REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Scammed no more?

Quote:
Vancouver police are endorsing the idea of conducting high-risk transactions for Craigslist deals in the lobby of their headquarters.

The endorsement comes after hundreds of young fans of the pop group Maroon 5 ended up losing hundreds of dollars on fake tickets purchased through Craigslist for the group's Vancouver concert on Sunday.

Const. Brian Montague said while they don't really have space for people selling mattresses or old couches, anyone nervous about buying or selling a high-risk item like a piece of jewellery or concert tickets is welcome to use their lobby to complete the deal.

Vancouver police say the public is welcome to use their lobby for extra security while closing high-risk online deals like the sale of concert tickets or jewellery.

"We don't get directly involved," said Montague, "It's mostly about deterrence. If someone is reluctant, that should give you a red flag."

The practice was recently endorsed by Craigslist, which has always recommended users complete transactions in a public area, in the popular website's personal safety recommendations. Several U.S. police departments have also supported the idea.

Montague points to the presence of police and the video surveillance as factors that would deter anyone with nefarious intentions.

While Vancouver police are unaware of anyone actually using the lobby for Craigslist transactions, Montague says it is likely deals are already taking place in the busy front entrance.

"I'm sure it is already happening and we are unaware of it," he said.
High-risk Craigslist deals can now be done at Vancouver police HQ - British Columbia - CBC News

I can't say that I've ever thought about this but this is a good move on the part of VPD to deter people from scamming. Seeing at 2015 has seen its fair share of scammers, this might be helpful to some of you that use craigslist or whatever it is to buy high risk items.
Advertisement

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2015, 04:26 AM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
i've seen, and heard of, people dealing drugs in front of the police station....i don't think this will deter some of the scammers out there. It may even give those few bold scammers confidence in not being scrutinized by the soon to be scammed.

But i imagine/hope it will deter a good amount of losers, just not all
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2015, 04:51 AM   #3
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
If they allow it in their lobby where there are cameras and actually investigate scammers caught on film I can see it helping. Other than that it will only prevent the cases where people get mugged like the 1 kid that met some guys in an alley behind a subway

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:06 AM   #4

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
It's somewhat of a good idea but not everyone has the time or lives closeby to VPD HQ.....
Old 04-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
It's somewhat of a good idea but not everyone has the time or lives closeby to VPD HQ.....
Your choice. Do a big transaction close or waste some time at a local police station

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #6

would rather do a "big transaction" in a public place like metrotown
Old 04-06-2015, 07:13 AM   #7

Quote:

would rather do a "big transaction" in a public place like metrotown
people doing CL transactions at Metro have been robbed, even at the food court, as there's that exit to the parkade right there
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #8
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
"We don't get directly involved," said Montague, "It's mostly about deterrence. If someone is reluctant, that should give you a red flag.".
Vancouver police is offering the service as a deterrence. There is no stopping scammers completely.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
people doing CL transactions at Metro have been robbed, even at the food court, as there's that exit to the parkade right there
robbed as in the person running away with the item?

I've never done a transaction at the food court as its on the other side of the mall and you can easily get distracted from the transaction with how busy it is and the noise

i disagree with the post about if someone isn't willing to meet at VPD HQ, it's a red flag. Like I said, not everyone has the time or lives close by to it. I'd be pretty pissed if i did meet there only to have the buyer/seller flake out last minute (when you've made the effort to get there etc)

To each of their own though
Old 04-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
What if I bought legit concert tickets off Craigslist and days later report them as counterfeits (assuming I'm the counterfeiter)?

Seems like a non-solution if anything.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
robbed as in the person running away with the item?
as in threatened with a knife/group of people
and i believe a lady in a wheelchair was also robbed, just can't recall the details
Old 04-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
as in threatened with a knife/group of people
pulled a knife out...in a public place like metrotowns food court?

what a world we live in....
Old 04-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #13

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
pulled a knife out...in a public place like metrotowns food court?

what a world we live in....
It's the real world....the sooner people realize this, the sooner they will be able to start protecting themselves from the harshness that is in our society.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #14
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I always find a Starbucks or a Tim Hortons as good places to meet and do a deal. Usually busy and awkward to escape if things go down bad
Habboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #15

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habboy View Post
I always find a Starbucks or a Tim Hortons as good places to meet and do a deal. Usually busy and awkward to escape if things go down bad
Not to mention, cops are always sitting at Tim Hortons lol.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:15 AM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
i just asked this question last week i think it was. About doing transactions in places such as outside a police station hah. With them not getting involved in the transaction, I'm wondering that if it were a high risk item such as jewelery (or concert tickets) if they would be able to help in any way.

Last edited by stewie; 04-07-2015 at 05:25 AM.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:31 AM   #17
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
I think you should sticky this thread on all of the buy&sell section

also, I recall years back a member on here was selling a gold chain and met the dude at metro. dude ending up running away and never got caught. even though security caught his friend or some shit they didnt have enough evidence or proof to do shit.
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
bumping an older thread

if meeting at a bank, the cash should be deposit with a teller during business hours, otherwise depositing at ATM there's still the risk that potential counterfeit won't be realized until next business day or so and and the onus would be on you who deposited it, correct?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:08 AM   #19
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I always deal in public areas such as metrotown,pacific center. I mostly sell phones so I always made sure not to tell the buyer the pin till I counted the money and make sure it is real. Also have find my iphone on and on non-iphones I can device manager to track the phone. Also wrote down the IMEI and any info about the phone in case I was rob. I can report it and have the phone black list.

Once everything goes through I tell the buyer the PIN, disable found my found etc etc..... at least with this approach even if they manage to steal the phone, I can track where it went and have it blacklisted (although I wish the blacklist can take affect within 48hours so they can't resell the phone).

Other than that I only deal with RS and actually take a look at their buyer/seller review, how long they been active and how many post they posted. If the party seems fishy I won't deal with them.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #20
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
bumping an older thread

if meeting at a bank, the cash should be deposit with a teller during business hours, otherwise depositing at ATM there's still the risk that potential counterfeit won't be realized until next business day or so and and the onus would be on you who deposited it, correct?
i don't think the teller checks a gangster roll of bills if everyone is legit. don't they just feed it in to the counter, drop it in a ziplock bag and off it goes? unless it's a few bills and they can easily visually see as bogus, i wouldn't trust a teller picking out fake bills on the spot. maybe someone that's a teller can confirm.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #21
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
I was a teller many moons ago. If a teller can't spot a fake bill, they suck at their job. Unless someone's dropping several grand in cash, it doesn't take a lot of time to count bills by hand and spot the fakes. Besides, if anything, everyone should learn to spot fake bills - it's not hard.

If you're buying/selling high cost items, it's best to deal with bank drafts, money orders. But I guess people also sell on Craigslist because they don't want a paper trail.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote