REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:23 AM   #76
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
3 pages and this thread is already turned into shits
Visit the thread on draft day or when the hockey season actually starts. Otherwise, it's just people thinking with their tinfoil hats.
Advertisement
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #77
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
CMPUNK is hosting/on the parade panel for the hawks victory parade...
lolol
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #78
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,073 Times in 1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00n View Post
Take this with a huge grain of salt but a reputable poster over on hfboards says that he is hearing Lack to the Oilers for a Second round pick (33).

With the relationship between benning and chiarelli, and bennings interview today about keeping Miller and that he wants a second for this upcoming draft. I can see this happening
If that happens, watch Edmonton finish ahead of us in the standings.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #79
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00n View Post
Take this with a huge grain of salt but a reputable poster over on hfboards says that he is hearing Lack to the Oilers for a Second round pick (33).

With the relationship between benning and chiarelli, and bennings interview today about keeping Miller and that he wants a second for this upcoming draft. I can see this happening
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
You take the best offer, regardless of where it's coming from.
I'd take that trade and try to package it with the Canucks 23rd overall pick to move up in the draft, so essentially, it'd be Lack + 23rd overall to move up.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #80
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If that happens, watch Edmonton finish ahead of us in the standings.
You make that sound like a bad thing. This ownership has shown that they're fine with mediocre hockey as long as they make it in the playoffs and make money. The only change that has happened since this ownership took over was when the Canucks shit the bed.

This team needs a big change as the core is getting a lot older now and is basically where Calgary was a few years ago where they held onto Kipper and Iginla for too long
Old 06-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #81
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Putting my tinfoil hat on but if Benning could milk that relationship with Chiarelli and somehow pry that 16th overall for Lack and another piece that'd be awesome.

33 is still good though...i'm surprised Nicolas Roy and Jordan Greenway fell to late 40's on NHL's Draft Central Scouting. I hope to see Benning snag either Gabriel Gagne, Nicolas Roy or Jordan Greenway if he gets 33rd overall.
I remember hoping the Canucks would pick Greenway because of size and strength in the first round way back in Feb assuming they'd have a late teen-early 20 pick but it looks like his stock has fallen since...could work to our advantage though if we can snag him in the 2nd round.

Last edited by 6o4__boi; 06-18-2015 at 11:05 AM.
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #82
My homepage has been set to RS

If Lack gets traded, we will have none of the goalies we had before the 2013 NHL draft.
No Luongo, no Schneider, no Lack.

Miller and Markstrom? A 34 year old on the decline and a backup that has not been able to prove himself at the NHL level but is already 25? Ehhhh
Unless we are waiting on Demko in the next couple years. I'd rather roll with Lack until Demko is ready to go.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:07 AM   #83

Doesn't matter.
I like Lack, he's a good fit for the team and the city. Hell, he's probably the best suited goalie to an environment like Vancouver but if he can provide good returns that can pave the way for a brighter future so be it.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #84
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Report: Cory Conacher signs in Swiss League | ProHockeyTalk

Looks like Canucks are losing Conacher to Europe, no big loss on the NHL level but a blow to Utica.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #85
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post

Looks like Canucks are losing Conacher to Europe, no big loss on the NHL level but a blow to Utica.
Not a big blow to Utica though, he finished with 8 points in the playoffs run.

Much rather keep the spot for Hunter or another kid coming up.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #86

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Canucks sign goaltender Joe Cannata - Vancouver Canucks - News

Quote:
Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed goaltender Joe Cannata.

Cannata, 25, split time this season between the AHL Utica Comets and the ECHL Ontario Reign. With Utica he appeared in five games, posting a record of 3-2-0, a goals against average of 1.99, and a save percentage of .932. In 21 games with the Ontario Reign this season, Cannata posted a record of 12-6-2, a 2.02 goals against average, and a .927 save percentage. He also posted two shutouts for Ontario during the 2015 Playoffs.

The Wakefield, MA native was originally selected by Vancouver in the sixth round, 173rd overall in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:44 PM   #87

lol Conacher, he's pretty much another Ryan Shannon.

hopefully they resign Eriksson too...he hasn't played too much in the minors and Cannata's numbers are pretty pedestrian so he figures to be a fixture in Utica.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #88
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
Quote:

who wouldnt rather live in Switzerland lol
Old 06-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #89

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
You make that sound like a bad thing. This ownership has shown that they're fine with mediocre hockey as long as they make it in the playoffs and make money. The only change that has happened since this ownership took over was when the Canucks shit the bed.

This team needs a big change as the core is getting a lot older now and is basically where Calgary was a few years ago where they held onto Kipper and Iginla for too long
Well, not quite since we actually make the playoffs whereas Calgary barely missed the playoffs every year, snagging those lucrative 10-14th overall picks.

Also, they tried to move Kiprusoff, but he refused to waive his NMC.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #90
Banned (ABWS)

strip down the entire team. and build a new dynasty
dragondragon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #91
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Here we go ... Lets start overusing the term dynasty
Old 06-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #92
i like gifs

Canucks were the dynasty of President trophy winners turned 1st round exiters
Old 06-18-2015, 05:14 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
If Lack gets traded, we will have none of the goalies we had before the 2013 NHL draft.
No Luongo, no Schneider, no Lack.

Miller and Markstrom? A 34 year old on the decline and a backup that has not been able to prove himself at the NHL level but is already 25? Ehhhh
Unless we are waiting on Demko in the next couple years. I'd rather roll with Lack until Demko is ready to go.
Unproven at 25 (a few months ago) isn't really that big of a deal.

Just as a comparison to Cory Schneider and Eddie Lack:

At age 24 (through 2009-2010), Cory Schneider had 10 NHL games under his belt. He was 2-5-1 with a 3.46 GAA, an 88.7 Sv%, and 0 SO. Extremely unimpressive numbers.

Despite being "unproven" at the NHL level, we made space for him (not that it was a particularly difficult choice to let Andrew Raycroft walk) and he went on to have a pretty spectacular season as an NHL backup in his age 25 year.

All 3 of Lack, Markstrom, and Schneider were amongst the best AHL goaltenders leading up to waiver-eligibility.

AHL stats (age 22-24 seasons, including playoffs)
Markstrom: 49-42-6, 2.54 GAA, 92.0 Sv%, 6 SO
Schneider: 101-60-5, 2.31 GAA, 92.1 Sv%, 12 SO

Obviously, Schneider had a relatively light workload behind a pretty strong Moose team relative to the garbage Rampage squads Markstrom played behind, but both put up very similar Sv%.

Both Lack and Markstrom played in the AHL during their age 25 season, but Lack was suffering through a hip injury and put up terrible numbers as a result. Comparing age 23-24 seasons:

AHL stats (age 23-24 seasons, including playoffs)
Lack: 55-46-7, 2.25 GAA, 92.3 Sv%, 11 SO
Markstrom: 28-26-5, 2.61 GAA, 91.9 Sv%, 5 SO
Schneider: 79-44-3, 2.33 GAA, 92.1 Sv%, 9 SO

Markstrom (age 25): 34-18-2, 1.98 GAA, 93.0 Sv%, 7 SO

If you're worried about Markstrom not being proven at the NHL level, I'd say you're not giving him enough credit for what he's done at the AHL level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
Doesn't matter.
I like Lack, he's a good fit for the team and the city. Hell, he's probably the best suited goalie to an environment like Vancouver but if he can provide good returns that can pave the way for a brighter future so be it.
I like Lack, too. I love his personality and his work ethic. However, I disagree that he's the best-suited for Vancouver. Last year, when he usurped Luongo and became our starter, he was getting into it w/ hecklers on Twitter, very late at night. I don't know how much of an effect it had on him down the stretch, but sometimes it's better to be a hands-off goaltender when things aren't going well.

Quote:

From what I've read on HFBoards, some Utica fans didn't like him in the top 6. Felt he was too undisciplined and way too streaky.

We traded Dustin Jeffrey for him, no big loss at all, really.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #94
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

I would hate to see us lose Eddie...

but i mean.....if you want to look ahead, then the new beginnings of this team are when those Sedin contracts are nearly done.
By then, Lack will be older..may not always be better.

but again, hate to see Eddie go, seems like he really wants to be here for the fans
Old 06-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #95
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Leafs latest prospect Oliver.
https://instagram.com/p/4F3chTNyw0/
https://instagram.com/p/4F3TiwNywp/
https://instagram.com/p/4F_FxUty9B/
https://instagram.com/p/4F_WL2Ny9m/
https://instagram.com/p/4F_5KKty-p/

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 06-19-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:33 PM   #96
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

because Avery once again...either wrote something that makes sense... or he's making shit up... I'd like to see Kris Versteeg write one of these after his first stint with the Hawks..lol

Transition Season | The Players' Tribune
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #97
My homepage has been set to RS

Some reporters, tin foil hats, are thinking Mark Stone might win the calder since Alfie is presenting.

I doubt it, but pretty darn tempted on making that playnow bet with 4.1 odds for Marky.

Thoughts on whose winning the calder? I think Ekband.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Budong View Post
because Avery once again...either wrote something that makes sense... or he's making shit up... I'd like to see Kris Versteeg write one of these after his first stint with the Hawks..lol

Transition Season | The Players' Tribune
I found that New Avery Rule article pretty interesting.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:33 PM   #99
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Some reporters, tin foil hats, are thinking Mark Stone might win the calder since Alfie is presenting.

I doubt it, but pretty darn tempted on making that playnow bet with 4.1 odds for Marky.

Thoughts on whose winning the calder? I think Ekband.
Wouldn't surprise me to be honest, Stone was the only reason that the Senators made the playoffs as he singlehandedly got them there.

Ekblad had a phenomenal season as an 18 year old, so you can't go wrong with either one of them winning.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Wouldn't surprise me to be honest, Stone was the only reason that the Senators made the playoffs as he singlehandedly got them there.

Ekblad had a phenomenal season as an 18 year old, so you can't go wrong with either one of them winning.
Hoffman and Hammond also had fantastic second halves as well.