REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 04-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

How do condo mailboxes work?

I never quite figured it out with Canada post parcels. We have individual small mail box for letters and one community parcel box. Every unit have their own key to their designated mail box.

When a parcel from Canada post comes, it gets put into the parcel box and the mailman will put the key to parcel into designated unit number's mail box.

Here is where I have uncertainty.
- What do people do with the key? Do they put it back into the parcel box unlocked (and pray nobody will take or duplicate the parcel key?)
- what if unit #20 and unit #47 both gets a parcel Rom Canada post. Who will get the key?

Since the strata is new, nobody seems to know. And the strata manager doesn't know too
Advertisement
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
You put the key back in the slot for outgoing mail, and the postie gets it when they pick up the mail. As far as duplicating the key, no legitimate key cutter is supposed to copy a mail key.

If two people get parcels, assuming they both fit in the box one will get a key, and the other will get an attempted delivery slip like they leave on your door and they'll be able to pick it up themselves.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,931 Times in 583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
...As far as duplicating the key, no legitimate key cutter is supposed to copy a mail key.
Actaully, after speaking with Canadapost, you are allowed to copy your mail key. The communal box key probably has a "Do not copy" stamp on it though.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #4

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Really? That sounds a bit weird. I'll take a look at the communal key the next time I get a package but I don't think it says anything on it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

qwhyu9p0
hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Even if it doesn't explicitly say "Do Not Copy", it may have a code stamping on it which means the same thing. I used to have to sign off on cutting new keys for our office, and they only ever had a single letter stamped on them. Couldn't cut a new one at a locksmith without a management signature and contact details.

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #7
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
Leave the key in your own mailbox. Your postal worker will remove the key and reuse the box when its empty. Do not leave it in the parcel box with it opened, chances are it will be stolen.

And yes you can copy the key. The key belongs to your building and Canada post doesn't give a shit if its stolen or someone copied it. They will do nothing unless you pay for it to be rekeyed.

As for who gets the compartment when theres multiple parcels, its up to the postal worker to decide.
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coren View Post
As for who gets the compartment when theres multiple parcels, its up to the postal worker to decide.
Leave the postie a $10 a starbucks card and i'm sure he will work something out next time when you get a parcel.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCubed View Post
Actaully, after speaking with Canadapost, you are allowed to copy your mail key. The communal box key probably has a "Do not copy" stamp on it though.
I used to work at Wal-mart and was told that as long as we don't see the
Do not copy" word we can copy it. So that's what we told customers and they just use some tape cover the word and we have to copy their keys.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
You put the key back in the slot for outgoing mail, and the postie gets it when they pick up the mail. As far as duplicating the key, no legitimate key cutter is supposed to copy a mail key.

If two people get parcels, assuming they both fit in the box one will get a key, and the other will get an attempted delivery slip like they leave on your door and they'll be able to pick it up themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Do not copy" word we can copy it. So that's what we told customers and they just use some tape cover the word and we have to copy their keys.
"Wal-mart" and "legitimate" should not be used in the same sentence.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #11

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
That's so wrong.

As for the communal mail box key. I bet the key blank is controlled and is only available to people how are authorized to cut the key.