REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Buying a Gift Card with Large Amount

Im gonna meet someone to buy a a gift card/store credit for a relatively large amount, roughly $2500 or so. What are some precautions I should take to know that I dont get screwed over? Besides from the usual verify the balance at the cashier? Thanks!
Advertisement
und3f3at3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by und3f3at3d View Post
Im gonna meet someone to buy a a gift card/store credit for a relatively large amount, roughly $2500 or so. What are some precautions I should take to know that I dont get screwed over? Besides from the usual verify the balance at the cashier? Thanks!
There was a big scam awhile ago where people would buy gift cards with stolen credit cards, then sell them on CL. Then when the transaction was found to be fraudulent the gift card would be cancelled.

I'd be very careful doing something like this, there are many ways you can get duped.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
Make sure the PIN isn't scratched off on the back of the GC. Or you can get them to transfer the amount to a brand new GC right at the till.. that should be pretty safe.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
transfer it to store credit after verifying that its real
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Curious, which store' GC are you buying?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
ONLY buy the gift card at the store and make sure the amount is confirmed in store by customer service. If not, DO NOT BUY. I would also be prepared to make my purchase then and there that way nothing can go wrong down the road after you buy the gift card.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
ONLY buy the gift card at the store and make sure the amount is confirmed in store by customer service. If not, DO NOT BUY. I would also be prepared to make my purchase then and there that way nothing can go wrong down the road after you buy the gift card.
+1
I would go as far as buying something completely random and then go back to the store a couple of days later to return and get the credit on a "fresh giftcard"

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
sounds like a scam already...
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
If you do the things suggested above. You should be good to go.
I suggest telling the seller you will be doing these things said above. So that if seller declines, then you know it's a scam right away and you can save your time by not meeting up.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
sounds like a scam already...
What sounds like a scam? Lol that he's buying a gift card?
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #11
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,574 Times in 4,294 Posts
the big question is where did you find this guy thats selling the gift card? CL, internet a friend?
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:08 PM   #12
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Buy whatever you're buying with them there using the gift card right away. Or transfer the gift card to a new one.
van19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #13
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingies View Post
What sounds like a scam? Lol that he's buying a gift card?
buying a $2500 gift card 2nd hand
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #14
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,615 Times in 574 Posts
those gift cards are usually purchased using stolen credit card info and then flipped to people like you who exchange legitimately earned cash.

i would be hesitant to purchase that large of an amount on a gc especially if it seems to be "too good to be true".

update us here if you do go through with the purchase.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #15
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I will meet him tomorrow, its a Lowe's GC. He said he got it when he had leftovers from his renovation project and they issued store credit for like 2932.43. Some odd number

I'll probably gather everything I need to buy and wait on standby besides the cashier or self cehckout hahah
und3f3at3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #16
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
^ That doesn't sound too suspicious. I used to work returns at Rona long long time ago and it happens quite often. Although the amount is fairly large.

If you don't plan on buying everything then and there, you can try asking him to provide a receipt for the GC. If what he's saying is true, he might have a receipt showing the returned items from his renovation and the store issuing him GC. That way you can tell the GC wasn't bought with a credit card or possibly a stolen credit card.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #17
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
^ That doesn't sound too suspicious. I used to work returns at Rona long long time ago and it happens quite often. Although the amount is fairly large.

If you don't plan on buying everything then and there, you can try asking him to provide a receipt for the GC. If what he's saying is true, he might have a receipt showing the returned items from his renovation and the store issuing him GC. That way you can tell the GC wasn't bought with a credit card or possibly a stolen credit card.
Doesn't sound suspicious. really?

What the fuck could he have bought 2900 dollars worth of that he didn't need. You can't possibly have bought 2900 dollars worth of extra lumber unless you are a complete and utter idiot.

Tiles? Grout? 10 extra toilets? 6 extra kitchen faucets?

Returning 2900 dollars worth of stuff to Lowes is like impossible unless he bought like appliances...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #18
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
The only situation where I would even consider doing this is from someone I 100% completely trust, and I know where it came from (ie they weren't scammed themselves and are unwittingly passing it on). It is so unbelievably scammy to sell gift cards second hand.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:35 PM   #19
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Doesn't sound suspicious. really?

What the fuck could he have bought 2900 dollars worth of that he didn't need. You can't possibly have bought 2900 dollars worth of extra lumber unless you are a complete and utter idiot.

Tiles? Grout? 10 extra toilets? 6 extra kitchen faucets?

Returning 2900 dollars worth of stuff to Lowes is like impossible unless he bought like appliances...

I meant the story sounding reasonable, in terms of having stuff to return due to renovations. I did say the amount was fairly large and said he can double check the validity of the seller's story by checking receipts of returned items and the store issuing a GC for the returned items.

A person doing a renovation can return a large priced item(s) that they did not want because they changed their mind through out the renovation. You even said it yourself.. appliances. These stores do carry a lot of other expensive items and it's not that unusual.

It's also pretty common for people doing renos to return items all at once if possible rather than doing multiple short trips to return 1 or 2 items. So it is possible that it can add up with expensive items.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:37 PM   #20
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,209 Times in 1,394 Posts
I'd get a copy of his driver's license to be safe.

$2500 ain't nothing to joke about.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote