REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Is Sydney Leroux a traitor? (Fifa Women's World Cup)

Sup guys back here posting after a long hiatus. Fucking mad at work like a pleb saving for aftermarket mods for the STi!

So I don't get it at all. This woman was born in SURREY BC, Canada and has the unmitigated gall to represent USA. Talk about rustling jimmies
Spoiler!

Would you call her a traitor for not representing Canada here in Vancouver? It's been reported that Leroux has subsequently been the target of racial taunting from fans for her decision to wear the red, white & blue jersey.

I don't follow Women's soccer so I don't know if she's a superstar or if she's even any good. However by judging from her pictures she's one of the better looking female soccer players and seems to have gained lots of attention for her 'image'

It appears the US team are favorites to win the tournament so it's likely she'll be playing in the final 16 bracket here at BC Place. The gf & I plan on going to the games if Canada & USA face off and I'll be booing her and rooting my ass off for Christine Sinclair and the rest of the Canadian team.

Anyone got the scoop on her since she's from Surrey. Do you know her or have a friend that went to school with her?

Advertisement
NotRevSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,823 Times in 1,748 Posts
Old news. We can can rub it in her face when we win gold.

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,067 Times in 828 Posts
I'm good it, from what I understand she holds dual citizenship, so its her choice to choose what nation she wishes to represent, Brett Hull did the same. Athletes from other countries have chosen to represent Canada after acquiring citizenship instead of their birth country/country they grew up in, I'm sure these Canadians booing her didn't have any issue and cheered for Tyler Myers playing for team Canada in hockey or Daniel Igali or Donovan Bailey in the Olympics.

13 Range Rover SC
11 Yukon Hybrid
13 Accord V6 Coupe
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,841 Times in 1,436 Posts
She has dual citizenship.

Tyler Myers, Sean Couturier, and Marcus Foligno all played for Canada despite being from the US.
Jmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
In RS I Trust

Thanked 16,830 Times in 3,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Old news. We can can rub it in her face when we win gold.
My thought's exactly, we don't need someone on our team like that anyways.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #6

Thanked 3,823 Times in 1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
She has dual citizenship.
Maybe this could be a good use for Bill C-24.

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-08-2015, 04:09 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,030 Posts
Dude, are you new to football at all? This type of thing happens all the damn time in the sports world, and especially so in the football world.

You have to realize that in typical, normal world, the typical person tends thinks of themselves, their future career, their grown potential, yada yada before the thought of national pride even crosses their minds. In the case of Ms. Leroux, she may or may not consider herself more American than Canadian. But I am pretty damn sure that she is 1000% aware of the fact that her career growth potential as a female football player is infinitely bigger in the US than it would be if she stayed in Canada.

Even though the MLS doesn't compare to other major league sports in N.America in terms of glamour, profile, status, pay scales, etc., I remember reading that in terms of the number of actual participation in the sport at the amateur level, football is actually very strong in the US. The popularity of the sport is also on the upswing, with the gradual shift in demographics in the US towards a larger Hispanic population and their greater appetite for football. Skill level of the MLS is also improving. If you may recall, Team USA delivered one of their best performances at the FIFA World Cup last year with a narrow defeat by Belgium.

All of this means the Canadian football market is significantly smaller than what the US football market is shaping up to become. As an aspiring individual, you seek out the best opportunity that will propel yourself the furthest, and this is especially true for athletes since they have such a short career span. To call her a sellout / traitor is just ignorant.

While we're on the topic, may I remind you of who Owen Hargreaves is? I recommend you to google him up and put yourself into his shoes. Would you have stayed in Canada if you were him? or would you have done what he did and took advantage of his British identity?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #8
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 8,025 Times in 2,085 Posts
I have a friend who was born in Vancouver but his parents are Portuguese and he was the back up goalie for Portugal during the 2010 World Cup because team Canada passed on him. Like Traum said, this sort of thing happens all the time especially when it comes to soccer.
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

moar bikini pics.

misogyny in women's football FTW.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #10
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!

Thanked 9,234 Times in 3,293 Posts
it's womens football...who cares? watching the games so far on tv have been worse than the Under-17 guys wc

(im going to the game tomorrow :P)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #11
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 17,637 Times in 5,344 Posts
*soccer
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #12
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 10,865 Times in 2,127 Posts
Jonathan de Guzmán
Born Canadian, plays for the Dutch national program

suck it OP... fail thread is fail
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #13
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,721 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
*soccer
no

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #14
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,132 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Budong View Post
Jonathan de Guzmán
Born Canadian, plays for the Dutch national program
Yep, while his brother is the captain of Canada's mens soccer team.

Like everyone said, lots of examples of people choosing to play elsewhere. Asmir Begović playing for the Bosnia-Herzegovina team is another example after having played with the Canadians as a youth. The obvious difference between Begović, Hargreaves or de Guzman is that they play for teams that greatly outclass the men's team that they would otherwise play in. It's much easier to feel happy for people playing for other countries when there is a huge gulf in ranking between the prospective teams. The controversy with Leroux playing for the states is similar to Diego Costa's switch from Brazil to Spain, and we all know how that played out for Costa and Spain last WC. Let's just hope that the US crashes and burns early as well and we can have the last laugh.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,043 Times in 230 Posts
Happens in favor of Canada as well. I don't see people condemning them when they are succeeding.

Steve Nash is the biggest name. But, he is a Canadian citizen so I think he has every right to rep Canada when he did. He was a toddler when he moved to Canada.
Milos Raonic is in the same situation.

I can't think of any others but I'm sure there are more.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #16
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 3,745 Times in 1,073 Posts
lol this happens all the time

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #17
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,931 Times in 967 Posts
who in the NHL has dual citizenship and plays for Canada/USA?

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:49 PM   #18
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 2,877 Times in 872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Yep, while his brother is the captain of Canada's mens soccer team.

Like everyone said, lots of examples of people choosing to play elsewhere. Asmir Begović playing for the Bosnia-Herzegovina team is another example after having played with the Canadians as a youth. The obvious difference between Begović, Hargreaves or de Guzman is that they play for teams that greatly outclass the men's team that they would otherwise play in. It's much easier to feel happy for people playing for other countries when there is a huge gulf in ranking between the prospective teams. The controversy with Leroux playing for the states is similar to Diego Costa's switch from Brazil to Spain, and we all know how that played out for Costa and Spain last WC. Let's just hope that the US crashes and burns early as well and we can have the last laugh.
Begovic's case was his heritage. As an emigrant during the Yugoslav wars, he did cap for Canada's U-20 team, but considering he was born in Bosnia, it was partly expected that he would move to that national team.

If you want a Canadian who's being a complete shit about national football allegiances, have a look at Junior Hoilett. He's toiling in lower English leagues, but refuses to play for Canada for whatever reason. He can also play for Jamaica, but doesn't, but REALLY wants to play for England (good luck with that on top of being ineligible due to various rules). So, he's wasting his national team call-ups because he wants to play for national teams where the talent pool is deep enough.

Last edited by CorneringArtist; 06-08-2015 at 09:54 PM.
CorneringArtist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #19

Thanked 4,967 Times in 2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
I'm good it, from what I understand she holds dual citizenship, so its her choice to choose what nation she wishes to represent, Brett Hull did the same. Athletes from other countries have chosen to represent Canada after acquiring citizenship instead of their birth country/country they grew up in, I'm sure these Canadians booing her didn't have any issue and cheered for Tyler Myers playing for team Canada in hockey or Daniel Igali or Donovan Bailey in the Olympics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #20
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,841 Times in 1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
who in the NHL has dual citizenship and plays for Canada/USA?
As previously mentioned in this thread, Brett Hull (USA), Tyler Myers (Canada), Sean Couturier (Canada), both Folignos (Marcus played for Canada, Nick for the US).

Also, Cam Fowler (USA), Brandon Kozun (Canada), Adam Lowry (Canada), Jamie Oleksiak (Canada), Paul Stastny (USA).
Jmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #21
das not it mane

Thanked 1,840 Times in 506 Posts
She from Surrey.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:10 PM   #22
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

OP is obviously butt hurt. Whats the point in getting the 'scoop' on her? So you can sleep better at night?

It's her career and shes looking out for her best interests. Move on man. Move on....
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2015, 10:15 PM   #23
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 10,865 Times in 2,127 Posts
Yes Jack Eichel is pure American...
but this is pretty funny

Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:57 PM   #24
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,444 Times in 567 Posts
OP should just cont his long hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2015, 11:15 PM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,385 Times in 576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
*soccer
Just no.

-----------------------

I think it's her freedom to choose which country to represent as she is literally half and half (born to Canadian and American parents) No reason to accuse her of anything.