REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Lamborghini SUV confirmed (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703657-lamborghini-suv-confirmed.html)

Timpo 05-30-2015 08:06 AM

Lamborghini SUV confirmed

Lamborghini confirms entry into luxury SUV market, receives incentives to build cars in Italy
BY COLLEEN BARRY
Published May 29, 2015 - 4:42pm

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/d...8719756web.jpg
The CEO of Audi, Rupert Stadler, right, and Automobili Lamborghini President and Chief Executive Officer Stephan Winkelmann pose for photographers at Rome's Palazzo Chigi Government office, Wednesday, May 27, 2015. Lamborghini announced Wednesday it will produce a new SUV in Italy after receiving government incentives.(AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)

Super sports carmaker Lamborghini confirmed Wednesday it will enter the luxury SUV market and signed a deal to produce the new vehicle in Italy after receiving more than 80 million euros ($87 million) in government incentives.

Lamborghini CEO Stephan Winkelmann said at the signing ceremony in Rome with Premier Matteo Renzi that the Italian package ``was the most competitive and won'' against a rival bid from Slovakia.

The deal is expected to create 500 jobs at Lamborghini's Sant'Agata factory near Bologna, reinforcing the country's long-suffering auto sector.

The launch of the Urus SUV, which was unveiled as a concept at the Beijing Auto Show in 2012, also broadens Lamborghini's portfolio beyond two sleek two-seat super sports cars -- the Aventador and the Huracan -- into the expanding SUV market.

IHS Autpmotive lead analyst Ian Fletcher said the Urus SUV is an important addition to the Lamborghini brand, with the potential to attract new customers ``who find the dramatic styling of Lamborghini products appealing, but find its typical sports cars restrictive.''

The Urus SUV is expected to enter the market in 2018 with a production of 3,000 vehicles a year, more than doubling Lamborghini's current output of 2,530. Lamborghini, which is owned by Volkswagen AG, said it will invest hundreds of millions of euros to expand the Sant'Agata factory from 80,000 square meters to 150,000 square meters.

Winkelmann said the third model in Lamborghini's portfolio will determine ``stable and sustainable growth of the company and mark a turning point.''

Fletcher said the forecast production levels were at the top end of their expectation and would depend on global economic growth, particularly in the Chinese and Russian markets.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/wheelsn...es-to-build-ca

Jmac 05-30-2015 09:07 AM

Re-enter ...

http://www.motivemag.com/Content/upl...lm2_center.jpg

StylinRed 05-30-2015 09:36 AM

that urus looks awful... urugly

the lm002 on the other hand still looks alright

flagella 05-30-2015 10:01 AM

Awaiting Richmond joke

punkwax 05-30-2015 10:07 AM

Meh.
https://d37nk263jfz2p8.cloudfront.ne...6d92e9a461.jpg

multicartual 05-30-2015 10:52 AM

First time you take it off road you're going to do 50k in damages haha

Akinari 05-30-2015 11:51 AM

Luxury and exotic cars are increasingly becoming pointless status symbols now, nothing more nothing less. More and more people who can afford them buy them not because they actually enjoy the car and the driving experience it offers, but because of the status symbol it provides. It's just a very sad reality. How many X6Ms or G63 AMGs we see on the street are actually being driven by folks who look like they bought the car because they genuinely enjoy the driving experience and extra performance they offer over say, a regular X6 or G550?

I risk sounding like a broken record but what good is owning a fine automobile and not actually appreciating it? It's just like owning an appliance that gets you from point A to point B, much like all those middle-aged soccer moms (particularly in Richmond) who are driving AMG and M cars just because it's the top-of-the-line and they can afford it.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I genuinely feel like it's terrible to own a car, regardless of what car it is, and not appreciate it to the best of your ability. My biggest pet peeve is seeing exotics and other luxury cars being driven around looking like they haven't been washed in forever.

And now on the actual topic of this thread: fuck you Lamborghini. Too many bean counters nowadays. Bring back the old days.

TopsyCrett 05-30-2015 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akinari (Post 8642469)
Luxury and exotic cars are increasingly becoming pointless status symbols now, nothing more nothing less. More and more people who can afford them buy them not because they actually enjoy the car and the driving experience it offers, but because of the status symbol it provides. It's just a very sad reality. How many X6Ms or G63 AMGs we see on the street are actually being driven by folks who look like they bought the car because they genuinely enjoy the driving experience and extra performance they offer over say, a regular X6 or G550?

I risk sounding like a broken record but what good is owning a fine automobile and not actually appreciating it? It's just like owning an appliance that gets you from point A to point B, much like all those middle-aged soccer moms (particularly in Richmond) who are driving AMG and M cars just because it's the top-of-the-line and they can afford it.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I genuinely feel like it's terrible to own a car, regardless of what car it is, and not appreciate it to the best of your ability. My biggest pet peeve is seeing exotics and other luxury cars being driven around looking like they haven't been washed in forever.

And now on the actual topic of this thread: fuck you Lamborghini. Too many bean counters nowadays. Bring back the old days.

Good. More C-Lai driving AMG & ///M So when I buy that base 6 series 20 or so years down the road it will be easier to find ///M Goodies compared to now with my 1988 base 6 series :whistle:

multicartual 05-30-2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Luxury and exotic cars are increasingly becoming pointless status symbols now

Vancouver culture is centered around appearing richer than the next guy

underscore 05-30-2015 01:00 PM

Eww, that thing is hideous. Like all the other high end/exotic manufacturers, their creativity has gone to shit. When their "new" SUV's just look like their cars but stretched in a few dimensions with some big wheels it's just lazy and looks bad (I'm looking at you, Porsche and BMW). Fire the accountants, hire some designers and stop producing the same old shit for 5 minutes and make something actually interesting instead of just another slightly tweaked Gallardo.

multicartual 05-30-2015 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8642495)
Eww, that thing is hideous. Like all the other high end/exotic manufacturers, their creativity has gone to shit. Fire the accountants, hire some designers and stop producing the same old shit for 5 minutes and make something actually interesting instead of just another slightly tweaked Gallardo.

Look who sounds like an automotive hipster!!!

Akinari 05-30-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8642495)
Eww, that thing is hideous. Like all the other high end/exotic manufacturers, their creativity has gone to shit. When their "new" SUV's just look like their cars but stretched in a few dimensions with some big wheels it's just lazy and looks bad (I'm looking at you, Porsche and BMW). Fire the accountants, hire some designers and stop producing the same old shit for 5 minutes and make something actually interesting instead of just another slightly tweaked Gallardo.

I still think the Panamera is the ugliest thing ever made. Every time I see one I can't help but to think who in their right mind would want to drive around a bulging tumorous Carrera with two extra doors slapped on. I mean, it's so ugly that there's not even that many in Richmond!

underscore 05-30-2015 04:06 PM

The only selling point is the interior, which is awesome (albeit I haven't been in many cars of that calibre to compare it to). The sad thing is it could've been an excellent vehicle if their took their heads out of their overpriced suit wearing asses long enough to consider the idea of not just slapping the same stupid front end on every single vehicle they've ever made. But because Porsche is more concerned about milking their brand-whore customers for every cent they can rather than actually making decent vehicles the rest of us have to look at these hideous sedans and SUV's everytime they go by.

StylinRed 05-30-2015 05:16 PM

yep the panamera is ugly as fuck but that interior is sweet

Galactic_Phantom 05-30-2015 05:51 PM

Quote:

Spoiler!

G wagons slapped with an AMG badge degrades AMG. That thing is one of the most horrible cars I've ever driven. I can't even fathom dailying that tank. It can't turn, if you drive it fast it jerks your entire body

Akinari 05-30-2015 06:50 PM

Porsche needs to kill the Panamera design and replace it with the Sport Turismo Concept design for some proper wagon shenanigans. Looks a million times sleeker.

Timpo 05-30-2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

It's a North American thing.

In Japan, they modify everything. Porsche 911, Lamborghini Aventador, Pagani Zonda, Gumpert Apollo, anything.

GS8 05-30-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Fuuuuck do I hate new cars. Pretty much all of them. As a car guy I can tell what is what but if I wasn't, I'd be confused as all sedans and SUVs are starting to look like they were cut from the same mold. And, really, they are just rolling computers now.

Soon enough we'll say goodbye to manual transmissions and large displacement engines (save for sports cars, niche cars which will have their price premium).

I daily commute from Coq to False creek. On some days, I lose count how many young people I see driving around in high end cars like they were an accessory rather than a purpose.

But I like to thank fuck that I'm a car guy. When I see amazing examples of older cars in the CL good buys thread as well as the amazing examples kept by some of our RS peeps, I'm happy to now that I can still go out and buy an older car with everything I want and nothing I need without breaking my bank. And if / when stuff brakes, I don't have to worry about a MANDATORY trip to a dealership, all while knowing the bank still owns my car.

I always rant after downing a few

:drunk:

Akinari 05-30-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8642631)
Soon enough we'll say goodbye to manual transmissions and large displacement engines (save for sports cars, niche cars which will have their price premium).

Even more reason to invest in a large displacement N/A V8 car while they're still around :alonehappy:

I daily commute from Coq to False creek. On some days, I lose count how many young people I see driving around in high end cars like they were an accessory rather than a purpose.

Perhaps if we were all suddenly given an bottomless foreign bank account, we would think the same? This is certainly arguable but nevertheless, if I were to own a high-end vehicle I would certainly treat the high-end vehicle ownership experience as a privilege that should be appreciated rather than just an accessory piece to fling around town while wrapping it up in gold chrome or a million stickers saying look at me and look at all the money I have!

But I like to thank fuck that I'm a car guy. When I see amazing examples of older cars in the CL good buys thread as well as the amazing examples kept by some of our RS peeps, I'm happy to now that I can still go out and buy an older car with everything I want and nothing I need without breaking my bank. And if / when stuff brakes, I don't have to worry about a MANDATORY trip to a dealership, all while knowing the bank still owns my car.

I always rant after downing a few

:drunk:

:fuckyea:

skyxx 05-30-2015 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akinari (Post 8642536)
I still think the Panamera is the ugliest thing ever made. Every time I see one I can't help but to think who in their right mind would want to drive around a bulging tumorous Carrera with two extra doors slapped on. I mean, it's so ugly that there's not even that many in Richmond!

Are you sure?, I think the Pontiac Aztek takes the cake.

bomiheko 05-31-2015 12:20 AM

To be fair, the exotic cars being driven around Vancouver are actually being driven. A lot of them are actually daily drivers. Sure, they may be young drivers, but hey, they are actually driving them a lot compared to old farts who take them out once a year.

68style 05-31-2015 01:28 AM

Well I was just at the Lamborghini Factory in Bologna a week ago and bringing back the old days??? You mean the ones when they made shit cars with crazy looks and went through 3 bankruptcies and were owned by an Indonesian conglomerate before Audi swooped in and saved them? Those old days? Lol...

The work Audi has done preserving Lambo and respecting their history should not be dismissed, they still hand build every car but there is organization and structure and all those people have jobs because of it. The assembly line is very very impressive there, highly recommend taking that tour if you are in Italy.

Manic! 05-31-2015 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyxx (Post 8642721)
Are you sure?, I think the Pontiac Aztek takes the cake.

There is one car that is even uglier and I have seen it in person in Canada. That car is the Nissan Murano convertible.

InvisibleSoul 06-01-2015 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8642747)
There is one car that is even uglier and I have seen it in person in Canada. That car is the Nissan Murano convertible.

Holy crap... this thing was on the market from 2011-2014? I've never even heard of it before, never mind seen one. I think it's got to be more rare than McLaren P1s. :lol

Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet, 2011?2014: A Sort-Of Eulogy ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Biggest convertible ever?!

meme405 06-01-2015 01:16 PM

I've only ever seen one Murano convertible in person, and it was the most god-awful atrocity i've ever had the dis-pleasure of laying my eyes on.

The lady driving it I can only assume truly felt like a bumbling idiot for purchasing such a terribly ugly vehicle.

Hilarious that Nissan Motor company won't build the Q50 eau rouge cause they are afraid it won't sell, yet they were perfectly content putting out the Murano Convertible.

As for what Akinari said, if you are dumb enough to buy an X5m or X6m over the comparable lesser counterpart, when you don't care about performance or cars, you really are only hurting yourself. Cause you're overpaying for complicated shit you have no interest in, and your car is gonna be hungrier on gas, less comfortable, and be less useable in some situations, like off road or in winter.