REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

SCAMMER not paying up!

Greetings fellow members,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this message.
-I have searched this forum thoroughly and have found many excellent advices from you guys about dealing with SCAMMERS
-hoping your expertise can shed some light on my issue at hand.

-My parents rented out their house in Surrey to an 80 year old lady, starting March 1st 2015

-Contracts signed and agreed by both parties

-2 weeks ago, the received cheque (rental payment for March) bounced.

-Parents checked up on the cheque received for the rental DEPOSIT, it bounced as well.

-Parents issued a notice to the tenant for her to pay within 5 days.

-5 days later, the tenant tells my parents she needs more time

-->parents issued her an eviction notice on the spot

-Tenant owes the Deposit and the rental payments for March and April.

-Tenant has NOT registered with the Fortis/BC HYDRO to make payments, did not pay for water/electricity/heating all this time

-Parents wants the tenant out immediately

-from what parents now know and understand, the tenant is experienced with The RTO rules and is using it to scamming people.
Advertisement
Gallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Telling her to leave is not an eviction notice.
If she knows how it work, she is well aware that the actually evict someone from your property can take a very long time. A friend of mine went through this with a place she owned.

Took her 6 months and loads of paperwork to get her formally evicted from the residence.

Best of luck but if she has done this before your in for a crazy ride

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #3

If your parents have not already, fill this out and serve her with it.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/DownloadAs...8C2C1F0A941D9B

Old 04-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Sounds like you got hit by a squatter.. every landlord's worst nightmare.

They know how to play the game, and they just jump from place to place for a few months here and there, knowing it takes time for the landlords to get all the legal work done to evict them. Not to mention you can't legally cut off their power, etc.

My uncle's been hit by one of these guys before too, and it's just a big headache. They didn't get him out for 6+ months.

Hope you can get this resolved soon.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2015, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Telling her to leave is not an eviction notice.
If she knows how it work, she is well aware that the actually evict someone from your property can take a very long time. A friend of mine went through this with a place she owned.

Took her 6 months and loads of paperwork to get her formally evicted from the residence.

Best of luck but if she has done this before your in for a crazy ride
Quote:
If your parents have not already, fill this out and serve her with it.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/DownloadAs...8C2C1F0A941D9B
Hello BoostedBB6,

My parents gave her an eviction form. From my understanding, the police may not get involved, neither would any lawyers.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
Sounds like you got hit by a squatter.. every landlord's worst nightmare.

They know how to play the game, and they just jump from place to place for a few months here and there, knowing it takes time for the landlords to get all the legal work done to evict them. Not to mention you can't legally cut off their power, etc.

My uncle's been hit by one of these guys before too, and it's just a big headache. They didn't get him out for 6+ months.

Hope you can get this resolved soon.
Wow, my thoughts was cut off hydro and power. Even though a contract has been signed, no payments were received since all the cheques bounced. Land lords really has the short end of the stick in tenancy laws.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
From my understanding, the police may not get involved, neither would any lawyers.
Police wouldn't get involved because "technically" she's not breaking any rules. If she's not violent, destructive, noisy, etc, they would just tell you to take it up with the RTO.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 04-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #8

If they did not use that form for this situation it would be easy for her to keep living there as the proper forms were not filled out.

That is the one they need to use. She has till 1pm on the date on the notice to leave. If she does not leave (which if she is a squatter she wont) then you need to get legal action involved. This can take a long time to do and can/will result in her being removed by Police if necessary.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
PJ

Quote:
Wow, my thoughts was cut off hydro and power. Even though a contract has been signed, no payments were received since all the cheques bounced. Land lords really has the short end of the stick in tenancy laws.
Yeah it's a really unfortunate situation. Basically as soon as you make the place inhabitable (cut off their hydro, change the locks, etc), you're actually doing more harm than good to your case. And if she knows the rules as well as you can only assume she does, then she can actually use that to fight back in court.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 04-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #10

Your parents will most likely have to file a direct request and get all there paperwork done. and spend a considerable amount of time fighting if shes experianced.

Direct Request - Dispute Resolution

This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
In before someone recommends emailing her dean....

Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2015, 06:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
Yeah it's a really unfortunate situation. Basically as soon as you make the place inhabitable (cut off their hydro, change the locks, etc), you're actually doing more harm than good to your case. And if she knows the rules as well as you can only assume she does, then she can actually use that to fight back in court.
Yea, my parents has never dealt with this kind of thing before, they just want the scammer tenant to get out asap. Like what kind of world are we living in? living at someone's place without paying rent; while being PROTECTED by the law for doing so....

Quote:
Your parents will most likely have to file a direct request and get all there paperwork done. and spend a considerable amount of time fighting if shes experianced.

Direct Request - Dispute Resolution
I will follow through with the link that you have provided asap, thankyou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
In before someone recommends emailing her dean....

Spoiler!
Well, considering the old lady scammer is 80 years old...I wouldn't think her dean would even be alive right now..
Old 04-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:

-Tenant has NOT registered with the Fortis/BC HYDRO to make payments, did not pay for water/electricity/heating all this time
Do you know who is registered at Fortis/BC Hydro at that address at this moment?

If it is still under your parents name, can you call Fortis and ask them to cut service because you aren't living there at the moment? I'm assuming that your contract doesn't include providing utilities right?

Last edited by trd2343; 04-19-2015 at 06:41 PM.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by reamemiya View Post
Do you know who is registered at Fortis/BC Hydro at that address at this moment?

If it is still under your parents name, can you call Fortis and ask them to cut service because you aren't living there at the moment? I'm assuming that your contract doesn't include providing utilities right?
Called up Fortis and the service is still registered under my parent's name. So this is another surefire sign that the scammer tenant has no intentions to pay for anything right from the get-go.

I am not sure if Fortis can cut the power to the house from their end, but I will call in and try asking.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #15
2-Wheelin' Mod

Question - and not trying to rub it in now - but did you parents check previous rental references for this tenant? If I'm about to let somebody reside in a piece of property that I own it's something I would be all over.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post
Question - and not trying to rub it in now - but did you parents check previous rental references for this tenant? If I'm about to let somebody reside in a piece of property that I own it's something I would be all over.
Did not do the reference or the credit check.

Apparently, my parents are really naive and trusting on people's words. At the time, the scammer tenant produced papers, stating that she has money in her bank, has a good annual income and has a pension plan.

In retrospect, those papers could have easily been forged. The scammer had her accomplices (all middle aged ladies) come with her to view the house and act all interested. References could have been faked too. What I think is happening is that the scammer knows the rules inside and out and chooses not to make payments even though she has the funds to do so.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #17
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
first thing get your parents to cut off the hydro and gas since its not in the contract. Then as everyone else said you are kinds fucked for now
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2015, 07:02 PM   #18
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Well, considering the old lady scammer is 80 years old...I wouldn't think her dean would even be alive right now..
you must be new here...

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #19
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post
Just out of curiousity, what's stopping them from giving you fake references (ie: a friend of theirs to lie for them saying they're good renters)?
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
Just out of curiousity, what's stopping them from giving you fake references (ie: a friend of theirs to lie for them saying they're good renters)?
Yup, they could have easily have friends lie for them. And also, doing a credit check is important for any landlord, but in this case... I believe her credit check would clear and everything would look legit. Problem is that she's playing with the rules and not paying up the rent.

She gave my parents bs excuses saying oh she used the wrong account/bank.

Update: my dad saw a Moving company truck outside the house, and the guy in the truck approached my dad. Turned out that the old lady scammer got the moving company to move her stuff into the house, and paid them with a Cheque that ALSO bounced..
Old 04-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #21
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
have you tried googling her name to see if anything came up about being a scammer?
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Some peoples grandmas
sdubfid is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2015, 07:45 PM   #23
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Have RS meet at grandmas

/thread

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #24
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Stop payin for hydro at that address, just let the amount go into over due. I believe within 90 days of non payment hydro will actually go n cut power, same with gas, they'll lock up the main line at the meter. She "should" leave by then, that's when u pay up the overdue charges before being sent to collections. Technically the rent doesn't include hydro or gas so she should be payin for it, n I highly doubt she'll pay for the overdue charges just to get it reconnected.

3months vs 6months u choose
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2015, 08:04 PM   #25

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Just a little more information please:

1) What was the tenancy period? Month to month? A year? 6 months?

2) Have you documented the written notices that you've given them? Notice to pay or vacate, notice to vacate, etc.

You need to get on with a dispute resolution as soon as possible. The sooner you do it, the sooner you will be able to get your Order of Possession.

The key for you with this dispute resolution will be to ensure that you've given proper notice and have given them the statutory time frame to act on the notice.

You might want to use the Proof of Service form found on the BC Residential Tenancy website.