REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 06-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
I subscribe to Revscene

first time building a ported box, advice plese

hi, i have an alpine type-S 15" , but unfortunately the box is too big it wont fit into my honda civic sedan.
i am trying to build one myself.
i know that facing the sub backward sounds the best,,
but it is easier for me to build a box and let the sub face upward,
and which direction should the port face at?

if i make it face upward, will i lose some loudness?
which direction shall i make the port ?

and for the port can i use thinner mdf instead?
Advertisement
Perfect_ESL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
What model is the sub? eg. SWS-1541d
What year is your Civic sedan?

The difference that direction (sub, port) makes in SPL will generally be inaudible, but rattles may be more prevalent. If you're competing, which seems unlikely with a Type S in a Civic sedan, the right direction may add a dB or two, but you'd really have to experiment to find the ideal setup.

You can use thinner MDF, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you're using MDF to build the port, it'll also act as a brace, so thicker MDF will have a greater bracing effect.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
What model is the sub? eg. SWS-1541d
What year is your Civic sedan?

The difference that direction (sub, port) makes in SPL will generally be inaudible, but rattles may be more prevalent. If you're competing, which seems unlikely with a Type S in a Civic sedan, the right direction may add a dB or two, but you'd really have to experiment to find the ideal setup.

You can use thinner MDF, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you're using MDF to build the port, it'll also act as a brace, so thicker MDF will have a greater bracing effect.
its a 97 EL1.6 , sub is a sws -whatever dual 4 ohm.
what did you mean bu "rattles may be more prevalent?
i am going to buy some hush mat from amazon. to fully cover the trunk and front door and the roof.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Why does it have to be a ported box?
Since you are limited on space, why not build a sealed box with it facing towards to back but at a slight angle.
You won't need as much power to power the sub and you won't need as big of a box compared to a ported box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #5
I subscribe to Revscene

i think i can hear more lower bass, i dont care about the trunk space, just because the box i have right now wont fit into the opening of the trunk, i tried removing the fold down seat back and still wont fit thru the front.

is this stuff any good? Fat mat any good?
Amazon.com: FatMat 25 Sq Ft x 80 mil Thick Self-Adhesive RattleTrap Sound Deadener Bulk Pack w/Install Kit: Automotive

yeah where to buy peel and seal in vancouver?

Last edited by Perfect_ESL; 06-18-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_ESL View Post
its a 97 EL1.6 , sub is a sws -whatever dual 4 ohm.
what did you mean bu "rattles may be more prevalent?
i am going to buy some hush mat from amazon. to fully cover the trunk and front door and the roof.
Depending on the angle, the frequency at which the subwoofer is playing, and the enclosure design, you may experience various objects resonating (rattling). If the sub is, for example, particularly close to the rear deck, this can be exacerbated.

Sound damping material, when applied correctly, can definitely make things sound a lot better (inside and outside) by reducing energy transfer to those areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Why does it have to be a ported box?
Since you are limited on space, why not build a sealed box with it facing towards to back but at a slight angle.
You won't need as much power to power the sub and you won't need as big of a box compared to a ported box.
Bold isn't true. A ported enclosure is more efficient unless it's operating well-below tuning frequency (generally 1/4 octave below and lower), the enclosure is poorly-suited for the speaker, or the enclosure is poorly constructed/designed.

A ported enclosure will generally be larger, this is true.

I know the older model Type S subwoofers (10+ years old) were mid-high Q, thus better-suited (at least in theory) to sealed enclosures. I'm not sure about the newer versions. Would help to have a model number and/or T/S parameters.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2015, 10:08 PM   #7
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,969 Times in 1,896 Posts
Way too many variables for anyone to give meaningful advice.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:42 PM   #8
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:

I know the older model Type S subwoofers (10+ years old) were mid-high Q, thus better-suited (at least in theory) to sealed enclosures. I'm not sure about the newer versions. Would help to have a model number and/or T/S parameters.
Alpine SWS-15D4 PDF Owner's Manual Download & Preview - Page 2

i searched before its good for a ported.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:30 AM   #9
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

Quote:
Depending on the angle, the frequency at which the subwoofer is playing, and the enclosure design, you may experience various objects resonating (rattling). If the sub is, for example, particularly close to the rear deck, this can be exacerbated.

Sound damping material, when applied correctly, can definitely make things sound a lot better (inside and outside) by reducing energy transfer to those areas.

Bold isn't true. A ported enclosure is more efficient unless it's operating well-below tuning frequency (generally 1/4 octave below and lower), the enclosure is poorly-suited for the speaker, or the enclosure is poorly constructed/designed.

A ported enclosure will generally be larger, this is true.

This is some good advise Jmac.

If you want more from a local source and some Hushmat, go to our Burnaby store. They know the car, the sub and the way to maximize the efficiency

Keith McCumber
SoundsGood Auto Services
Everything we do is sound!

104-2700 Barnet Hwy Coquitlam 604-961-8626

1420 Boundary Rd. Burnaby, 604-676-8100

www.soundsgoodauto.com

Hours of Operation: Tuesday through Saturday 9:00 to 6:00

Authorized dealers of: Focal, Audison, Alpine, JL, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, Thinkware, Compustar, K40...

WE ACCEPT: ICBC Claims, VISA, MC, DEBIT, PAYPAL AND CASH.
installerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I've built a single 15" sub facing up and port facing passenger side with good results. I would do a single 6" aeroport by PSP to save space and have the ability to change your port tune.
gramser57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #11
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
I can design an enclosure for you with no problem as you have been a customer of mine for over 12 years! I can design a sweet ported enclosure for that sub that will fit in that trunk. I am a firm believer in ported for good, low bass extension and SPL. Slot port is easy to design and build and will net great results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_ESL View Post
i think i can hear more lower bass, i dont care about the trunk space, just because the box i have right now wont fit into the opening of the trunk, i tried removing the fold down seat back and still wont fit thru the front.

is this stuff any good? Fat mat any good?
Amazon.com: FatMat 25 Sq Ft x 80 mil Thick Self-Adhesive RattleTrap Sound Deadener Bulk Pack w/Install Kit: Automotive

yeah where to buy peel and seal in vancouver?

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote