REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #51
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRV View Post
Fuck the police
Does it make much sense to judge the entire institution for the actions of an individual?
Advertisement
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 12-11-2017 at 06:21 PM.
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #52
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
The system is broken if trigger happy goofs like that are given a job in the first place.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
The system is broken if trigger happy goofs like that are given a job in the first place.
And how would you propose to make it completely fool proof then?
Or should we just get rid of it altogether?
-Norm Franz
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #54

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Does it make much sense to judge the entire institution for the actions of an individual?
Yes is does J

If someone makes racist comments and their whole family doesnt see anything wrong with it, then it makes them all racist too. Thats the problem with the police force, a cop can make a mistake, shoot someone and the whole force will never admit too any wrongdoing. Theyll back them up and say what they did was perfectly fine. Thats why the public has no faith in the police anymore because when cops shoot innocent people, it follows there "protocol"
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #55

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:
And how would you propose to make it completely fool proof then?
Or should we just get rid of it altogether?
Right back to the gun supporter approach eh? If we can't stop it 100% then we shouldn't try at all right?

These guys don't exactly have Hannibal Lecter smarts, it wouldn't be hard to weed out some of these "I was bullied in highschool so it's time for payback" assholes.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #56

So if your child got abducted, and the police found the perpetrator and your child, you'd say fuck the police, right?
-Norm Franz
Old 12-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #57
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
I would say Yes.

The cop killed a dude carelessly. If you go through the whole report, the spokesperson for the police department says, "We don't think charges should have ever been laid in the first place."

So THIS ENTIRE specific Arizona Police Department institution in particular, I would judge. How the fuck does the spokesperson of the entire PD vouch for this murderer?

There are literally Countless other examples of police getting away with cold blooded murder, similar to the example above across the country.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #58
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
So if your child got abducted, and the police found the perpetrator and your child, you'd say fuck the police, right?
What if I fuck your mom, but I give you a thousand bucks? You wouldn't want to punch me in the face?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #59
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
I would say Yes.

The cop killed a dude carelessly. If you go through the whole report, the spokesperson for the police department says, "We don't think charges should have ever been laid in the first place."

So THIS ENTIRE specific Arizona Police Department institution in particular, I would judge. How the fuck does the spokesperson of the entire PD vouch for this murderer?

There are literally Countless other examples of police getting away with cold blooded murder, similar to the example above across the country.
You do realize it isn't reviewed by every single member of the department right?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #60

Quote:
I would say Yes.

Literally countless eh? It would be nice if there were statistics.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/inv...=.24ce3f4eb76d

Quote:

But only a small number of the shootings — roughly 5 percent — occurred under the kind of circumstances that raise doubt and draw public outcry, according to an analysis by The Washington Post. The vast majority of individuals shot and killed by police officers were, like Snyder, armed with guns and killed after attacking police officers or civilians or making other direct threats.

Jim Pasco, executive director of the national Fraternal Order of Police, said The Post’s findings confirm what police officers already know.

“We know that anecdotally, because typically that’s why police officers choose to use deadly force,” said Pasco, whose organization includes 335,000 officers nationwide. “These are circumstances where their lives or the lives of citizens around them are in imminent danger.”

In 74 percent of all fatal police shootings, the individuals had already fired shots, brandished a gun or attacked a person with a weapon or their bare hands, according to an analysis of actions immediately preceding the shootings, which draws on reports from law enforcement agencies and local media coverage. These 595 cases include fatal shootings that followed a wide range of violent crimes, including shootouts, stabbings, hostage situations, carjackings and assaults.

Another 16 percent of the shootings came after incidents that did not involve firearms or active attacks but featured other potentially dangerous threats. These shootings were most commonly of individuals who brandished knives and refused to drop them.

The 5 percent of cases that are often second-guessed include individuals who police said failed to follow their orders, made sudden movements or were accidentally shot. In another 4 percent of cases, The Post was unable to determine the circumstances of the shootings because of limited information or ongoing investigations.
And I just watched the Shaver video. If you watch frame by frame just prior to him being shot, he reaches his right arm behind his back. It's pretty clear in the video.
That's why the jury found him not guilty.

Quote:
What if I fuck your mom, but I give you a thousand bucks? You wouldn't want to punch me in the face?
Sorry, you'll have to explain the relativity of this question.
I can certainly explain mine.
-Norm Franz
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #61
GS8

Thanked 7,280 Times in 1,968 Posts
- I wouldn't blame all of Starbucks when one barista gives me bad service

- I wouldn't blame the entire Dental Association when one Dentist gives me a bad root canal

- I wouldn't blame all teachers when I had a shitty gender studies Prof

- I wouldn't blame all black people for the one who stole my phone

---

There's bad people everywhere and cops are no exception. Some cops do think they're above the law and those people should be gone as they are supposed to be law ENFORCERS. I've read stories on raids at the wrong address and that whole thing just left me

But to make blanket statements like 'fuck the police' is what creates the already divisive culture we have.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #62
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
Literally countless eh? It would be nice if there were statistics.
Wisconsin trooper faced down a gunman who planned to go out fighting | The Washington Post
Look at the stats and find a counter argument for me please.

More examples of cases of cops killing people:
- Eric Garner, Tamir Rice, Philando Castile
- Look up their names on youtube for their murder videos at the hands of police
- Yes countless other cases can be found this was all just in 5 mins of searching

Quote:
And I just watched the Shaver video. If you watch frame by frame just prior to him being shot, he reaches his right arm behind his back. It's pretty clear in the video.
That's why the jury found him not guilty.
If you honestly think that the cop is innocent and responded appropriately in that specific scenario, then there really is no arguing with you. We just have totally different opinions on what is right and what is wrong.

Quote:
Sorry, you'll have to explain the relativity of this question.
I can certainly explain mine.
How is it so different? The metaphor is me making my entire being the 'police force'. Sure, I may do some bad things (i.e. fucking your mom), but just because I do that, it does not mean that every fiber of my body is bad.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #63

Holy fuck. 3 people? And that condemns the entire force?
If I showed you three cases where a woman killed a man, unprovoked, would you say fuck all women?
What if I showed you ten? What about a hundred? A thousand?

I can't say whether or not he acted appropriately. I wasn't the one pulling the trigger. But the jury seemed to think so after just six hours.
And it appears he followed protocol.
And clearly this wasn't like the vast majority of shootings that are indefinitely justifiable.

Honestly, with the amount of power the police have, and how fucked up individuals are these days, I'm surprised things are as good as they are. Especially with the sentiment of contempt for them by the general public. These people should see what it's like to live in a country where the police force is institutionally crooked.

And look, you're more than welcome to make comments like fuck the police. Just like I'm more than welcome to debate them. But let's try and keep it somewhat intelligible.
-Norm Franz
Old 12-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #64
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
If I showed you three cases where a woman killed a man, unprovoked, would you say fuck all women?

I can't say whether or not he acted appropriately. I wasn't the one pulling the trigger. But the jury seemed to think so after just six hours.
And clearly this wasn't like the vast majority of shootings that are indefinitely justifiable.

Honestly, with the amount of power the police have, and how fucked up individuals are these days, I'm surprised things are as good as they are. Especially with the sentiment of contempt for them by the general public. These people should see what it's like to live in a country where the police force is institutionally crooked.

And look, you're more than welcome to make comments like fuck the police. Just like I'm more than welcome to debate them. But let's try and keep it somewhat intelligible.
The video has full stats
Old 12-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #65
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:

But you're ok with banning people from a whole country just because of a few bad apples.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #66

Quote:
Look at the stats and find a counter argument for me please.
Not too hard to do that.

Murder rates:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._homicide_rate

Denmark: 0.99
Finland: 1.60
United kingdom: 0.92

United States: 4.88

It's pretty easy to argue police brutality against countries with far far lower murder rates.
Funny, your boy Cjenk didn't compare to Mexico or Brazil eh?
-Norm Franz
Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #67
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
Not too hard to do that.

Murder rates:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._homicide_rate

Denmark: 0.99
Finland: 1.60
United kingdom: 0.92

United States: 4.88

It's pretty easy to argue police brutality against countries with far far lower murder rates.
Funny, they didn't compare to Mexico or Brazil eh?

Seems hard to find relevant data though eh. The data provided in the video I link is in relation to cop violence. Yours is overalll homicide rates, what’s the logic in posting that?

And yeah your right, the USA is a country that is more similar to Mexico than other developed first world Countries =/
Old 12-11-2017, 09:48 PM   #68

Quote:
Seems hard to find relevant data though eh. The data provided in the video I link is in relation to cop violence. Yours is overalll homicide rates, what’s the logic in posting that?

And yeah your right, the USA is a country that is more similar to Mexico than other developed first world Countries =/
Because police killings are going to correlate to homicide rates. That's why Cjenks comparisons aren't valid.
-Norm Franz
Old 12-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #69
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
rewatch the second video and tell me with a straight face he wasn't looking for the slightest cue to blast the guy's head off.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 12-11-2017 at 10:41 PM. Reason: name mix-up
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #70

I watched it. Frame by frame. The guy did reach behind his back tho. Why in the fuck would you do that?
I'm not saying one way or the other on that call. I'm not in the guys shoes. Anything beyond the facts are just opinion. And the facts are that he followed protocol.
There was a report of guns being at the residence. That's why they were there. Apparently they weren't real guns but he didn't know that at the time obviously.

And I'm really not trying to argue his innocence. I'm just saying I don't think it does anybody any good to incite animosity between the vast majority of men and women who risk their lives every day (and for the most part I think do a pretty good job) and those that they're trying to protect.

I think we need to ask, how many of us here would want to be in their shoes?
-Norm Franz
Old 12-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
rewatch the second video and tell me with a straight face he wasn't looking for the slightest cue to blast the guy's head off.
Hold on, which video you talking about? See you edited the post
-Norm Franz
Old 12-11-2017, 11:18 PM   #72

Really, it doesn't even matter. Of course there are videos of police unjustly killing people. That's never going to stop.
Just like civilians unjustly killing won't.
Neither will racism or sexism, or any other bad deed.
But as long as they're on an individual level, I'm fine with accepting that.
-Norm Franz
Old 12-11-2017, 11:25 PM   #73
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
so what's the protocol?

the instruction was not to move a single muscle. then he was asked to get into an position for arrest.

then asked to crawl forward? WTF. I am not versed in how to cuff someone when you're handling an AR but I don't see how crawling forward would de-escalate the situation after you're already about to pop a vein barking commands. So what was this cop's next instruction after crawling forward gonna be? Here, cuff yourself??

No, but I didn't sign up to be in the police. He understood the risks in this line of work.

A spokesperson's statement, the title position says it all. The statement is on behalf of that entire police department. Does that mean every officer there is hot-headed? It at least suggests their training is to be questioned if the response is "just following protocol"

and we don't need the shit happens remark. It's the fact that he was acquitted that's got the public angry.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:45 PM   #74

It's because he reached.
Sure, I will agree that protocol in that department should be reviewed. Maybe. I don't think either of us really know enough about the specifics of it to make a valid judgment on that tho
-Norm Franz
Old 12-11-2017, 11:55 PM   #75
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,451 Times in 5,113 Posts
There is absolutely no reason why he couldn't have approached that gentleman while face down with his palms stretched outward or clasped behind his head, keeping his gun trained, then kneeling into his back and handcuffing him. That is standard procedure. I know this because I've been through the training myself.

It never should have gotten to the point where the suspect is able to be in a position where it appears he reaches.

This officer is/was a complete lunatic... and he was also let go/fired for various other reasons beyond this incident.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote