belongs to the German airline Germanwings, a subsidiary of Lufthansa.

The plane, flight 4U 9525, had been en route from Barcelona to Dusseldorf with 142 passengers and six crew on board.

French President Francois Hollande said: "The conditions of the accident, which have not yet been clarified, lead us to think there are no survivors."

Mr Hollande said the crash was a tragedy and called for solidarity with the victims, adding that the area was very difficult to access.

He said he would be speaking shortly with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

The plane issued a distress call at 10:47 (09:47 GMT), according to sources quoted by AFP news agency.

Search-and-rescue teams are headed to the crash site at Meolans-Revels, said regional council head Eric Ciotti.

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said he had sent Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve to the scene and a ministerial crisis cell to co-ordinate the incident had been set up.

The interior ministry said debris had been located at an altitude of 2,000m (6,500ft).

Interior ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet told BFM TV that it would be "an extremely long and extremely difficult'' search-and-rescue operation because of the remoteness.

Lufthansa chief executive Carsten Spohr tweeted: "We do not yet know what has happened to flight 4U 9525. My deepest sympathy goes to the families and friends of our passengers and crew.

"If our fears are confirmed, this is a dark day for Lufthansa. We hope to find survivors."

The Airbus A320 is single-aisle passenger jet popular for short- and medium-haul flights.
Quote:

Analysis: Nigel Cassidy, BBC's Europe business reporter

Although it began its life as an independent low-cost carrier, Germanwings is wholly owned by its parent Lufthansa.

It operates increasing numbers of the group's point-to-point short-haul routes and takes many passengers from German cities to Mediterranean sunspots.

The airline has an excellent safety record with no previously reported accidents. The average age of its Airbus fleet is just over nine years old, though flight 4U 9525 was a 24-year-old A320.

The plan was to phase out the Germanwings brand and replace it with Eurowings. There has been a longstanding dispute with the Vereinigung Cockpit union over early retirement. Pilots went on strike for three days around this time last year.

Germanwings airliner 4U 9525 crashes in French Alps - BBC News

*news is now reporting 150 people

Jmac 03-24-2015 05:06 AM

Even though they say it's unlikely, I hope they find some survivors.

Tragic :(

hud 91gt 03-24-2015 05:42 AM

RIP.

Another Bus, scary.

SpartanAir 03-24-2015 07:07 AM

Very sad. Too bad about the location too. Likely helicopter only access.

I took at least one flight on GermanWings, I thought they were great.

RIP

adambomb 03-24-2015 08:48 AM

Quote:

French local MP says 'black box' has been found from #Germanwings crash in Alps #cbc

Susan Ormiston Verified account
@OrmistonOnline
CBC Senior Correspondent
:\ :crybaby:

Mr.HappySilp 03-24-2015 09:08 AM

German Airbus A320 plane crashes in French Alps | World news | The Guardian

6o4__boi 03-24-2015 09:11 AM

Sad news...RIP.

fuck that other thread made my heart skip a beat for a second there.
My mom's coming back from overseas today and i'm tracking her flight...i thought there was another plane crash or something.

boostfever 03-24-2015 09:12 AM

RIP :(

StylinRed 03-24-2015 11:27 AM

It is a shock every time something like this happens :/

the news is reporting 150 people on the flight now (not 148) 16 of whom are children on an education exchange

Germanwings plane 4U 9525 crashes in French Alps - no survivors - BBC News

westopher 03-24-2015 12:20 PM

Does anyone know hard facts about if commercial airliners going down is actually more common lately? Or are we just more aware of it. Its a very scary thing to think about. Such helplessness for those on board. A sad and terrifying way to spend your final moments.

snowball 03-24-2015 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8614436)
Does anyone know hard facts about if commercial airliners going down is actually more common lately? Or are we just more aware of it. Its a very scary thing to think about. Such helplessness for those on board. A sad and terrifying way to spend your final moments.

The question gets asked all the time, even 10 years ago.

I would say it's been about the same.

List of accidents and incidents involving commercial aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yray 03-24-2015 01:03 PM

inb4 it gets blamed on pitot tubes and alpha prot

josel_atr 03-24-2015 01:21 PM

zero survivors. damn rip

hud 91gt 03-24-2015 01:41 PM

Has it been confirmed there are no survivors?

People are bloody tough sometimes, i'm still amazed 3 (about 15% actually, as there was only ~20 onboard) people survived this disaster a few years ago.

http://i.cbc.ca/1.1886640.1381376474...h-01167037.jpg

JD¹³ 03-24-2015 02:17 PM

Loss of contact, no distress call, no attempt to control the aircraft... sounds like this crash could be due to hypoxia. At that altitude it would take a matter of seconds for the occupants to lose functional consciousness.

multicartual 03-24-2015 02:39 PM

I'll fly Boeing, thanks!

hud 91gt 03-24-2015 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD¹³ (Post 8614491)
Loss of contact, no distress call, no attempt to control the aircraft... sounds like this crash could be due to hypoxia. At that altitude it would take a matter of seconds for the occupants to lose functional consciousness.

I could be completely wrong, but I had read they did put out a distress call?

The fairly slow decent ~3500fpm, doesn't exactly scream out of control aircraft breakup. So either a hijacking or hypoxic event are both plausible causes.

EDIT: It must have been one of the earlier articles that stated they did send out a distress call. Where in fact the newer articles are stating it was the french that did so. Definitely possible then.

boostfever 03-24-2015 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8614505)
I'll fly Boeing, thanks!

do it.

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

StylinRed 03-24-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8614507)
I could be completely wrong, but I had read they did put out a distress call?

The fairly slow decent ~3500fpm, doesn't exactly scream out of control aircraft breakup. So either a hijacking or hypoxic event are both plausible causes.

EDIT: It must have been one of the earlier articles that stated they did send out a distress call. Where in fact the newer articles are stating it was the french that did so. Definitely possible then.

yes in the morning when i first made the thread it was reported that the captain had made a distress call shortly before the crash but now it's being reported otherwise

Eatman 03-25-2015 06:19 PM

Quote:

FRANCE (NEWS1130) – Investigators trying to determine what caused the crash of Germanwings Flight 9525 have made a startling discovery in an audio recording, according to a New York Times report: One of the plane’s pilots was locked out of the cockpit before the crash.

“You can hear he is trying to smash the door down,” a senior military official involved in the investigation told the newspaper, describing audio from the cockpit voice recorder, one of the plane’s black boxes.

“We don’t know yet the reason why one of the guys went out,” the official said, according to the Times’ report. “But what is sure is that at the very end of the flight, the other pilot is alone and does not open the door.”

The Times’ report is a “terribly shocking revelation,” CNN aviation analyst Peter Goelz said. But he and other experts cautioned that it’s still unclear what could have been going on inside the cockpit.

Possibilities range from a medical emergency to something more nefarious, CNN aviation correspondent Richard Quest said.

French authorities revealed Wednesday that they’d been able to access audio from the recorder, even though its external casing was damaged.

Finding the plane’s second black box will also be critical to understanding the mystery of what went on inside the jet.

That box, the flight data recorder, hasn’t been found yet, but Lufthansa CEO Carsten Spohr said Wednesday that there’s a high probability it will be.

Investigators scoured dangerous terrain in the French Alps as they searched for clues in the wreckage.

Workers dropped to the crash site from helicopters and had to be tied together because the steep area in the mountains is so treacherous, said Remi Jouty, head of the BEA, the French aviation investigative arm leading the probe.
Pilot locked out of cockpit before plane crash in France: report | News1130

awww man, this is eerie, pilot was locked out of the cockpit and tried to smash the door down. Co-pilot did not open the door

Harvey Specter 03-25-2015 06:23 PM

Could be murder-suicide like the Egyptian flight a few years back?

Manic! 03-25-2015 06:24 PM

So who's smart idea was it to lock cockpit doors?

Press Release ? FAA Sets New Standards for Cockpit Doors

IINur 03-25-2015 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey Specter (Post 8615141)
Could be murder-suicide like the Egyptian flight a few years back?

Could be a health issue I guess, like a heart attack.

EuterVanWasser 03-25-2015 07:07 PM

^ Jeeze, I dunno why they would do that..

http://resources0.news.com.au/images...23c5873ce4.jpg

In all seriousness though, this is tragic if the pilot left inside suffered a medical emergency or something, and the 2nd pilot could not get back in.

StylinRed 03-25-2015 07:50 PM

Wow did not expect that, that makes the situation all the more tragic...which, as had been noted already, brings to question the need of locking the cockpit doors. Its never seemed like a good idea, especially when there is already armed security on board.

What if both pilots were incapacitaed? and there was 1 or more passengers/security capable of flying the plane? They'd be unable to :( and let's face it more airliners crash than terrorist takeovers especially now with aforementioned security