REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 04-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Slideshow software that scans folders

Not sure if this is entirely a photography based question but I thought I'd have better luck in here than in the Computers forum since this group would deal more with something in this realm.

I'm looking to find a piece of software (freeware or reasonably priced) that will "watch" a folder and display the images in this folder (randomly or otherwise - doesn't really matter) as a slideshow. My Google-Fu has turned up a lot of apps that will do a slideshow but you have to pre-select the files you want to display.

What I was wanting to do was during a wedding reception, have pictures projected onto a screen via a laptop, and guests would be providing content throughout the evening to me. What I'd like to do is dump all these files as I get them into a folder, and the app would display them without me having to stop the slideshow and re-select the images to have them display.

Anyone know of something that would do the trick?
Advertisement
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:02 AM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
How would the guests get you the photo's?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:06 AM   #3

I'll be projecting off a laptop so I'll have various micro USB and iPhone cables connected to it so we can pull pictures off the phone.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #4

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
The easiest way would be to set the projector as a secondary screen (set it to "extend" not "duplicate" so the projector won't show any icons/taskbar/the folders you're working with) and use the automatic Windows 7 desktop background slideshow setting. Set it to shuffle and shorten the timer down to whatever you like, point it to a folder for the wedding and as people give you photos dump them into the folder. Windows will automatically pick up on new pictures added to the folder and add them into the mix.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #5

As a side note if you're going to be having a lot of people plugging devices in be sure to make a full backup of your computer first, you never know if someone's going to unknowingly give you a drive with viruses.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 04-14-2015, 07:10 PM   #6

Thanks underscore. I might have to load Windows 7 on my laptop then. I've currently got Windows 8.1 on there and it too looks like it works off a selection of pictures. (well at least it looks that way when I select my folder and it displays my pictures in the folder with check marks next to each one)

I'm not too worried about the laptop since I really only use it for travelling. I can reformat and reinstall it after I'm done with it.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #7

Try it in Windows 8.1 first, that sounds like how Windows 7 works but if you hit "select all" and hit OK it will automatically add and "check" new photos added to the folder. I tested it with 7 this morning and that's how it worked so I'd guess 8.1 is the same.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: