REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Has anyone tried a Sodastream soda maker? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703152-has-anyone-tried-sodastream-soda-maker.html)

parm104 04-30-2015 05:16 PM

Has anyone tried a Sodastream soda maker?

I'm currently in the market for a carbonated beverage maker. Sodastream appears to be the brand to go for and I've narrowed down my model choice after some research.

Looking forward to trying some new flavours, saving some money and hopefully drinking healthier drinks than coke and pepsi.

Has anyone owned or used a Sodastream before? If yes, which one did you purchase and would you recommend getting one?

Thanks!

StylinRed 04-30-2015 05:28 PM

wouldn't support them due to the human rights issues raised by B'Tselem and Oxfam (their factory is built on land seized from Bedouin tribes, and they utilize Palestinian labour at below market rates)

but the product has been around since the 1950's for home use, under different ownership then, so i imagine it does what it says rather well

320icar 04-30-2015 05:35 PM

Worth the watch.

Not cheaper, not healthier. Not as good. Drink water instead

murd0c 04-30-2015 06:00 PM

The GF has it and she loves it. She loves soda water and it works perfect and saves her the hassle of always going to the store. I haven't tried any of the flavour mixes yet but will be soon.

Yes I would recommend getting one and I found the best place is Home Outfitters in the clearance section right now on sale for $99.99. One thing it takes a bit of time to get used to with home much carbonation you like in a drink but once you figure that out its awesome

Soundy 04-30-2015 06:03 PM

Wow, someone put a lot of effort into a video just to say "this thing sucks". :suspicious:

We have one of these, it's actually pretty slick. You're also not limited to their syrups - mix in fruit juice or something if you prefer.

StylinRed 04-30-2015 06:14 PM

for the price of one it'd probably be cheaper to buy one of those DIY beer machines that adds the c02 to your beer bottle/keg

murd0c 04-30-2015 06:18 PM

the decent machine for $99 and refills cost $35 and they make 60 litres. For the hassle of nothing having to go to the store and being able to make it how you want it awesome. Especially if you test it out with syrup and vodka/rum

Dragon-88 04-30-2015 06:58 PM

I bought the CO2 adapter online. So I just use a clean paintball co2 canister and get it refilled for like $5.

I don't really use mine anymore as I've grown accustom to just drinking cold water. It does makes carbonated drinks easier, I wouldn't necessarily say its healthier, I mean Coke Zero has no calories, but is it good for you?

I never bought any of the mixes, I typically just drank the water itself, or added 1/4 to 1/3 of a can of frozen orange juice and it makes a nice light refreshing drink. It doesn't taste watered down as the carbonation makes it better.

jeedee 04-30-2015 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parm104 (Post 8631584)
saving some money and hopefully drinking healthier drinks than coke and pepsi.

why not just drink water :derp:

it'll save you money and its definitely healthier :lol

Drink a gallon of water a day for a week and you'll never crave pop

srs

SkinnyPupp 04-30-2015 07:09 PM

lol @ this being healthier than coke and pepsi

LenovoTurbo 04-30-2015 07:12 PM

Just don't try to make sparkling wine.

Vansterdam 04-30-2015 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 8631637)
I bought the CO2 adapter online. So I just use a clean paintball co2 canister and get it refilled for like $5.

'

this.

Hondaracer 04-30-2015 07:51 PM

my dad had it because he drinks a shit load of club soda, i drink quite a bit too

honestly, it was getting to the point where you were changing cartridges once a week, if the bottle isnt aligned properly you lose a shit tone of Co2 on a single press etc.

If you have any sort of storage id probably just buy flats of whatever you want to drink. for the $100 price tag you can get like 12 flats of club soda almost when they are on sale.

parm104 04-30-2015 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8631643)
lol @ this being healthier than coke and pepsi

How is carbonated water not healthier than the grocery store soda/pop I would buy?

SkinnyPupp 04-30-2015 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parm104 (Post 8631736)
How is carbonated water not healthier than the grocery store soda/pop I would buy?

Nothing until you add the ingredients that actually make it a comparable drink to coke/pepsi.

If you're going to compare plain soda water from this machine, compare it to plain soda water, not coke or pepsi

Zheff 04-30-2015 10:40 PM

Make carbonated water with Sodastream, then add a spoonful of the Korean lemon tangerine citrus tea!!! Delicious!!

Frenchie 04-30-2015 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 8631637)

I don't really use mine anymore as I've grown accustom to just drinking cold water. It does makes carbonated drinks easier, I wouldn't necessarily say its healthier, I mean Coke Zero has no calories, but is it good for you?

I never bought any of the mixes, I typically just drank the water itself, or added 1/4 to 1/3 of a can of frozen orange juice and it makes a nice light refreshing drink. It doesn't taste watered down as the carbonation makes it better.

Where do you get your CO2 canister refilled?

AAnthony 05-01-2015 12:29 AM

I use mine for sparkling water and it's great. It allows me to add as much gas as I want, which means you get much larger bubbles than San Pellegrino or other sparkling waters.

I bought this Kool-aid syrup for it once to make my own pop and it was garbage, I tried it once then threw it away. It's such a thick syrup, and if anything it turns you off to pop because you realize how much sugar there actually is.

flameboy54 05-01-2015 07:50 AM

I got a Primo Flavorstation from across the border after it was discontinued for cheap, like $30 or something. Cuisinart has since taken it over and rebranded it.

I primarily use it to mix with juice - cran, pineapple, orange - just to cut down my sugar intake. Love it. The nice thing is that the tank is a standard 20oz'er that the paintball guys use they can be refilled instead of working on an exchange program like Sodastream.

With that said, I used to get my tank filled at Camouflage in downtown but they since got rid of their CO2 tank. Anywhere suggestions where I can CO2 filled??

gars 05-01-2015 08:49 AM

I have one, use it almost everyday. I mostly use it for soda water because even though I love pop, I realized that it's just the cold fizzy water I crave.

I think of the $80 (when it's on sale) for the machine is a sunk cost, the $20 it costs to get the canister exchanged is equivalent to 164 cans of soda so it's cheaper.

Dragon-88 05-01-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 8631749)
Where do you get your CO2 canister refilled?

Most paintball shops have this. But if your planning on refilling the Soda stream cartridge it wont work. The valve on them only go one way. So no one will be able to refill. There's a hack online to do it. But I don't trust it.

Sellution SodaStream CO2 Tank Paintball Canister Refill Adapter C02 Conversion | eBay

Paintball Gear Canada - 365 Day Returns & Free Shipping
Paintball Gear in Canada from the World's Largest Paintball Store
Army Surplus Vancouver, Military Surplus Canada | Gorilla Surplus

heleu 05-01-2015 09:46 AM

My friend has one, and it seems pretty cool. But as everyone has said, the CO2 refill costs are high.

Unless you are continuously drinking carbonated water, it's just cheaper to buy club soda on sale. We go through a 2L club soda bottle a week, so it just wasn't worth it.

blkgsr 05-01-2015 01:46 PM

i've got one in brand new condition...you want to buy it?

my wife put it on our wedding registry and has used it twice...

murd0c 05-01-2015 01:48 PM

How much? I could use one for my house.

blkgsr 05-02-2015 03:52 PM

uh all packed away now....