REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Found a Gold iPhone 6 Yesterday!!! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/702868-found-gold-iphone-6-yesterday.html)

NotRevSeen 04-15-2015 03:28 AM

Found a Gold iPhone 6 Yesterday!!!

Ok guys, I was at the food court yesterday with my gf and found the iphone lying on the seat at the table. Have a feeling it somehow slipped out the owners pocket when he/she went to get up and leave????

I tried navigating inside the phone to see if I could find owner/contact to return the phone but it has a passlock. What should I do? I might just go back to the mall and see if I can leave it at the help desk and hopefully the owner will look for it.

Spoiler!

jack3d 04-15-2015 03:36 AM

dont leave it at the help desk. chances are someone working there is gonna take it

CRS 04-15-2015 03:39 AM

Maybe leave the phone at an apple store? Or see if they can contact the owner from there?

Spoiler!

GC8 04-15-2015 03:49 AM

good on ya!
cant believe the owner hasnt called themselves... that should be the first thing you do!

flagella 04-15-2015 06:48 AM

Ya, hold onto the phone and leave your gf at the food court.

murd0c 04-15-2015 07:15 AM

is your GF 12? Call apple and give them the serial number. Tell them you want to find the original owner and they might be able to help

BorLorBao 04-15-2015 07:18 AM

The owner of the phone hasn't tried calling at all?

6o4__boi 04-15-2015 07:22 AM

give it to me, i'll find the owner for you

:troll:

just hang onto it until they call. If they haven't called after a few days, question the mental capabilities of the owner. They're probably too stupid to have a phone.

underscore 04-15-2015 07:25 AM

Pop the sim and check the provider, then either call up or go to one of their stores.

Mr.HappySilp 04-15-2015 07:39 AM

return it to apple store or even drop it off at the police station.
Good for you though! If it was me I would just left at mall customer service desk or do a drop/pressure on it.

EmperorIS 04-15-2015 07:56 AM

See if it will blend.

iamed 04-15-2015 08:01 AM

surprised the owner hasnt tried calling it yet

mr_chin 04-15-2015 08:01 AM

Make sure it's not real gold.

dachinesedude 04-15-2015 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8624230)
or even drop it off at the police station.

lol they're not the lost and found for the city brah FailFish

ZN6 04-15-2015 08:20 AM

Maybe pull out the sim and find out who the carrier is to start with? then go to said carrier and they can check the sim to identify the the phone number and owner?

I think that would be going above and beyond but at least it would return it to it's owner quicker and easier.

Maybe they haven't called because they had a lost and found replacement plan or something?

Edit: underscore already said what I just said. I didn't go through the entire thread.

Mikoyan 04-15-2015 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZN6 (Post 8624246)
Maybe pull out the sim and find out who the carrier is to start with? then go to said carrier and they can check the sim to identify the the phone number and owner?

I think that would be going above and beyond but at least it would return it to it's owner quicker and easier.

Maybe they haven't called because they had a lost and found replacement plan or something?

Edit: underscore already said what I just said. I didn't go through the entire thread.

TLDR: If you lose your phone, hold off on activating a new SIM and/or wiping it as long as you can.

Contact the carrier, then Apple. There's a chance the carrier might not be able to pull the number. It depends on how the carrier's inventory system is set up. Apple should be able to contact the owner, since Apple collects so much info when an iPhone activates.

I went through this with Bell before, when my parents found a Note3. They forgot about the phone for a week before they handed it to me to deal with. By then, the owner had remote wiped it via Device Manager, and the missed calls/sms only had names, SIM didn't have contacts on it (not unexpected) and it was blacklisted.

When I contacted Bell, they couldn't pull any details from the IMEI/IMSI as the owner had probably activated a new sim/backup phone. I had them look up the IMEI, and he confirmed it was flagged lost, but still couldn't find the owner. There was no hit on the probable name of the owner I was able to find on the device.

I suspect this is an issue with Bell due to their system being set up originally to handle CDMA, when the ESN would link to an account even after the fact, not sure about the other carriers though. Rogers shouldn't have this issue I think, they've been using SIMs since forever.

Tried a social media search under the names I had and, nothing. If the guy hadn't remote wiped it, I probably could have returned it. Now I have Note 3 I use as a wifi tablet.

Manic! 04-15-2015 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BorLorBao (Post 8624220)
The owner of the phone hasn't tried calling at all?

Would it matter it's pass locked.

No idea why people pass lock there phones.

GC8 04-15-2015 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8624443)

You do not need to unlock the phone to answer a call.. 99.9% of the time

about the passcode thing.. i dunno how about you but how do you feel about me looking through your phone?

I think most people like some sort of privacy in life

The_AK 04-15-2015 01:49 PM

gonna say this because a lot of others are saying it:

can't believe owner hasnt tried calling their own phone yet

Manic! 04-15-2015 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 8624445)
You do not need to unlock the phone to answer a call.. 99.9% of the time

about the passcode thing.. i dunno how about you but how do you feel about me looking through your phone?

I think most people like some sort of privacy in life

No one wants to want to see nude pictures of you.

Someone left a Samsung phone behind at our store and I could not answer the phone because it was locked. I could be different for Iphones.

jeedee 04-15-2015 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8624443)

You can still answer the phone even if the phone is passlocked..........

People passlock their phones so other people dont' go thru their shit/incase the phone gets stolen someone won't be able to use it cause of the passlock :derp:

corollagtSr5 04-15-2015 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8624226)
Pop the sim and check the provider, then either call up or go to one of their stores.

You can do this and pop the sim into a phone you own and see if there are any contacts saved to the SIM card.

underscore 04-15-2015 02:24 PM

^ be careful doing that though, I had one phone that for do a factory reset when a new sim was put in.

entrax 04-15-2015 02:25 PM

pro tip, i did this on an iPhone i found and successfully returned.

if there's a password, pressing the home button and holding still activates Siri.

then use Siri to "call ____". try different ones like call mom, call home, call dad, call work. call mom worked for me

i was able to speak to the mom and they came and got their phone back. (they were able to identify a sticker that was on the back of the phone to verify it was theirs, and of course they knew the password too)

i had a hitch though, the poor kid's sim card was prepaid, and it had no money on it. when "call mom" worked at first, it said, sorry, your account is at $0, please top up your shit etc.

so i borrowed a coworkers sim card (it was a Telus sim, and it was locked, so i had to use my coworkers Telus sim because i'm with Rogers). Then i used my coworker's line to "call mom".
EDIT: this was an iPhone 4. underscore ^ is correct. be careful, since this is an iPhone 6, if you change sims, it might reset, especially if that iCloud stuff is on.

MindBomber 04-15-2015 02:35 PM

Pics of gf?