REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #26
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

You guys know that the voting was already over right? This is their way of preparing to say fffuuuuuuuuuuuu....
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #27
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,028 Times in 287 Posts
Inside the SkyTrain control room
"At the heart of Vancouver’s Expo and Millennium SkyTrain Lines is an aging Pentium computer with 1992 software contained on floppy discs.

TransLink relies on these backup floppies to provide the last stream of data when there is a major glitch with the system, like a pair of massive shutdowns last month that led stranded passengers to force open the doors on SkyTrain cars and escape along the tracks. SkyTrain is an automated system without drivers, although the trains can be operated manually in an emergency."

This was back in 2014. Vancouver heat and 23 year old computers.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #28
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:11 PM   #29
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
Having used Uber in other cities and countries, I love the system. If there were more drivers, then the prices wouldn't be gauged unless there was a HUGE spike in demand. Yeah sure, if public transit goes down that'd be a reason. But that's supply and demand for you. The rest of the time it's a great deal and way cheaper than cabs in my experience. Friendlier service and sometimes nicer cars. And that's on top of how stupidly hard it is to get a cab in vancouver/richmond (you almost always have to call in advance).
amen, as a person that has used it, having it as an option is better than not having it as an option. No one is telling you you have to use it.

But if you had a flight to catch or important event to go to, it's an alternative, especially if you don't have a car and have to rely on public transportation.

Plus during non-surge times they work better than taxi drivers.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

My coworkers asked me if I take skytrain home after work when they heard of another system malfunction. I said, what the heck is public transit .
Euro7r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2015, 01:03 AM   #31
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,176 Times in 631 Posts
i recently started working in DT so im starting to rely on translink more, id say 80% of the time. for the past 4 months that i started using the transit, i was unimpressed with the service. bus would either be early at least once a week, or not come at all. skytrain outage once a month or so, and newb bus drivers scaring the fuck out of me. once i was in a bus driven by a trainee, who fking turned into the on comming lane, and had to hop over the median to get back into the correct lane. yes the bus driver was driving on the wrong side of the road. lucky it was early in the wee hours so theres no traffic but boy was it scary.

so fuck u translink, improve ur shitty ass services before u dare asking me for more of my money
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #32
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,690 Times in 1,527 Posts
this ain't even news anymore
there's gonna be like 10 more by the end of summer, i guarantee it.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:29 AM   #33
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Without knowing exactly how the trains communicate with Skytrain control, and acknowledging that automated trains were first deployed in 1986 using 1986 technology; why does Translink feel they need to invent brand new things for themselves?

Train communications are too valuable to be left to a one-off Translink special system.

If I was king of Translink, every train would have one of these, running this magic protocol, connecting to a pair of these at Skytrain control.
Then calling up Telus to add in some small antennas inside the mail tunnels like they have on the Canada Line

Communication "timeout" problem solved. Peplink's VPN tech really is that good. They have single handedly saved my business at our remote and rural locations that are served by flaky DSL and poor cell signal only.
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #34
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Bahahaha... Skytrain outage is news? Isn't this like a Holiday? You'd have one at least every month?

Seriously though, Skytrain's outage happens way too often for an infrastructure of this scale. I can't remember the last time Taipei's subway system was out of service and I take it everyday. In contrast, when I used to work downtown, I would take skytrain every so often when I don't feel like battling through the morning traffic and I lived right next to the station. Even it was a rare occurrence that I take Skytrain, I was stuck at least 5 times during the 3yrs I worked there. I either have a shitty luck or Skytrain just hate me.
What are you comparing?
A transit system that cost multiple billions of dollars to build and has nearly 2 million passengers per day in a highly dense urban area, to an older system that sees about 250,000 riders per day across a much lower density area. Ok then

These outages are ridiculous and shouldn't be happening this often, but if you want to compare Vancouver to a similar city, compare to it to Portland's transit infrastructure.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #35
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,841 Times in 1,436 Posts
blames problems on 23-year-old computers, spends millions of dollars on Compass Card system and artwork instead of replacing critical infrastructure, demands more money
Jmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 3,872 Times in 695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
What are you comparing?
A transit system that cost multiple billions of dollars to build and has nearly 2 million passengers per day in a highly dense urban area, to an older system that sees about 250,000 riders per day across a much lower density area. Ok then

These outages are ridiculous and shouldn't be happening this often, but if you want to compare Vancouver to a similar city, compare to it to Portland's transit infrastructure.
its the same idiots complaining they have cheaper cell phones there too
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #37
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 2,192 Times in 985 Posts
Imagine the chaos during the Celebration of Light fireworks if the Expo Line goes down next month.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #38

Thanked 1,794 Times in 823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
blames problems on 23-year-old computers, spends millions of dollars on Compass Card system and artwork instead of replacing critical infrastructure, demands more money
The Compass Card was imposed on Translink by the provincial government. People have been calling for faregates for years, despite the evidence of fare evasion being relatively insignificant.

Sure, you can point to the infamous dog statue which cost a hundred thousand or so. On the other hand, public art is a drop in the bucket when it comes to the cost of maintaining and upgrading infrastructure.

People just bring examples up mis-spending when they really have nothing to do with the overall issues facing Translink because it's convenient to a pre-conceived narrative that Translink sucks. The problem is that people want it all - they want cheap transit that functions at 100% 24/7.

I'll go off on a tangent, but you know what the problem is in Vancouver? Housing prices which has made the cost of living here expensive relative to salaries. That's why people bitch and complain about everything - from politicians, to the unions, to teachers, to nurses, to faceless organizations like BC Ferries and Translink, Starbucks baristas, trust fund hipsters, cyclists, marathon runners, the weather, the gridlock, and to immigrants - whether or not the criticism is warranted.
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #39
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,539 Times in 1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
People just bring examples up mis-spending when they really have nothing to do with the overall issues facing Translink because it's convenient to a pre-conceived narrative that Translink sucks. The problem is that people want it all - they want cheap transit that functions at 100% 24/7.
So what are the overall issues facing Translink?
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #40

Thanked 1,794 Times in 823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
So what are the overall issues facing Translink?
- A governance model that limits the sources of revenue they can draw upon and a provincial government that intervenes in decisions when it's politically expedient.
- 22 municipalities who each have different needs and can't agree on service and expansions
- Responsibility for transit, bridges, and roads which are sometimes at odds with each other
- Few valuable capital assets, such as land holdings, that they could use to fund expansions

To name a few.
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #41
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,111 Times in 291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
My coworkers asked me if I take skytrain home after work when they heard of another system malfunction. I said, what the heck is public transit .
It's great you drive and all but some others may not have that luxury so you could've said it without being pretentious as fuck
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #42
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
i recently started working in DT so im starting to rely on translink more, id say 80% of the time. for the past 4 months that i started using the transit, i was unimpressed with the service. bus would either be early at least once a week, or not come at all. skytrain outage once a month or so, and newb bus drivers scaring the fuck out of me. once i was in a bus driven by a trainee, who fking turned into the on comming lane, and had to hop over the median to get back into the correct lane. yes the bus driver was driving on the wrong side of the road. lucky it was early in the wee hours so theres no traffic but boy was it scary.

so fuck u translink, improve ur shitty ass services before u dare asking me for more of my money
You already have less issues taking the Canada Line.

Imagine taking the legacy lines, they are generally packed during rush hour, smell like piss... and are NEVER on time.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #43

Quote:
- A governance model that limits the sources of revenue they can draw upon and a provincial government that intervenes in decisions when it's politically expedient.
- 22 municipalities who each have different needs and can't agree on service and expansions
- Responsibility for transit, bridges, and roads which are sometimes at odds with each other
- Few valuable capital assets, such as land holdings, that they could use to fund expansions

To name a few.
Well that's it folks, close up the thread.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #44
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
What are you comparing?

But Vancouver is World Class tho.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #45
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
I'll go off on a tangent, but you know what the problem is in Vancouver? Housing prices which has made the cost of living here expensive relative to salaries. That's why people bitch and complain about everything - from politicians, to the unions, to teachers, to nurses, to faceless organizations like BC Ferries and Translink, Starbucks baristas, trust fund hipsters, cyclists, marathon runners, the weather, the gridlock, and to immigrants - whether or not the criticism is warranted.
I'd say the problem in Vancouver isn't housing prices, but because everyone is ENTITLED.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #46
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria View Post
You already have less issues taking the Canada Line.

Imagine taking the legacy lines, they are generally packed during rush hour, smell like piss... and are NEVER on time.
Only days I don't enjoy being on the train. Rainy season on the expo line.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:00 PM   #47
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,385 Times in 576 Posts
Quote:
What are you comparing?

I'm not sure what you mean. I was referring the exact point. If anything, the Taipei's system are prone to more problems as it is far more complex and higher load level.

I was simply pointed out how fucking incompetent Translink is. If they can't get a small scale system right, what makes them think they would be able to handle a large scale system?
Old 06-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #48

Thanked 1,499 Times in 415 Posts
what is this small scale system you refer to and large scale system you speak of?
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #49
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,385 Times in 576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
what is this small scale system you refer to and large scale system you speak of?
Small scale=Current skytrain system.

Large scale=Whatever the trolls at Translink were dreaming
Old 06-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #50
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Only days I don't enjoy being on the train. Rainy season on the expo line.
hot summer days going home during rush hour aren't fun either. whole train can smell like BO
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
organge7 has spoken, and we have done the opposite. yay!
urrh is offline   Reply With Quote