REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Really? The few times I've tried to read articles from vice I've found them to be garbage. Maybe they've changed but most of what I've seen from them is trying way to hard to be edgy/alternative.
you're thinking about VICE, like regular vice

VICE news is great. check out their tv show on HBO. amazing journalism, they even embed into the heart of ISIS!
Advertisement
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #27
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Don't know if you guys know but the Vancouver Sun completed a 3 part story on Richmond this week, I posted the link to the 3rd part of the story below. Very interesting read.

Part 3 of 3: Ritzy Richmond neighbourhood where many are ?poor?

If you click the link about and it asks you to pay, copy the link and go into private window on your browser.

Last edited by Harvey Specter; 06-16-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #28
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
^
Quote:
“Statistics Canada continues to show (the entire city of) Richmond as one of the poorest cities in British Columbia, with a very high child poverty rate,” says Halsey-Brandt, who also represented Richmond as a B.C. Liberal cabinet minister.
that's some big time CRA fail
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I've personally seen this truck in Richmond and it is driven by a person not of asian decent. However I took the message that the driver is actually more offended by the new age of chinese immigrants than the chinese people are of his message.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #30
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
"Buy local, support the local economy and your fellow British Columbians" would've been a more eloquent way to put it.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #31
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

RS beat down crew assemble? i have address
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #32
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,900 Times in 3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post

VICE news is great. check out their tv show on HBO. amazing journalism, they even embed into the heart of ISIS!
What's the difference between the two supposed to be? If they are significantly different they might want to split their branding a bit as the vice name is not something I associate with quality.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #33
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,806 Times in 8,185 Posts
I see people calling this rant "racist" as if race has anything to do with it. It has nothing to do with race or nationality. His issues are with the policies of the government. And if you disagree with him, you probably aren't thinking about it enough, or are a communist.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #34
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Cutting edge news from Vancitybuzz's team of unpaid BCIT communications interns.
buhdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #35
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
VICE vs main stream places like CNN NYtimes, is more like Vancitybuzz is to Globe and Mail

If you watch any of Vice pieces. They reiterate the headline, put some sensational info, write an ending that claims they cover all angles of an complex issue (like overfishing in the Indian ocean) under 15 minutes.

Another similarity, the reporting teams are usually green and making a name for themselves with the public.

Vice and Vancitybuzz are both insulting to people who want news more than a fancy tagline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post

Last edited by godwin; 06-16-2015 at 06:32 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #36

No it is not quite a CRA fail but lack of political will and well, political posturing.

Non disclosed foreign asset argument has been around for a very long time (vs the US one). I think we got close to try to get a handle on it once during Chretien's time, but if you start counting, it is not only new immigrants are doing it. Plenty Canadian born especially established families around the Golden Horseshoe area have been doing it, except they are buying properties in the States / Caribbean. The issue was quietly dropped when everyone realise everyone else have their hands in the cookie jar.

The statutes are in the books (it is voluntary) but like any other conservatives initiatives having the law but cutting back on resources to enforce the law = nothing gets done. Especially places like China / HK where there is no data exchanged, CRA would have to open a HK / China office and manually go through the records.. really?

The truck driver does have a case, only poorly educated Canadians get left behind.

Easy to blame CRA but they are getting the short end of the stick in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
^

that's some big time CRA fail

Last edited by godwin; 06-16-2015 at 06:33 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #37
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Same kind of resentment since the head tax.

I wonder if the typical fake "low-income" chinese family with 2 bentley's make up for the free education/healthcare costs with sales taxes cause they eat out a lot and buy lots of luxury goods.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #38
I subscribe to Revscene

The system, via media brainwashing outlets, do a great job to pit ethnicities against eachother when in reality baron robbers are the only ones leeching everyones money. ie no economic protectionism (tariffs and rightful taxes against corps)
Such messages like the one on the truck show low analytical thinking which could spur even lower thinking acts of hate crime.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #39
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
I'm from Hong Kong, I don't find this offensive.

get this shit out of here.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #40
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
More parking at princess auto for me
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #41
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
all the people that say it's not racist back it up with some retarded comment that displays their opposition to mainlanders LOL

"they poison their own people, it's true"
"i'm chinese, get that mainland outta here"
"im from hong kong" (nuff said)

LOL

HAHAHAA

how fucking blind are you guys.

he's labelling an entire race. and you guys agree HAH... you ARE fuckin racist.

you CANT GET ANY MORE RACIST THAN THAT.

KKK: i ain't racist, black people are just steal things and are mostly low income bracket, that's a fact. they steal from each other, you think they care about you?

you guys are SERIOUSLY stupid if you think that shit is "fine".

If i drove down the british properties with a big sign saying "white people are savages and barbaric and have killed and betrayed every race out there including themselves! THATS A FACT!!! YOU THINK THEY CARE ABOUT YOU? IF YOU DISAGREE GET OUTTA THIS COUNTRY!"

LOL

you don't fucking rustle the bees at the hive. it's just simple logic.

you don't scream fire in a theatre.

if you guys HAVENT NOTICED, he's in RICHMOND, and SURROUNDED BY MAINLANDERS.

CIC is exactly right.
Quote:
Such messages like the one on the truck show low analytical thinking which could spur even lower thinking acts of hate crime.
and you savage dumb fucks are supporting it, so ignorant that you think it's absolutely fine. only because it sides with your own secret anti mainlander agenda. mainlander hate, cuz you're so fucking poor you cant afford a house any more or whatever bullshit you're blaming others for.

quit your bitchin.

get a fucking life.

here's a fuckin clue: when you label an entire race or gender or whatever. you're being racist/sexist/whateverist.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #42

and any place that sell products that uses fuses, recycled paper, tetrapaks, class 4 plastic bags etc etc.. even fish like salmon likely ate plastic bits from China while they were swimming in the Pacific. Not to mention the truck he was driving in.

If he practices what he preaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
More parking at princess auto for me

Last edited by godwin; 06-16-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #43
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

If you're Chinese/Asian and not offended by that sign, than you're a fool.

You think the driver cares that you're a CBC/second/third/fourth generation Chinese-Canadian? Or even Chinese at all. I bet he thinks we all look alike.

No. To him you're just another Chinaman who stole his job/priced him out of the housing market/ate his dog, watever...
Ford_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
all the people that say it's not racist back it up with some retarded comment that displays their opposition to mainlanders LOL

"they poison their own people, it's true"
"i'm chinese, get that mainland outta here"
"im from hong kong" (nuff said)

LOL

HAHAHAA

how fucking blind are you guys.

he's labelling an entire race. and you guys agree HAH... you ARE fuckin racist.

you CANT GET ANY MORE RACIST THAN THAT.

KKK: i ain't racist, black people are just steal things and are mostly low income bracket, that's a fact. they steal from each other, you think they care about you?

you guys are SERIOUSLY stupid if you think that shit is "fine".

If i drove down the british properties with a big sign saying "white people are savages and barbaric and have killed and betrayed every race out there including themselves! THATS A FACT!!! YOU THINK THEY CARE ABOUT YOU? IF YOU DISAGREE GET OUTTA THIS COUNTRY!"

LOL

you don't fucking rustle the bees at the hive. it's just simple logic.

you don't scream fire in a theatre.

if you guys HAVENT NOTICED, he's in RICHMOND, and SURROUNDED BY MAINLANDERS.

CIC is exactly right.

and you savage dumb fucks are supporting it, so ignorant that you think it's absolutely fine. only because it sides with your own secret anti mainlander agenda. mainlander hate, cuz you're so fucking poor you cant afford a house any more or whatever bullshit you're blaming others for.

quit your bitchin.

get a fucking life.

here's a fuckin clue: when you label an entire race or gender or whatever. you're being racist/sexist/whateverist.
Nothing in the rant mentions any of the Chinese races. There is nothing "racist" about it at all.

If you think that, you're either an idiot, or just looking to provoke.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Nothing in the rant mentions any of the Chinese races. There is nothing "racist" about it at all.

If you think that, you're either an idiot, or just looking to provoke.

"Say no to China crap"
"THEY poisoned THEIR own people..."

Who's "they" in China? The fucking Hondurans? You're just arguing for the sake of arguing
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #46
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Fanatic View Post
If you're Chinese/Asian and not offended by that sign, than you're a fool.

You think the driver cares that you're a CBC/second/third/fourth generation Chinese-Canadian? Or even Chinese at all. I bet he thinks we all look alike.

No. To him you're just another Chinaman who stole his job/priced him out of the housing market/ate his dog, watever...
i actually hope more and more people put and demonstrate more racist shit in richmond and vancouver.

please lord.

we'll always be in the majority so nothing to be scared about

but hopefully it scares away the mainlanders and drive down some housing prices for when i need to buy a home
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #47

Quote:
"Say no to China crap"
"THEY poisoned THEIR own people..."

Who's "they" in China? The fucking Hondurans? You're just arguing for the sake of arguing
"They" are the policy makers and government in control. The race is irrelevant. Obviously they're Chinese since the person is talking about China, but that has nothing to do with anything.

If he was ranting about how Honduras runs their country, the race would happen to be about Hondurans. That doesn't make it racist.

You're arguing for the sake of argument. Instead of discussing the real issue of a corrupt government, you're trying to dumb this down to an issue of race. CiC is right about one thing - dumb people will always dumb things down to their level, and nothing ever gets done. The plebs will argue and fight over irrelevant things like "race" while the real troublemakers get away with doing what they do.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
"They" are the policy makers and government in control. The race is irrelevant. Obviously they're Chinese since the person is talking about China, but that has nothing to do with anything.

If he was ranting about Honduras, the race would happen to be about Hondurans. That doesn't make it racist.

You're arguing for the sake of argument. Instead of discussing the real issue of a corrupt government, you're trying to dumb this down to an issue of race. CiC is right about one thing - dumb people will always dumb things down to their level, and nothing ever gets done. The plebs will argue and fight over irrelevant things like "race" while the real troublemakers get away with doing what they do.
So you honestly think the driver of the truck wrote that message without any racist undertones? He was really intending criticize the Chinese government for their shitty policies in that eloquently worded message? Guess I'll just have to disagree.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #49
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts

Quote:
“Say no to China crap"
Crap implies low quality products made in dangerous conditions by people who make less than 5cents on the dollar the crap sells for

Crap could also imply the veil of immunity they seem to have from the rest of the world. We KNOW what they do, but nobody does anything about it. But why care as long as YOUR bottom line isn't jeopardized, amirite?

Quote:
They poisoned their own people for profits
This is absolutely true. Google it. Go look at their smog covered cities, sludge covered waters and trash filled beaches. It's absurd to think that you can't even breathe when you get outside. I think China's Industrial Age has gone on long enough.

Quote:
Do you think they care about us?
C'mon RS, answer this question instead of arguing for the sake of arguing

Quote:
Protect ourselves and our economy
It could be possible this person saw too many people lose jobs because their former company shipped the jobs overseas because they'll work for lower wages. Or the person was a victim themselves. I mean, imagine working 20, 25 years for the same company, on your way to retirement and then, Surprise, you're done. Who wants to hire you when you're too old regardless of your solid work experience?

I don't see any racism at all. I see someone who's bitter about a system that favours the rich, enslaves the poor and withers the middle class away.

This is what happens when I don't click the article but, instead, make assumptions but please be aware that I'd rather use a Cheese Grater as a Fleshlight than read a Vanshitty Buzz article.

Last edited by GS8; 06-16-2015 at 08:43 PM.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #50
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
So you honestly think the driver of the truck wrote that message without any racist undertones? He was really intending criticize the Chinese government for their shitty policies in that eloquently worded message? Guess I'll just have to disagree.
So we should base our arguments on speculation of intent?

If I said don't buy Canadian crap then I must be racist against Caucasians since they are the majority. Am I doing it right?
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote