REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Importing motor from the US?

Trying to do a bit of research here and not finding as much info as I'd like. Wondering if any of you have had any experiences with bringing a motor up from the states. The process, any special requirements, etc.

Long story short, cam chain on my A4 decided to explode, and take out the housing and cause all sorts of fun, so I'm trying to source a decent condition used motor. Not much in Canada, but a ton of them down in the states.
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
really?.. some reason im afraid of taking shits after ghost movies.. i always think about what if a ghost's hand came out of the toilet and grabbed my nuts or stuck its hand in my ass -___________-.... i mean if it came outa the mirror id have reaction time to run but the toilets.. thats a pretty good blind spot to sneak up on people from -_____- ...
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
Zyx
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

just ship it on a crate with a private company

ive brought up a few cars, but no motors yet..
or just grab a truck and bring it up yourself
I invent internet virals... STFU was one and now Pizza cat.
Zyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Should have no problem getting it shipped on a pallet/crate. Get it shipped some where across the line, most have fork lifts. Find some one with a truck, pay a bit of tax at the border and waaaaaalaaaa
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Importing motor from the US?

Get it shipped to the border and then pick up in a truck. it'll save you a shit ton in shipping cost. you'll have to pay taxes at the border but most companies will right down the price quite a bit for Canadian customers
BrownBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
I think you can fit a V8 in there.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I think you can fit a V8 in there.
Lol I was actually curious to see what an S4 swap would entail. Turns out its essentially everything from the S4 that needs to be swapped over and it would be much cheaper to just BUY an S4. Sigh.

Quote:
really?.. some reason im afraid of taking shits after ghost movies.. i always think about what if a ghost's hand came out of the toilet and grabbed my nuts or stuck its hand in my ass -___________-.... i mean if it came outa the mirror id have reaction time to run but the toilets.. thats a pretty good blind spot to sneak up on people from -_____- ...
Old 05-10-2015, 06:34 AM   #7
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
not saying that this one is, but is there a way to check if the engine did not come from a stolen vehicle?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
It is easy to import a motor. I imported more than a few V12s. Shipping can be a pain in the ass for a shipper with no experience. (drain the fluids, get a pallet etc)

If you are bringing it over yourself, I suggest use a van like a sprinter rather than a truck. It makes loading and unloading much easier since it is lower. Also bring bring a cherry picker with you just in case.

If you are doing it commercial, you can get it cleared at the truck border yourself (before the truck gets to the border and save a few hundred $ in brokerage).

However just in case, copy down the VIN on the engine block and run it through the relevant search engines to make sure it is not stolen. However most of the time the border agents don't care.

Remember make sure it is the engine you want ie with the right compressin numbers etc. before you buy.. it costs too much to return!
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #9

Thanks for the info so far. I'd likely be buying it off of a wrecker through car-part.com , and shipping it to the border near me to pick up and bring over myself.

Quote:
Old 05-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #10
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
just make sure on the manifest for border, you claim the motor as a "longblock"
They will hassle you if they see the description being a complete engine assembly due to emission standards and restrictions
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Throw it in the gutter, buy an E36 and put a 302 + T5 in there

Big repair bills? Never again!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I'd avoid the 4.2 Audi V8, esp the BBK V8 found in the S4's.

Consuming 5L of oil per 1200kms. Can't sleeve or bore the motor because of stupid design..

I'll see you at the border though when my engine shows up

Its probably my fault.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: