REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #26
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
[B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Scary...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
[/B]

Until I saw the video you posted, I, nor none of the people who trained us, nor those I had worked with, had ever heard of this term. It was not covered in training, nor was it ever experienced in the actual use of Laser on the job. It was not a technique trained for, nor trained against to prevent errors. The fact that someone some time ago?? in Britain came up with a new term is not scary...it's unusual. BTW...the Brits also use the terms "footpath, dual-carriageway, layby, bonnet, boot, facia, wings etc etc etc. Just because they use them and you dont know the meanings of all of them does not make them scary.

I've seen more hand-held traps set up than those using tripods. In fact I've seen more spotting scopes on tripods than lidar guns, presumably because any sort of distance introduces too much shake.

That is why the tripod is used for Laser. Unless you hold the instrument still so you can get a constant stationary distance between the target and the instrument , it is difficult to get the reading.

[B]
By definition, an estimation isn't accurate.

An estimation is accurate...if it is used as part of a tracking history to confirm a displayed target reading. A visual estimate of between 90-95kmh that is supported by a target speed showing in that same range shows that the estimate was accurate. If the displayed target speed is wildly different from the estimate then either the estimate or the speed were incorrect.

Because they're not accurate?
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
^Clearly zulutango's inability to use the QUOTE tags properly indicates a poor grasp of technology and thus all his laser-based speed tickets should have been thrown out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Old 03-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #28
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
^Clearly zulutango's inability to use the QUOTE tags properly indicates a poor grasp of technology and thus all his laser-based speed tickets should have been thrown out

Actually my technology comfort level is on par with the parts used in "The Six Million Dollar Man!!"
Old 03-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #29

So you're current to about 1974?
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #30
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
How thick are you? For the third time, NO.
lol that was a pretty fucking rude comment to make to somebody asking a question in a thread he started to ask questions
Old 03-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #31
I bringith the lowerballerith

He asked three times, I answered directly three times. He even "thanked" my post the first time i answered. The answer was also mentioned in someone else's post. Same thing. There's a quote that comes to mind about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? Same could be said about asking the same question over and over and expecting a different answer.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 03-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
lol that was a pretty fucking rude comment to make to somebody asking a question in a thread he started to ask questions
Quote:
Old 03-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #33
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
That is why the tripod is used for Laser.
So why is it common to see it being used hand-held?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:43 PM   #34
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
How thick are you? For the third time, NO.
Thanks for the reply man! Just looking for a second opinion other than yours. I appreciate the bold feedback though.

Heard you the first time, so the second and third time was rather redundant.

Hoping to hear from other members to see what they think though!

Last edited by jpw12; 03-28-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:06 PM   #35

Unfortunately for you, it is not an opinion that i gave, but fact. Go sit in on a traffic court session and it'll likely come up at least once. Ask anyone who has gone to court asking for a lower-than-$138 fine amount for speeding, ask any police officer or lawyer who has experience in traffic court. The answer won't change. As i already said, its the provincially mandated minimum fine amount for "simple" speeding. Just like the mandated minimum for an excessive speeding ticket is $368 (41km/hr+ over the posted speed limit).
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2015, 10:18 PM   #36
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw12 View Post
but after consulting with the helpful members here I think I am considering paying the fine early to get a reduced fine or disputing it, and justify a reduced fine in front of a judge because of my current financial status.
Note the part I said about my personal financial status. I know enough that the justice system isn't built to heavily penalize low-income earners in proportion to average-income earners, but to provide justice where justice is due.

Quote:
Unfortunately for you, it is not an opinion that i gave, but fact. Go sit in on a traffic court session and it'll likely come up at least once. Ask anyone who has gone to court asking for a lower-than-$138 fine amount for speeding, ask any police officer or lawyer who has experience in traffic court. The answer won't change. As i already said, its the provincially mandated minimum fine amount for "simple" speeding. Just like the mandated minimum for an excessive speeding ticket is $368 (41km/hr+ over the posted speed limit).
But why do they have these dispute forms allowing me to "B1 - To request a reduction of the ticketed amount: and/or
B2 - To request time to pay the ticketed amount:"???

You word your answer with such a stern tone, which I really appreciate. just wondering if you could provide some insight about that form for my situation?
Old 03-28-2015, 11:07 PM   #37
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Note the part I said about my personal financial status. I know enough that the justice system isn't built to heavily penalize low-income earners in proportion to average-income earners, but to provide justice where justice is due.

But why do they have these dispute forms allowing me to "B1 - To request a reduction of the ticketed amount: and/or

You word your answer with such a stern tone, which I really appreciate. just wondering if you could provide some insight about that form for my situation?
If you had done a very quick search, you will find this: Fines & points for B.C. traffic offences

If you go to the speeding sections, most of them have a range of fines. Your fine given is the lowest of that range. You cannot go down further.

So you thought you were going to call out a number, and after about 5 times back and forth, settle somewhere in the middle?

This is a court, not fucking craigslist - you can't "negotiate".
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2015, 11:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post

This is a court, not fucking craigslist - you can't "negotiate".

Spoiler!
Quote:
Old 03-29-2015, 06:49 AM   #39

Quote:

My reply last night didn't seem to make it on here, but the jist of it was that its a standardized form for all disputes of any and all tickets. Some charges/fines don't have mandated minimums. In fact most of them don't. But thing like speeding and no insurance do. No insurance (a $598 ticket) can only be lowered to three hundred and something dollars. "Simple" speeding doesnt get any lower than $138. Excessive speeding doesn't get any lower than $368. Thats just what the government decided to do, so the JJPs of traffic court can not lower the fines any more than that.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:59 AM   #40
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
He asked three times, I answered directly three times. He even "thanked" my post the first time i answered. The answer was also mentioned in someone else's post. Same thing. There's a quote that comes to mind about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? Same could be said about asking the same question over and over and expecting a different answer.

Yes bro....it's called escaping into a divorce and then getting married again. We both know a guy called Ian who has been married 5 times....twice to the same wife....
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #41
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
^ LOL, sorry for some reason that really cracked me up.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #42
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:

Although you cannot get the fine reduced, you can ask for an extension of time to pay if you can show that you just financially can't afford it at the time.
You may even be able to ask for a payment plan but I'm not 100% sure about that one.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #43
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Overall your best (and only really) way to save money is to pay the ticket early and save $25, that gets you down to $113.

Quote:
There's a quote that comes to mind about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread