REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-15-2015, 04:16 PM   #1
Meow

School me on 3 piece wheels

Specifically work wheels. I am looking to put together a semi aggressive set up for my 2011 g37s coupe, and I am leaning towards either work vs-xx or work meisters s1r or m1. What do I need to know about disk types to clear my bbk? And how does would I go about buying a less aggressive set up and getting them rebarreled? What are the differences between step lips and normal ones? I have been looking into prices of used wheels and they can be found for less than 50% of retail pricing, so I figured if I buy used and rebuild them to my liking it would cost less than factory ordering.

I am looking for a similar finish to this at the end.

So a dark gunmetal face, bronze barrels, and gold assembly bolts
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
A is regular face and clears most OEM brakes
T is for factory Brembo like Evo and STI
R is for after market BBK, 6 pots etc
O is if you have small enough brakes for a flatter/concave face. Get the most lip with this face.

I highly recommend you to do your research and do it right the first time. Work Wheels 3 piece from Japan come bolted, welded, and silicone sealed. Breaking them apart will cost you.

They also have plenty of custom colour barrels and bolts. Do it right the first time!
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I just ordered the Meister S1 3 piece from Japan. Just waiting for them to arrive. I ordered 18's though.

I bought these to go with them as well: (I ordered the right size)

Photoshop chop:

jdmfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Old School RS

Thanked 3,930 Times in 1,197 Posts
I'm not even a wheelfag and those are some GORGEOUS wheels, I have to say. And this coming from a track guy who finds any wheel beautiful that is 16lbs or lighter for a 17x9...

Sorry to not have anything else of value to add haha.

Mark
Old 04-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
As far as which disc you will need I would research on G35driver

I would custom order the exact color/specs you want instead of rebuilding them once you get them.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

If you email Work Wheels, they should know which disk will clear your factory brakes.
If you ever plan to upgrade to big brakes, I would just buy the R disk right off the bat to keep the options open.

Also, the S1R are welded 2 piece, so changing the barrels isn't exactly a simple task.

If you could find the 3piece wheels for cheap, then changing the barrels could be a option.
Suprarz666 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Careful, if you have nice wheels you'll get targeted and jacked in a hurry.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:29 AM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Exactly what Touring said... I been on the G forums for years, and literally spent a whole year researching my first set of wheels before I had the balls to order, if you want a generic setup, it's not much of a problem, but if you want something that fits perfectly you gotta look around the forums for details, find what others are posting and look at their specs.

I would refer you to RavSpec, RavSpec website doesn't look like much, but they are the biggest AUTHORIZED Work Wheel distributor in North America and have a strong presence on many forums especially the VQ ones for 350 and G35's. I got my second set of wheels through them, great guys, all you have to do is email them and the guy will basically answer any and all questions you may have for a perfect fit.
The wait will be a few months once you order since they custom make them in Japan, then ship them over, but it will be worth it in the end.

I got the same bronze setup btw, I used to have black wheels but wanted something different, I like these so much pretty sure it'll be last set of wheels I buy for this car, here's a quick pic of them

Last edited by G-spec; 04-16-2015 at 09:27 PM.
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2015, 07:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
[...]

[...]
Hopefully, that is not your car. The direction of the front passenger side drilled/slotted rotor is incorrect:

Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:35 AM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post
Hopefully, that is not your car. The direction of the front passenger side drilled/slotted rotor is incorrect:

That's not his vehicle as I know the owner, and no the rotors are not incorrect. The direction of the slots on the rotor have no bearing on which direction they point, it's all about the veins inside the rotor and if those are correct.

SO from that picture you cannot possibly determine that the rotors are incorrect. Read here to understand properly: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-...e-to-face.html

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2015, 07:35 AM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post

Am I the only one that sees that diagram the same as the photo he's quoting?

EDIT: NM Meme beat me to the punch.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #12

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
^ Dont think he would make a thread if he had already received wheels that fit
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Those bronze lipped Work's are fucking amazing looking!! Makes me want to find a car just to rock those.

Carry on.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:14 AM   #14
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
If you want to know what faces clear your BBK, make a phone call to Work Wheels in Cali. I did that and they confirmed fitment of face types right away. No waiting for emails.

Ended up having a set of S1Rs built for my STI with an A disk up front and it cleared fine. I also got bored and test fitted my rear O-disk which fit with a minimal spacer. Depends what you want.

ALSO! unlike most wheels, it doesnt matter on the offset for brake clearance. Pad height is NOT a factor.

and purchase your Works locally.. dont purchase through a US vendor.
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #15
Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
If you want to know what faces clear your BBK, make a phone call to Work Wheels in Cali. I did that and they confirmed fitment of face types right away. No waiting for emails.

Ended up having a set of S1Rs built for my STI with an A disk up front and it cleared fine. I also got bored and test fitted my rear O-disk which fit with a minimal spacer. Depends what you want.

ALSO! unlike most wheels, it doesnt matter on the offset for brake clearance. Pad height is NOT a factor.

and purchase your Works locally.. dont purchase through a US vendor.
Yea, I messaged ravspec and I'm looking at $4299usd + shipping and taxes. Might shop around, since I believe garage5 can order them as well. Just having a hard time trying to justify spending over $5000 on rims alone.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #16
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
You gotta pay to play. G5 or Drivehard seem to be the Work Wheels go-to dudes.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
Yea, I messaged ravspec and I'm looking at $4299usd + shipping and taxes. Might shop around, since I believe garage5 can order them as well. Just having a hard time trying to justify spending over $5000 on rims alone.
Ravspec charges more than any other vendor I know of online.. I never bother with them.

and FYI- my S1Rs were much cheaper than what Ravspec wanted and in CAD. S1 3 Piece was around the same price as well but I wanted particular offsets. BRAND NEW too. lol.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
^ Troll what were the specs on your S1R's though? price does depend on a few things as well like wheel width, or whether you get the 2 piece or 3 piece ones, I think they even have a 1 piece version if I recall correctly, not sure though. And I don't know about other forums, but from me being on the VQ Nissan/Infiniti forums since 2007, it's common knowledge among those members that RavSpec has unbeatable prices and no other vendors on those forums can compete with them. Since I believe they are the biggest Work distributor/seller for North America, and I would have assumed it's the same on other forums too but I don't know, I only know about them on the VQ forums.

And the shitty thing is too, right now the dollar difference sucks balls..
when I got mine and also my air suspension, I was lucky that the dollar was almost on par.
I don't know if our dollar strength will ever again be close to what it was before, and pretty much all of my friends are done with going shopping in the States and online purchasnig as well because of this reason.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #19

17x8? haha just kidding. Square set of 18x10.5+35 A disk/O disk with the basic feinheit silver finish.

Ravspec- definitely not for North America, but maybe USA? I'm not too sure their involvement with Work TBH. They're not even listed on Work Japans site as a USA distributor but instead lists Work Wheels in California. I know Ravspec has been around for a looong time too..

For Canada, Rev Competition on Bridgeport is the Canadian distributor, and AFAIK, all shops that do take orders for Work wheels get it through Rev first. I could be wrong.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:02 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Keeping 3 piece wheels clean is such a bitch. Also you can NEVER let anyone drive your car. They will curb it for sure. No doubts about it!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #21
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I got mine through Garage Five. I was more than happy with the price they gave me in Canadian dollars.
jdmfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #22
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Keeping 3 piece wheels clean is such a bitch.
This times 100. I cleaned mine yesterday, I hadn't even driven the car that much, and it took 30 minutes a wheel.

Most of the time I'm going to have to take them off to get them perfectly clean.

It's the exposed hardware that's a pain, I have to wipe down each bolt head individually.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote