REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
FYI: Stay clear of SW Marine Dr. & Ross St. this afternoon

PM of India and PM of Canada will be heading over to the Sikh temple on SW Marine Drive & Ross St this afternoon. At present there's a big group of protestors on the corner of Ross St. which be probably get bigger as the arrival of PM comes closure so just giving a heads up to anyone thinking of using Marine today.
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
So did they close the temple to the general public for his visit?
Old 04-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #3

Yes, all the people attending at the temple has been pre-screened and will be bused in. He's only staying for 30 minutes.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Harper is such a fucken tool... I can't wait until he gets voted out in Nov!!
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
For the unedumucated, what are they protesting?
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #6
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
Protest at the Ross Street Temple in South Vancouver | News1130

Quote:
Half the protesters are demonstrating against Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi over a number of human rights accusations that have surfaced in the last decades. Others are protesting against Stephen Harper for Bill C-51.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #7

It's also to do with riots in 2002, Modi was CM (Premier) of the state of Gujarat. I believe Modi was banned from the US up until he became PM of India.

2002 Gujarat riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Live blog from the temple for anyone interested;

http://www.jakara.org/modi
Old 04-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #8
I subscribe to Revscene

was driving home from work going north bound on knight st. bridge.
police blocked off bridge southbound. all the exits and ramps
so they can make way for the PM's
it was insane lol
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #9

They'll be more closures because there's a dinner for the PM at the Fairmont waterfront tonight at 7:45pm.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2015, 07:19 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Soooooooooooooo mainstream
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #11
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
They'll be more closures because there's a dinner for the PM at the Fairmont waterfront tonight at 7:45pm.

Are you part of Harper's security detail or something?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:30 PM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
I'm sitting here trying to make sense of all of this and logically there is only one solution. BOYCOTT that temple. If the mass public/community is outraged by the notion that the temple executives/board would invite PM Modi to the temple, then boycott that temple until changes to the board are made. If you are being denied entry into a local temple, then certainly boycott that temple until changes are made. The temple is most likely considered private property and must be operating as a business. Hate to put it this way, but with no worshippers attending the temple, business won't be thriving and they will really have no choice but to make changes to the way they operate. But silly protests aren't going to do anything other than put you in the media and make many people look like fools, publicly.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:36 PM   #13
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
They passed me on the 91 going north. During rush hour... why do they schedule these things during rush hour is so stupid, just ruining everyone else commute. They had stopped all traffic ahead of them for miles. no merging in and out of the highway while traffic building up behind them.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2015, 12:12 AM   #14
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
They passed me on the 91 going north. During rush hour... why do they schedule these things during rush hour is so stupid, just ruining everyone else commute. They had stopped all traffic ahead of them for miles. no merging in and out of the highway while traffic building up behind them.
Yup shut down the alex fraser south bound at 5pm for atleast 20 min, who the hell schedules this shit. I was beyond pissed haha!!
driver 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:33 AM   #15
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Large convoy was going south on burrard bridge at around 10pm.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
I'm sitting here trying to make sense of all of this and logically there is only one solution. BOYCOTT that temple. If the mass public/community is outraged by the notion that the temple executives/board would invite PM Modi to the temple, then boycott that temple until changes to the board are made. If you are being denied entry into a local temple, then certainly boycott that temple until changes are made. The temple is most likely considered private property and must be operating as a business. Hate to put it this way, but with no worshippers attending the temple, business won't be thriving and they will really have no choice but to make changes to the way they operate. But silly protests aren't going to do anything other than put you in the media and make many people look like fools, publicly.
+1.

Going a bit off topic but had to post this video because it shows the idiots who run that temple and the idiot "community" leaders who jump from supporting Liberals to Conservatives because it's the flavor of the month. And as for the President of the Ross St. temple, this is the same guy and committee which ran up the debt in to the millions and than come along after they're re-elected and brag to people they've slashed that debt. Ask yourself where that money went because the temple still looks the same as it did 20+ years ago, all they've done is slap some paint and changed the carpets.

The Punjabi community has real issues which no Punjabi leader wants to address. Only good thing these leaders are good for is photo ops and standing for office so they can pocket money they raise for their campaigns.

This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2015, 12:46 AM   #17
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Rant:

Was driving on Marine west bound, they keep pressing the light to cross the street holding these signs that I can't even read. Some just go back and forth staring at their iPads almost getting run over. While others step onto the road with cars zipping by to take group photos.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote