REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 05-14-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Anyone Been Harassed by Statistics Canada?

Anyone here ever been harassed by Statistics Canada? A good friend is being harassed every couple of days to answer a voluntary survey. He keeps telling him he isn't interested but a couple of days later he's back asking him to answer the survey again. WTF? Anyone else have to deal with these idiots? If you have what did you do to get them to stop bothering you?
Advertisement
bLUEsTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Could it possibly be a scam? Tell him to call a Statistics Canada office to see wassup
Old 05-14-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
I think most smartphones nowadays have a block number option. I know the iphone does and it works wonders.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinn3r View Post
Could it possibly be a scam? Tell him to call a Statistics Canada office to see wassup
He did and it's legit.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
I think most smartphones nowadays have a block number option. I know the iphone does and it works wonders.
The problem is they don't phone, they just keep coming to his door even after he's told them he's not interested. It's like they're zombies or something. WTF?
Old 05-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Sounds like he may have been selected for the National Household Survey, the replacement for the previously mandatory long form census.

They use the info for economic/social/etc planning.

I know your friend doesn't want to bother, but collection of that info is pretty important, even more so now since it's voluntary. Anyone with any statistics knowledge knows what a mess Harper caused when he cancelled the old mandatory long form census.

It used to be 1 in 5 households had to answer, but now due to the way lower response rate to the voluntary NHS, they have to approach 1 in 3 households now. And they can't even compare the some of the new data with the pre 2011 data since the population samples have changed, and it even costs more to get the data too.

Great fix to an non existent problem.

Anyways that's probably why they're pressing your friend so hard.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bLUEsTEEL View Post
The problem is they don't phone, they just keep coming to his door even after he's told them he's not interested. It's like they're zombies or something. WTF?
oh thats fucked then. is it like the same guy
Old 05-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
i usually go with something like this.

survey official: hi, we need 10mins of your time to do this survey
me: am i getting paid
SO: no, this will only take 10mins.
me: if you can answer this question, i will complete your survey: you get paid by [name agency] to come out and get people to volunteer their time for the survey. Would you volunteer your time or do this for free? likely not right? what makes you think I'm any different from you?
SO:.............
me: please don't bother me again, unless you get approval from your superiors to pay me in cash. I'll take $20 at the least.
SO:............
me: have a good day.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-14-2015, 10:41 PM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
oh thats fucked then. is it like the same guy
Yeah, it's the same idiot!
Old 05-14-2015, 10:44 PM   #10
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post

me: if you can answer this question, i will complete your survey: you get paid by [name agency] to come out and get people to volunteer their time for the survey. Would you volunteer your time or do this for free? likely not right? what makes you think I'm any different from you?
me: please don't bother me again, unless you get approval from your superiors to pay me in cash. I'll take $20 at the least.
Ha! That's a good one! Think it might work too! I've heard these guys can't stand having people waste their time.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #11
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
Sounds like he may have been selected for the National Household Survey, the replacement for the previously mandatory long form census.

They use the info for economic/social/etc planning.

I know your friend doesn't want to bother, but collection of that info is pretty important, even more so now since it's voluntary. Anyone with any statistics knowledge knows what a mess Harper caused when he cancelled the old mandatory long form census.

It used to be 1 in 5 households had to answer, but now due to the way lower response rate to the voluntary NHS, they have to approach 1 in 3 households now. And they can't even compare the some of the new data with the pre 2011 data since the population samples have changed, and it even costs more to get the data too.

Great fix to an non existent problem.

Anyways that's probably why they're pressing your friend so hard.
It wouldn't be a surprise if they get a commission for each person they can get to do this stupid survey!
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-14-2015, 11:29 PM   #12
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
It wouldn't be a surprise if they get a commission for each person they can get to do this stupid survey!
having worked at census before i can assure that this is absurd. the easiest way to get rid of the guy is to just do the survey. it'll take maybe 5-10 minutes in most cases.

they don't ask anything actually about you or your name. usually stuff like how many people in household, any kids, stuff like that. even if you had 10 illegal tenants and told them that they don't care. it's just to get an idea for things like schools in the area if there are lots of kids etc.

when people complain that there isn't enough of a service in their area these surveys help them identify that. not saying it's a fix but it's supposed to be a start.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:03 AM   #13
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
having worked at census before i can assure that this is absurd. the easiest way to get rid of the guy is to just do the survey. it'll take maybe 5-10 minutes in most cases.

they don't ask anything actually about you or your name. usually stuff like how many people in household, any kids, stuff like that. even if you had 10 illegal tenants and told them that they don't care. it's just to get an idea for things like schools in the area if there are lots of kids etc.

when people complain that there isn't enough of a service in their area these surveys help them identify that. not saying it's a fix but it's supposed to be a start.
Only problem is that once you start they'll just come back again for another survey.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-15-2015, 02:58 AM   #14
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,225 Times in 223 Posts
Quote:
Only problem is that once you start they'll just come back again for another survey.
I had family dealt with these surveys and they only take like 15 minutes out of your or your buddy's time. LITERALLY 15 minutes and you will be on your merry way and they leave you alone. Would you rather complete a 15 minute survey or be hassled every other day for it?
toehook is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 03:14 AM   #15
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehook View Post
I had family dealt with these surveys and they only take like 15 minutes out of your or your buddy's time. LITERALLY 15 minutes and you will be on your merry way and they leave you alone. Would you rather complete a 15 minute survey or be hassled every other day for it?
Hopefully, they don't have to deal with more surveys later on or be chosen for one of those surveys that takes months to complete because they are now seen as being very accommodating.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Hopefully, they don't have to deal with more surveys later on or be chosen for one of those surveys that takes months to complete because they are now seen as being very accommodating.
This has nothing to do with the private survey companies that call you up all the time for other surveys.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #17
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
This has nothing to do with the private survey companies that call you up all the time for other surveys.
Their way of doing things sure makes them look like they are one of those companies.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Their way of doing things sure makes them look like they are one of those companies.
They must be getting a low response rate for your friend's area.

Which was why it was stupid for the Harper Government to make the changes in the first place. Previously 1 in 5 families were contacted and it was mandatory. They got a 98% response rate. Since the change, 65% response rate overall?, including some areas with a 0% response rate.

How are you supposed to do any kind of forecasting or planning with no data?

That said though, if it was a private survey company, I'd tell them to take a hike too. IF it was Stats Can, I'd happy answer their questions, because of what the data is used for.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:52 PM   #19
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
the only problem is you don't know what you're talking about. you're badly misinformed about statistics canada.

they don't keep records of the house or person. i can't explain that any simpler.

that means they won't be calling back once the surveys done. understand?
Old 05-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #20
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
They must be getting a low response rate for your friend's area.

Which was why it was stupid for the Harper Government to make the changes in the first place. Previously 1 in 5 families were contacted and it was mandatory. They got a 98% response rate. Since the change, 65% response rate overall?, including some areas with a 0% response rate.

How are you supposed to do any kind of forecasting or planning with no data?

That said though, if it was a private survey company, I'd tell them to take a hike too. IF it was Stats Can, I'd happy answer their questions, because of what the data is used for.
They should also respect a person's privacy though. If they don't want to participate then that should be respected. They shouldn't have to deal with continuous harassment.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #21
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
They should also respect a person's privacy though. If they don't want to participate then that should be respected. They shouldn't have to deal with continuous harassment.
If they need 1 out of 3 households to participate then effectively you or one of your neighbours either side needs to do it. Just take the 15 minutes and help improve the area you live in and be done with it, or don't complain if changes made near your home don't make sense.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #22
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
If they need 1 out of 3 households to participate then effectively you or one of your neighbours either side needs to do it. Just take the 15 minutes and help improve the area you live in and be done with it, or don't complain if changes made near your home don't make sense.
The survey has nothing to do with improving the area he lives in.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #23
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post

He called the police and they're now looking into it.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #24
I am Hook'd on RS

GoldenBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #25
I am Hook'd on RS

If nothing works just
cocojoe is offline   Reply With Quote