REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Inexpensive tow truck? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702616-inexpensive-tow-truck.html)

Hondaracer 04-02-2015 04:00 PM

Inexpensive tow truck?

I've gotta tow my truck from louheed mall to port kells 200th steet, last time I ised clover towing I paid $130 for a 20km tow..

Any recommendations for a cheaper tow? I can have them grab it any time during the day etc

Edit* or..a Thought, could I just sign up for BCAA and use a tow from my membership right away?

pherio 04-02-2015 04:16 PM

Unless you're stranded by the road, BCAA will not let you use your tow for 1 week after signing up and then it can only be towed to a shop.

Hondaracer 04-02-2015 04:20 PM

I blew one of my cylinders, it's currently parked inside a parkade but I could roll it out to th street, would that fly?

pherio 04-02-2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8618923)
I blew one of my cylinders, it's currently parked inside a parkade but I could roll it out to th street, would that fly?

They will probably say that since its already in a parkade, it's not a danger to traffic, and since you are out of the car already, not considered stranded. I don't know though, you would have to call them up.

murd0c 04-02-2015 04:46 PM

Get BCAA right now and it will be covered, thats your best bet and you will get future tows as well which you will prob need.

Remember BCAA always gives you one drunk drive home a year as well!!

murd0c 04-02-2015 04:46 PM

If I would of seen this sooner I could of met you at the mall and you could of used my BCAA card since I'm a nice guy!!

fliptuner 04-02-2015 04:49 PM

That would've been my suggestion - find someone with BCAA and give them $50 to meet up with the tow truck and use one of their tows.

IMASA 04-02-2015 05:23 PM

Check BCAA's website. If you sign up for the middle or top memberships, there's a 48hr waiting period after you sign up to get full benefits. Otherwise you get a 5km tow and I think it's like $1-$1.50 per km over the 5km. My intercooler charge pipe popped off and my car died just before the ramp to the knight street bridge. I used my dad's basic BCAA membership which gave me a 5km and paid like $12 extra to get it towed home.

iam_dan 04-02-2015 08:00 PM

you can pay additional fee to use it right away though.

underscore 04-02-2015 08:59 PM

Like others said, find a buddy with BCAA and then get it yourself. The one time I've used it so far they made it pretty easy, tow driver didn't even ask to see the card or anything.

driver 21 04-02-2015 11:40 PM

I can do it for you. LMK

778- 387- 6634 - Troy

tool001 04-03-2015 02:33 AM

U can use bcaa right after u sign up..however u have to pay $25 extra.thats added to ur membership. Did this last month.

SkinnyPupp 04-03-2015 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8618931)
If I would of seen this sooner I could of met you at the mall and you could of used my BCAA card since I'm a nice guy!!

*have *have *have

Hondaracer 04-03-2015 06:15 AM

Signed up for the premium membership for $130, only have to pay the $25 fee if you use it within 48 hours. I won't need It till next week so it works out!

The_AK 04-03-2015 08:37 AM

IMASA 04-03-2015 09:12 AM

Anyone with ICBC Road side plus? How does that compare with BCAA?
I've only used BCAA twice so far and every time they've sent a tow truck within 30mins.

iam_dan 04-03-2015 10:55 AM

hard to compare.

BCAA has its own fleet of tow trucks so the experience is quite consistent and you get tows up to the distance your membership tier provides (5, 160, 320km)

roadside plus gives you $50 reimbursement up to 3 times a year, so you could be using various different tow companies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMASA (Post 8619139)
Anyone with ICBC Road side plus? How does that compare with BCAA?
I've only used BCAA twice so far and every time they've sent a tow truck within 30mins.

TurboFC3S 04-03-2015 01:59 PM

I used to always use Hooked on towing, owners name is jason , they were great a few years back around 75 avg from burnaby to north delta. my guess is their price has gone up now though but you never know.

speaking of towing though if anybody knows someone with a flatdeck next week i need a low car towed from burnaby (metrotown area) to maple ridge (old albion area) :) shoot me a pm with a price to save me from calling around :D

SpartanAir 04-03-2015 09:17 PM

Lesson learned, just get BCAA, especially if you have an older car. I have the Plus membership which gives you 150km, plenty to get to your local shop. And it's usually less than the cost of a single tow, but you get several for the year.

I have to renew soon; I noticed on my bill I get a discount if I didn't use it in the past year. Still worth having, even to help out a friend for good karma :thumbsup:

Alatar 04-04-2015 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8618923)

Ford Triton? :p

Reeyal 04-06-2015 07:38 AM

Spoiler!

Whoa. Nothing beats the Russian driving experience than doing something completely dangerous while having a smoke.

Hondaracer 04-06-2015 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alatar (Post 8619633)
Ford Triton? :p

Yea :/

I redid all the cap over plugs and injectors myself, however I used an aftermarket NGK plug rather than motocraft. My mechanic said it's super common to blow your plugs out with aftermarket plugs because the threads are not as deep as the ford ones, second time it's happened this month :/

Klobbersaurus 04-06-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8620040)

I redid all the cap over plugs and injectors myself, however I used an aftermarket NGK plug rather than motocraft. My mechanic said it's super common to blow your plugs out with aftermarket plugs because the threads are not as deep as the ford ones, second time it's happened this month :/

its super common for them to blow out in general, not a spark plug brand issue

Alatar 04-11-2015 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8620040)

It's common for it, as mentioned above. The problem is a bit more complex, but to put it in simpler terms... there are 3 threads in the aluminum cylinder heads for each spark plug, which has about 16 steel threads. The spark plugs need to be torqued down properly, to around 13-16 ft lbs, depending on the year.

They need to be retorqued somewhat regularly, as the design/heat causes them to loosen off slowly over time. When this happens, they can vibrate slightly on the threads that are now loose, which ends up causing weakening of the aluminum in the threads on the head. When that happens, there's nothing really holding in all that pressure that you're getting (usually on the highway) behind that spark plug. Cue broken ignition coil and pop pop pop from no plug in the hole.

There are alternative fixes to removing the cylinder heads to repair the damage, and they are much cheaper than the Ford fix. They're also arguably better. The kits are somewhat expensive, though, so if you can find a shop that has one, it will run you just as much for the job, as if you were to try to buy a kit and attempt it yourself (which I really do not recommend unless you have the experience to know not how to not cause even more catastrophic damage to your engine).

So, in a nutshell... that's the explanation of what goes on with those Triton 4.6/5.4/6.8 engines. The 3403 NGK plugs you put in definitely weren't the problem.

BoostedBB6 04-11-2015 07:47 AM

I have private insurance and in my policy I have fee towing for up to 200kms a year. They allow me to use it even if its not my own car as long as I am there. Perhaps you have a friend who has a similar policy. Most private insurance polices have something like this.

I would offer to come there but I'm way the hell out in the valley and always working :P