REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Family of cyclist killed in Stanley Park files suit

Family of cyclist killed in Stanley Park files suit

The Province article is below:

Quote:
The family of a woman who was killed on the Stanley Park causeway when her bike was hit by a bus is suing for damages.

North Vancouver resident Antonina Elzbieta Skoczylas was riding on the causeway sidewalk on May 25, 2013, when her bike collided with one or more individuals. The bike then went into the roadway, where Skoczylas was struck by a bus.

The suit, filed Tuesday by Skoczylas’s husband and son, contains allegations that have not been proven in court.

It names as defendants the B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, the West Vancouver Blue Bus Transit System, bus driver Murray Scott Carpenter and two pedestrians, Iloiko Elizabeth Laszlo and an unidentified person listed as Jane Doe No. 1.

The document outlines safety concerns about the causeway and says the ministry owed a duty of care that the suit alleges was breached as a result of negligence.

The suit alleges “negligence in the design, construction, signage and maintenance of the Stanley Park Causeway and the sidewalks” contributed to Skoczylas’s death.

It says the sidewalks are believed to be “too narrow and too steep” for cyclists to navigate safely, and too close to vehicles and too high above the roadway to allow a cyclist to maintain control should a bike leave the sidewalk.

In court documents, the victim’s family also alleges negligence on the part of the West Vancouver Blue Bus Transit System for not properly maintaining the bus involved in the accident, and for failing to adequately train Carpenter in “defensive driving and accident avoidance.”

Laszlo and Jane Doe No. 1 are described as “failing to keep an adequate, or any, lookout” for the oncoming cyclist and of not taking proper precautions to avoid the accident.

The Skoczylas family is seeking general and special damages, as well as interest and costs.

Following the 2013 death, the ministry vowed to conduct a safety review of the 2.2-kilometre stretch of Highway 99 that runs through Stanley Park.

Earlier this month, Transportation Minister Todd Stone announced that $7 million would be spent on improving pedestrian and cycling safety along the causeway by widening the pathways and installing safety fencing on both sides.

The planned improvements come as part of a larger $2.5-billion plan dubbed B.C. On the Move that would rehabilitate bridges, highways and side roads throughout B.C., and improve efficiency of trucks, ferries, and airports.
Cliffs:

- Family of dead cyclist (who made an unsafe passing maneuver and paid dearly for it) is suing literally everyone involved in the accident, including:
- The bus driver, Murray Scott Carpender
- B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure
- The West Vancouver Blue Bus Transit System
- Two pedestrians, Iloiko Elizabeth Laszlo, and unidentified person listed as Jane Doe No. 1.

What a boneheaded lawsuit. The pile of evidence related to the accident has ruled it as just that, an accident. One that was caused by a cyclist riding faster than she should have (relative to road conditions) too close to a couple of pedestrians. It's not enough that everyone involved who watched the cyclist die is probably scarred for life and dealing with emotional trauma, but now they have to defend themselves in court. I don't want to instantly say "money grab", but...
Advertisement
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

If her husband wins lawsuit money, he would probably spend it better than the ministry of transport anyways.
ree666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:52 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

If he wins,

There goes our tax dollars
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-27-2015, 12:10 AM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Wtf. Why not sue me too for breathing the same air
Old 03-27-2015, 01:20 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Wtf. Why not sue me too for breathing the same air
thats not a bad idea!
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:18 AM   #6
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,817 Times in 2,504 Posts
you'll get sued for just reading the article

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2015, 06:34 AM   #7
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
so will Gregor Robertson step in and make a bike lane?
Old 03-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
I STILL don't get it

We should be able to sue them for reproducing even though they clearly lack basic mental ability.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #9
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Let get this straight:
- From the pic there are no bike lanes and as far as the rules goes, if there are no bike lanes you ride your bike on the road not on the sidewalk where people walk.
- Since you didn't follow the rules and got kill why should anyone be blame but yourself?

So if I decided to jaywalk or run in for a car when it is green light for them and I get kill or injury my family or I can sue the drivers for damage? If that's the saw where do I sign up? I sure wouldn't mind risking a bit to get millions out of the gov!
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #10
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
If he wins,

There goes our tax dollars
Our tax dollars have nothing to due with it, insurance will cover everything.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
so will Gregor Robertson step in and make a bike lane?
They already are:

Stanley Park bike path upgrades approved by Vancouver Park Board - British Columbia - CBC News

I just have to say as stupid as this lawsuit is, it is no coincidence that this comes 3 days after they announce plans to make upgrades to the stretch.

Now it's going to look as if the entities involved agree that the design of that portion of sidewalk is dangerous, because we all know you don't change something that isn't broke (unless you are stupid like the government is being in this case).

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Fk. Cliffs should be put before the article.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
When shits happens, sue EVERYONE!! It's just the way it works. It's like asking $10k for something that's only worth $3k. If you asked $3k you wouldn't get it but if you ask $10k you can settle for $3k.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #14
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Ya, I don't really get why they are suing. Yes its sad that she died but if she hit other people on the sidewalk and a bus was simply minding its own business and she flew out in front of it, there still isn't really anything that the bus driver could do, he can't stop a bus on a dime. But I think that Stanley Park could use bike lanes because it is a large attraction for tourists and residences alike. Lowering the speed limit doesn't work because people just go what speed they think is suitable for the situation.
SuperChomely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #15
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
They already are:

Stanley Park bike path upgrades approved by Vancouver Park Board - British Columbia - CBC News

I just have to say as stupid as this lawsuit is, it is no coincidence that this comes 3 days after they announce plans to make upgrades to the stretch.

Now it's going to look as if the entities involved agree that the design of that portion of sidewalk is dangerous, because we all know you don't change something that isn't broke (unless you are stupid like the government is being in this case).
so if the cyclist runs into a walking pedestrian, are they gona put up another "safety fence"???
Old 03-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #16
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Assumption of risk.

Case denied.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Let get this straight:
- From the pic there are no bike lanes and as far as the rules goes, if there are no bike lanes you ride your bike on the road not on the sidewalk where people walk.
- Since you didn't follow the rules and got kill why should anyone be blame but yourself?

So if I decided to jaywalk or run in for a car when it is green light for them and I get kill or injury my family or I can sue the drivers for damage? If that's the saw where do I sign up? I sure wouldn't mind risking a bit to get millions out of the gov!
While I agree with you, it isn't the victim that is suing. Its the idiotic family.

I hope they truely feel an injustice has been done, otherwise, they are essentially whoring out their dead wife/mom.
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2015, 12:00 AM   #18
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
While I agree with you, it isn't the victim that is suing. Its the idiotic family.

I hope they truely feel an injustice has been done, otherwise, they are essentially whoring out their dead wife/mom.
feel sorry for the victim and for the family's loss

but from my conspiracy theory, it was probably the lawyer who suggest / encourage the family to do so while the family is taking advantage of it. Shit could happen.....

If I am the lawyer, I would expand the scope of work to make more billable hour

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 AM   #19
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Ridiculous.
Trying to make money off of their dead wife/mom that made a mistake on her part.

Should everyone else counter sue them for the trauma then? /sarcasm
Exc3L is offline   Reply With Quote