REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Help: Battery, Alternator, or Connection Issue? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702455-help-battery-alternator-connection-issue.html)

ajax 03-25-2015 01:25 PM

Help: Battery, Alternator, or Connection Issue?

I've been having bit of a puzzling issue with my G35 coupe (2005, 6mt).

This started Monday after I pulled over to gas up. When I got back into my car to start it all lights came on as usual but when I turned the key to actually start the engine all that happened was it clicked once than all electrical power was lost.

A few minutes later a couple lights would come back in (but very dim) and the key remote can unlock/lock the car. I got a jump from someone and the car started up right away. I drove home (Vancouver - Coquitlam) fine.

The next morning, the same issue happened again. Turn key to start, click sound, all electric power lost. Jumping the car again started it immediately. After I got to work, I turned off my car and then started it again with no problems.

Leaving work yesterday I had no problems starting and made it home fine. When I got home I turned the car off but the issue happened again when I tried starting it.

I required another jump start today morning, but this afternoon the car started up perfectly fine after being parked for a few hours at work (I tried about 4-5 times in a row: start, run for a minute, turn off).

The battery is still fairly new (installed September last year) and there are no aftermarket stereo accessories.

A similar issue was happening last year but stopped until this week when the new battery was installed.

Anyone have any idea on what could be causing it?

Edit: Had no issues yesterday after getting a jump in the morning. Started up fine after work and when I got home. I installed a new battery just in case and will wait and see if the issue persists.

Bender Unit 03-25-2015 01:49 PM

Sound like your Alternator won't charge.

ajax 03-25-2015 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender Unit (Post 8615040)
Sound like your Alternator won't charge.

If it's an alternator problem, I should have the electronics dying when I drive though right?

I'll try to get my hands on a voltmeter and check tonight though.

dn53 03-27-2015 12:59 AM

check with a voltmeter you should see your voltage sitting between 14.5-15.5 approx. a dead cell on a battery can also cause the same concern.

snails 03-27-2015 04:05 PM

very easy way to test alt vs battery.. start the car.. now take the negative off a battery.. if the car dies, its the alternator. if the car runs its the battery

a voltmeter would be best to test if there is a connection issue somewhere

fliptuner 03-27-2015 04:11 PM

Seems like a bad connection somewhere.

Have you checked the wires and clamps going to the battery?

underscore 03-27-2015 04:32 PM

Double check that your battery terminals are properly tight and clamping the posts. I had an issue once where the post was a touch too small, so when things heated up the clamp expanded and didn't make good contact.

cunninglinguist 03-27-2015 11:05 PM

I second the bad connection at the terminals diagnosis.

Genzlinger 03-28-2015 02:37 PM

definitely check for lose/bad connections first leading to the battery and then proceed to alternator & battery test.

Soundy 03-28-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajax (Post 8615046)
If it's an alternator problem, I should have the electronics dying when I drive though right?

Incorrect - everything will continue running off the battery.

fliptuner 03-28-2015 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8616459)

Eventually, the lights will dim and engine will run like shit, then die.

I say it's a connection problem cause it's intermittent and fires up with a boost (more amperage to overcome a bad connection).

If the alt was bad, it would eventually drain the batt and when he went to boost it, it would start but as soon as you disconnect the cables, the engine would die.

If the batt was bad, it wouldn't start sometimes - it would only start with a jump every time.

Soundy 03-28-2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICE BOY (Post 8616470)
Eventually, the lights will dim and engine will run like shit, then die.

True, but it won't all just die instantly. Lights will probably be a bit dimmer since they're only running at 12V instead of ~14.5, but other than that, the thing would keep running for a while.

Quote:

I say it's a connection problem cause it's intermittent and fires up with a boost (more amperage to overcome a bad connection).
+1

SpeedFactor 03-28-2015 09:36 PM

Without a load tester it's really hard to say. Right now we are all just guessing.

Soundy 03-28-2015 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedFactor (Post 8616635)
Without a load tester it's really hard to say. Right now we are all just guessing.

Sure, but most are reasonably educated guesses based on experience and the described symptoms.

underscore 03-29-2015 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8616459)

Depends on the car, with no alt my car will limp along at best, any attempt to go above a fraction of throttle and it bogs.

fliptuner 04-02-2015 02:53 PM

Survey says..........????????

Great68 04-16-2015 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snails (Post 8616112)
very easy way to test alt vs battery.. start the car.. now take the negative off a battery.. if the car dies, its the alternator. if the car runs its the battery

This is also a very easy way to potentially damage the electronics in your car.

qiangasgoo 04-22-2015 10:20 PM

I think you should ask the repair shop, Battery, Alternator, or Connection

Phil@rise 04-23-2015 10:44 AM

If your alternator was pooched you wouldnt be able to drive from Van to Coq on a dead battery. So Id be inclined to think battery or connection. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RUN YOUR ENGINE AND DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY TO SEE IF THE ALTERNATOR IS FINE. That will fuck up a good alternator in a hurry leading you to think you need an alternator when you more often then not didnt.