REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
Oil Spill in English Bay. Toxic bunker fuel.

Talking about shit hitting the fan. Bunker fuel was spilled into English Bay.

Oil spill in English Bay | News1130

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – There’s been an oil spill in English Bay.

The City of Vancouver says the substance is bunker fuel. It adds the fuel is toxic and advises people not to touch it.

An emergency response team was called in to deal with the substance just after 5 p.m. yesterday and clean-up continues today.

Chad Dey could see the mess from the News1130 Air Patrol this morning.

“A large area is covered. If you look at the cargo ships that are anchored in English Bay, they are surrounded by large patches of this substance. You can see it on the surface of the water, as well; it tops it near Sunset and First Beach.”

Steve Keenan went out for a paddle last night and came back with a streak of residue on his boat.

“When it was around us, we could smell it,” he describes.

“We stopped in the middle of it. We’d been paddling for about 45 minutes and looked… you could see the brown stuff all over the sides of the boats. So we proceeded to try to get out of that area… but we couldn’t tell which way to go to get of it as fast as possible,” he tells us.

“I needed WD-40… [it was the only thing that was getting it off]. I feels almost like chewing gum,” adds Keenan.

John Parker-Jervis with Port Metro Vancouver says most of the oil is concentrated around a grain vessel, which is believed to be the source of the leak.

“It’s not confirmed that that’s the source,” he explains. “However, given there was a lot around that, the West Coast Marine Response Corporation has boomed off that ship.”

If you see fuel on or near a beach, you’re asked to call the Coast Guard at 1-800-889-8852.
Advertisement

Last edited by pastarocket; 01-23-2017 at 06:01 AM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Another reason Crusty Crab is going to say:

"And this is why oil should be transported in pipelines!"

Spoiler!
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-09-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
^ it's not coming from an oil transport ship.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
That's super shitty, and sadly expected. It's a coastal/port city, this probably happens every single day on a much smaller scale.

For all we know the ship is well maintained and was recently inspected etc, but if they find any reason to believe otherwise, I hope there are MASSIVE fines involved.

Of course this has nothing to do with pipelines, but it's still a great reminder of the potential consequences of a leak and should put pressure on the Gov to impose significant conditions on the pipeline and ships to prevent a catastrophic release.

Spoiler!
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Nothing to do with pipelines or oil transport vessels but I bet it will still have some negative affects for the industry, sigh. However, it is a good reminder and we should not become complacent with our practices so these things not happen again..
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
Monty is fucking pissed about this. Another weekend of chasing ducks foiled.
Its certainly unfortunate but I'll wait to see how much damage is done before I get my pitchfork.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #7

i hope nobody goes into the waters off engish bay to being with. . all the squatters (i mean boats that are marooned illegally around science world, Granville island and such, dump thr sewage in the bay, that water because it remains still is quite filthy.

mayor Mcbike maybe u should clean-up the bay/enforce by laws rather than building bike lanes.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
This has nothing to do with the story (because this story is not related to a tanker ship, nor was it crude which was spilled), but since it is going to come up:

I don't understand how anyone can be against a pipeline because of the belief that a tanker will spill its load. I understand how the debate came up because people seem to stupidly believe that not having a pipeline will take away all the tankers, but that's such a stupid belief it's unbelievable. Tankers are not going away because you don't want a pipeline, nor will not having a pipeline take the tankers away.

The only two things you need to look at to understand that a pipeline is a good choice, is look at the alternative of the actual pipeline. AKA this debate should have always been Rail transport vs. Pipeline.

However that debate didn't fit the hippy idiots argument, because it is so fucking obvious that whichever way you slice it a pipeline is way safer than rail transport.

So instead the hippy idiots made vastly stupid claims, and unreasonably idiotic arguments, and the stupid anti-oil sheep, who don't know shit started rallying behind their stupid movement.

Now we have this nightmare which any reasonable person who looks at it can't believe how something so simple has spiraled into this retarded debate.

And the opposition to pipelines has rallied a bunch of morons, and tied this crap up in political red tape, and now the entire group has basically plugged their ears like a bunch of children and won't listen to any sort of reasoning.

The entire situation is maddening.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #9

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
This has nothing to do with the story (because this story is not related to a tanker ship, nor was it crude which was spilled), but since it is going to come up:

I don't understand how anyone can be against a pipeline because of the belief that a tanker will spill its load. I understand how the debate came up because people seem to stupidly believe that not having a pipeline will take away all the tankers, but that's such a stupid belief it's unbelievable. Tankers are not going away because you don't want a pipeline, nor will not having a pipeline take the tankers away.

The only two things you need to look at to understand that a pipeline is a good choice, is look at the alternative of the actual pipeline. AKA this debate should have always been Rail transport vs. Pipeline.

However that debate didn't fit the hippy idiots argument, because it is so fucking obvious that whichever way you slice it a pipeline is way safer than rail transport.

So instead the hippy idiots made vastly stupid claims, and unreasonably idiotic arguments, and the stupid anti-oil sheep, who don't know shit started rallying behind their stupid movement.

Now we have this nightmare which any reasonable person who looks at it can't believe how something so simple has spiraled into this retarded debate.

And the opposition to pipelines has rallied a bunch of morons, and tied this crap up in political red tape, and now the entire group has basically plugged their ears like a bunch of children and won't listen to any sort of reasoning.

The entire situation is maddening.
Mostly accurate with the exception that we can move a far more significant volume of liquids via pipeline than rail could.. more volume, more traffic, increased possibility of an incident and release.

The facts are this, today the 9th of April 2015 there is oil in English Bay, and there is no Gateway Pipeline.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:11 AM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Truly a saddening occurrence. Curious as to what measures could have been put in place to prevent something like this from happening? Or happening again? Or is it just a fluke of bad luck?
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #12

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
Truly a saddening occurrence. Curious as to what measures could have been put in place to prevent something like this from happening? Or happening again? Or is it just a fluke of bad luck?
Perhaps gluten or carb free diets would have prevented this since it was a grain boat from what I've heard.

Just my gut feeling but after working in a shipyard I would say negligence equivalent to someone driving with 1% brake pad life left. You can get pulled over for a bent license plate on your car but on the water you can plug a hole in your yacht with silly putty and get away with it. There is a bc ferry on the ocean floor with fuel/oil and I don't remember hearing much about fines etc. maybe I'm wrong someone google it
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #13
I subscribe to Revscene

We really dont know what happened since you cant trust the media. ie. SandyHook, Boston bombings, Ukraine, 911, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
B.C. already has its own energy resources, coal and gas. On top of that we are waist high in resources... we dont need to be a desperate province that relies on big oil to churn the economy. Basically sucking the Illuminatis dick if members better understand that.
Its obvious that the sheeple are the ones in your debate camp. You have no notion of history or how this country really came about. You have no idea who owns it nor where its headed.
Fukashima already ruined this province by the same players... the last thing we need is brainwashed members of the public like yourself to try an convince us that pipelines and tanker traffic is good for us... and the next thing you'll claim is that the Communist are going to win the global race for domination and for us to sell our children to war or be a stupid sheep hippie.

Im headed to the beach now to see if I can spot anything on the shore.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc

Last edited by CharlesInCharge; 04-09-2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: grammer
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #14
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
omg not bunker fuel!!!! that's sooooo much worse than just normal ship fuel....oh wait

spills are bad of course but this spin with the term 'bunker' is a bit much
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #15
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Another reason Crusty Crab is going to say:

"And this is why oil should be transported in pipelines!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
^ it's not coming from an oil transport ship.
Just because it is not coming from an oil transport ship does not mean Christy Clark won't say such nonsense.

Did you see her tweet about Good Friday?

Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:43 PM   #16
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
Shitty deal. Hope the cleanup is thorough

What's funny though is the amount of 'social media backlash' that erupted. I went ahead and checked out some of the backlash.

People were just assuming it was an oil tanker that leaked even WELL AFTER it was established it was NOT a tanker.

I swear people in this city do the city no favours by showing off just how fucking stupid they are.

Read the facts, then voice your opinions
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #17
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
People were just assuming it was an oil tanker that leaked even WELL AFTER it was established it was NOT a tanker.

I swear people in this city do the city no favours by showing off just how fucking stupid they are.

Good on CBC for calling it a fuel spill. Most of the other news outlets are calling it an oil spill - not caring that most people will equate an oil spill to deepwater horizon.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #18
I don't get it

Had the Kitsilano coast guard station still be open, discovery and clean up time could have been quicker. Fuck you Harper.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #19
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8 View Post
Had the Kitsilano coast guard station still be open, discovery and clean up time could have been quicker. Fuck you Harper.
I thought it was more for distress calls than spills?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2015, 05:16 PM   #20
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Cue the moronic Vancouver hippies who will somehow tie this disaster to their anti-pipeline argument in 3, 2, 1....
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #21
HELP ME PLS!!!

This is why you need to vote yes in the public transit referendum. If we had more bikes lanes, it's obvious that people would be more inclined to only buy local goods, which in turn lowers the need to import grain and wheat. Without demand, that tanker wouldn't even be here.

Obviously bike lanes could've prevented this!!

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2015, 12:23 AM   #22

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2015, 03:15 AM   #23
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
^^^...fucking idiot...where's the Tackle when you need one?

Last edited by Mr.Money; 04-10-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:53 AM   #24

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
No wonder my water were a little brown. I showered in it too.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Shitty deal. Hope the cleanup is thorough

What's funny though is the amount of 'social media backlash' that erupted. I went ahead and checked out some of the backlash.

I think Vancouver people are so bored that they exaggerate anything that happens to have a quick thrill.

fuel spill = OMG! exxon valdez
stanley cup finals = vatican elected a bad pope riot!
earthquake = RICHMOND'S GONNA SINK!!