REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:10 AM   #51
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
It is quite simple. If someone does not want the police to use force then they need to comply. We never have to use force with a co-operative person.
Why do some people not understand this?
Advertisement
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2015, 09:50 AM   #52
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
because

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2015, 04:25 AM   #53
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
when you pull over, you should turn the car off and put your hands on the steering wheel.

These simple actions will relieve the officer from 2 things:
1) You're not going to drive off
2) You're not a threat (carrying a weapon or such)

The fact this dumbass still had his car running already pissed off the cop.
Legally, you don't need to lower your window all the way. But why wouldn't you?
Its' late at night, it's hard for the officer to see the driver's face, hence why he had to shine his flashlight in his face. It's just suspicious.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #54
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
I don't think you guys understand the situation from legal perspective.

Most of you say "if you have nothing to hide, why don't you cooperate?"
Well once you consent to searches, police can do whatever they want.

Here's the scenario:

You get pulled over on the road block, you aren't drinking or smoking weed, so you consent to searches because you have "nothing to hide"
If you ask lawyers, they will straight up tell you it's better not to consent to police searches.

Cops can tear your car down, doors, dashpanels, seats, everything.
They will literally throw your baggage outta trunk, and strip your car down.
Guess what, they aren't gonna fix everything in place for you, because you already consent it, and cops have no obligation to fix everything. Even if they broke something, like plastic pieces on your dash panel, your cell phone charger, anything.

Sure, in this particular case, the guy may have been smoking weed, but I've heard of completely innocent people in BC getting screwed over by this police searches without search warrant.

Also if the guy had a right to get a lawyer, he should have been able to. It's not illegal to get a lawyer, as soon as he said he's gonna call lawyer, sure maybe cops thought that he better hurry up because it may cause some mild to medium inconvenience to the officers, but if that's how legal system works/allows him to do, cops should have followed that rule. We're in Canada, not in China, North Korea or some messed up place where citizens have little to no rights.

I'm not supporting DUI in any way, I'm just talking about constitutional rights, if he had any in that situation. I don't think that cop was too bad, at least he warned the guy and stuff, but if he had a right to get a lawyer, he should have.

Last edited by Timpo; 04-01-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-01-2015, 09:52 AM   #55
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post

Here's the scenario:

You get pulled over on the road block, you aren't drinking or smoking weed, so you consent to searches because you have "nothing to hide"
If you ask lawyers, they will straight up tell you it's better not to cooperate to police searches.

Cops can tear your car down, doors, dashpanels, seats, everything.
They will literally throw your baggage outta trunk, and strip your car down.
Guess what, they aren't gonna fix everything in place for you, because you already consent it, and cops have no obligation to fix everything. Even if they broke something, like plastic pieces on your dash panel, your cell phone charger, anything.

Sure, in this particular case, the guy may have been smoking weed, but I've heard of completely innocent people in BC getting screwed over by this police searches without search warrant.

Also if the guy had a right to get a lawyer, he should have been able to. It's not illegal to get a lawyer, as soon as he said he's gonna call lawyer, sure it may cause some mild to medium inconvenience to the officers, but if that's how legal system works/allows him to do, cops should have followed that rule.
In this scenario the officer was not asking the individuals consent for a search, he flat out told the kid he was under arrest.

The kid starts off by saying all this crap about tell me why I was pulled over and that bullshit, in BC an officer doesn't have to have a reason to pull you over, he can pull you over just to check paperwork.

In this case I'm willing to bet this kid had flags on his tags, or his previous history alerted police to the fact that something could be up here. Coupled with his obvious attempts to hide something and the fact that it probably did smell like weed if they found weed in the car and you have a pretty clear case.

This case might have had some merit of the kid had a clean history, and had nothing in his car, but as it stands the kid was breaking the law and refused a direct order when asked to comply by an officer.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #56
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
It is quite simple. If someone does not want the police to use force then they need to comply. We never have to use force with a co-operative person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Because what if it's an unlawful request? Then we're going down a slippery slope where you're giving up your rights and complying just to avoid the use of unjustified force.

I'm not saying this is the same thing as what happened in this case, but this is to illustrate that for unlawful requests, you have the right to refuse to comply. If they use force to make you comply, they are violating your rights.

InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #57

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
ok well then maybe in this scenario everything was fine, looks like they even posted on their facebook page too.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #58
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Also if the guy had a right to get a lawyer, he should have been able to. It's not illegal to get a lawyer, as soon as he said he's gonna call lawyer, sure maybe cops thought that he better hurry up because it may cause some mild to medium inconvenience to the officers, but if that's how legal system works/allows him to do, cops should have followed that rule. We're in Canada, not in China, North Korea or some messed up place where citizens have little to no rights.
You have the right to a lawyer once you are arrested.

This isn't pirates of the carribean, telling a police officer you are going to call a lawyer doesn't mean they can't arrest you all of a sudden.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:05 AM   #59

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
I don't think you understand it from a life perspective.

Quote:
Except this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
In this scenario the officer was not asking the individuals consent for a search, he flat out told the kid he was under arrest.
The question of searching the car never came up, at least not in the portion of video the kid chose to share. If there's something before the video starts that includes a request to search, well, maybe he shouldn't have edited that out.

The video as everyone has seen it doesn't even include to cop asking for his DL and regi. It doesn't include the cop stating why he was pulled over, despite it being clear from later comments that he WAS told. So it's obvious there's more to the encounter that we're not being shown, probably because it doesn't suit this twat's purpose of making cops look like dicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Again with the US videos. Really, REALLY not the same kinda system here. Canadians need to get over the "Miranda rights" and all that other shit they've had crammed into their heads by American cop shows. IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY HERE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #60
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Again with the US videos. Really, REALLY not the same kinda system here. Canadians need to get over the "Miranda rights" and all that other shit they've had crammed into their heads by American cop shows. IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY HERE.
You do have your charter rights but i'm not sure if those kick in after being arrested or once you're detained.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #61

Yes we do have charter rights, but they're nowhere near the same as those under the US Constitution. For starters, the wording is substantially more Olde English and convoluted, but while much (not all) of the spirit of those rights are the same, a lot of the specifics are very different.
Quote:
Old 04-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #62
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_city23 View Post
You do have your charter rights but i'm not sure if those kick in after being arrested or once you're detained.
Random vehicle stops are authorized by the Motor Vehicle Act under section 73. Sure, some may argue that this infringes upon one's right to be free from arbitrary detention; but, the SCC has held that "the objective of controlling the social evil of drunk driving is of sufficient importance that the infringement is justified." It's a reasonable limitation under section 1 of the Charter.

Essentially, an officer is allowed to randomly stop a vehicle; s/he doesn't have to give you a reason. At this time, the officer will be able to observe the driver for signs of impairment to decide whether there are grounds to demand a breath sample. This is when one's right to counsel kicks in.

In this fool's case, the officer could smell marijuana coming out of his vehicle; this is sufficient for the officer to demand that he exit his vehicle.

However, this bumbling idiot refuses to comply, has his window smashed in, and gets dragged out. All of which are completely justified.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #63
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Because what if it's an unlawful request? Then we're going down a slippery slope where you're giving up your rights and complying just to avoid the use of unjustified force.

I'm not saying this is the same thing as what happened in this case, but this is to illustrate that for unlawful requests, you have the right to refuse to comply. If they use force to make you comply, they are violating your rights.
If an unlawful request is being made, at the roadside is not the time or place to be arguing it. Complying and dealing with it afterwards via the proper channels is going to end a lot better than refusing to comply with the same person that made the request.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #64
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Wish the kid didn't edit the video down so much, have too many questions..
Trak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #65
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
If an unlawful request is being made, at the roadside is not the time or place to be arguing it. Complying and dealing with it afterwards via the proper channels is going to end a lot better than refusing to comply with the same person that made the request.
So essentially, you would have to give up your rights.

No matter what a cop says, you should always comply?

Sure, you can deal with what results from it like getting your case thrown out of court or what not, but you will never reverse the fact that your rights were violated though.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #66
My homepage has been set to RS

as per police cheif

Quote:
This was not a traffic stop,” he said in a release Tuesday, “it was a drug arrest. Impaired driving alerted the officer to the danger the driver posed to public safety and marijuana smoke billowing from the car made the cause of that impairment obvious.

also Chu noted that charges are pending in the case for possession of marijuana for the purpose of trafficking. He also noted that no one was injured and no police complaint was filed.

hmm , however he wasn't charged with impaired driving or being under influence, but possession charges are pending..?!
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #67
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Miranda warning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see what the connection is with Miranda rights with this is.

What is "all that other shit" that's different from US than Canada that applies to this case? I would really like to know.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #68

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
So essentially, you would have to give up your rights.

No matter what a cop says, you should always comply?

Sure, you can deal with what results from it like getting your case thrown out of court or what not, but you will never reverse the fact that your rights were violated though.
I get your point, but look at it this way: what kind of outcomes do you think are likely from refusing to comply at the roadside? Do you really think someone who would violate your rights is just going to shrug and let you go? Because I feel like you're a lot more likely to end up with additional charges. You also better be 110% sure that what you think is correct or you'll have a really bad time.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #69
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
"Possession of Marijuana Over 30 gr, 2x Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking, and Obstruction/Willfully Resist Arrest"

These are the charges against the driver with regards to this stop. So if you are wondering why this happened.....yeah he got what he deserved.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #70

Quote:
Miranda warning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see what the connection is with Miranda rights with this is.
Example | Define Example at Dictionary.com

Quote:
What is "all that other shit" that's different from US than Canada that applies to this case? I would really like to know.
What constitutes probable cause... reasonable search... reasonable doubt. "I want my one phone call!" Blah blah blah. Zulu, sho, and other resident cops have commented on the differences many times. Perhaps you should start paying attention.
Quote:
Old 04-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #71

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Chris rock got pulled over 3 times in the last 2 months and no windows where broken.
Someone should take a lesson.

Chris Rock Police Photos: Comedian Claims He Was Stopped By Cops Three Times in Two Months, Posts Selfies - Hollywood Reporter
Old 04-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #72
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
What constitutes probable cause... reasonable search... reasonable doubt. "I want my one phone call!" Blah blah blah. Zulu, sho, and other resident cops have commented on the differences many times. Perhaps you should start paying attention.
Well, we already went over this earlier.

We don't know all of the details, but IF the officer only smelled burnt marijuana, not fresh marijuana, then this has been proven to be NOT sufficient grounds for arrest or vehicle search, IN CANADA.

IF that is what actually happened, then that guy's rights were violated.

Without know any additional details, I don't know if his rights were violated or not.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #73
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:

We don't know all of the details, but IF the officer only smelled burnt marijuana, not fresh marijuana, then this has been proven to be NOT sufficient grounds for arrest or vehicle search, IN CANADA.

Without know any additional details, I don't know if his rights were violated or not.
I think it's a sufficient ground to arrest or search to prevent destruction of evidence or to preserve evidence. That's really broad. Smelling burnt weed could reasonably lead to presuming there is more drugs in the car? seems viable.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #74
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:

Charges after being arrested this time.
"Possession of Marijuana Over 30 gr, 2x Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking, and Obstruction/Willfully Resist Arrest"

What would you like to bet he has others that would give an officer justified cause to pull this individual over?
Given that he was found to be in possession of marijuana (what the officer said he smelt) and had enough to have charges put against him I think really solidifies all the bullshit that keeps going on in this thread.
He's a drug dealer who got busted by a cop....job well done IMO.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2015, 02:06 PM   #75
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:

If an officer states 'You are under arrest', it's not an invitation to discuss whether or not you think he has grounds for it. If he didn't have grounds for it, there will be recourse later.
I can't believe you're still trying to make arguments from the kids side.. just stahp..