REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Nürburgring CEO Officially Confirms Speed Limits And Ban On Record Laps

Nürburgring CEO Officially Confirms Speed Limits And Ban On Record Laps

Quote:
We just contacted the company that owns and runs the Nürburgring racetrack, with the CEO confirming the news we told you about earlier today concerning the ban on lap records due to speed limit restrictions.

Following the fatal accident that occured earlier this year, when a Nissan GTR race car flipped over the fence, claiming a spectator’s life during the VLN endurance race, the German motorsport association (DSMB) introduced speed limits for races on the prestigious circuit.

As a result, the Nurburgring management board decided to further extend and impose speed limits to other sectors of the track, thus limiting activities like lap-record drives.

Carsten Schumacher, CEO of capricorn NÜRBURGRING GmbH told Carscoops in a an email message:

"Following the tragic accident on 28 March 2015, the German motorsport association (DMSB) introduced speed limits for races at the Nürburgring. capricorn NÜRBURGRING GmbH has decided to extend these speed limits to other activities on the Nordschleife, which is why record drives are currently not permitted on the Nürburgring Nordschleife”

So, there you go. No more record runs allowed on the “Green Hell”, which means car manufacturers will be forced, for now, at least, to find a new proving-playground. It’s not known for how long this ban will be enforced, but there is a chance everything will return back to normal after things calm down.

Meanwhile, maybe we’ll finally get some comfortable cars. There were too many performance-oriented regular SUVs, MPVs and station wagons, anyway...
Nurburgring Bans Manufacturers From Attempting Lap Records

Quote:
The management group of the Nurburgring Nordschleife has banned car companies from attempting and publishing record lap times in the Green Hell.

The ban is the latest addition in a series of restrictions imposed on the track as a precaution measure after Jahn Mardenborough’s accident earlier this year at a VLN race in which a spectator was killed. The management since then has imposed speed limits and other restrictions in high-speed sectors of the circuit.

The report came from J.F. Musial, producer of Apex documentary, who was informed by Christian Von Koenigsegg about the news as he and his crew were about to film the Swedish company’s try to set a lap time with the One:1.

Management says that the Nurburgring restrictions will be reviewed at the end of the year but until then, manufacturers are banned from attempting any sort of lap time. Koenigsegg had already calculated that their One:1 is able of undercutting the Porsche 918’s official 6:57 time by double-digit seconds but the ban means that the Swedish company must wait until then.

The last manufacturer who was able to score a lap on the Ring was Lamborghini with their Aventandor SV, posting a sub-seven minute lap time.

What do you think? Are these restrictions justified? Should the management lift the ban?
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #2
Witness protection

this is what started it:

Fatal Accident in Nurburgring VLN Race; One Spectator Killed

Fatal Accident in Nurburgring VLN Race; One Spectator Killed

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 06-21-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
WTF this is retarded

accidents on race track will happen, it's just a matter of time
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

They should just ban GTRs for being too fast, eh Timpo?

so what does the speed limit mean on a race? penalties for going past the limit?
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
Witness protection

not sure. this is what i found (but for public events, not race):

Understanding the New Speed Limits at the Nurburgring

Quote:
When the Nurburgring is open for the public to use, the two entrances and exits used feature fixed speed limits of 200 and 250 km/h. Interestingly, there have reportedly been no attempts to enforce these speed limits in the past month. In fact, there have been a few short stretches of the ‘Ring with speed limits for the past 15 years but they’ve never been enforced. For private trackdays at the Nurburgring, the speed limits are also applied and if exceeded, participants can be expelled from further participation in the event.
there was mention that they use GPS tracking to monitor speeds. but how this works during race events i don't know.

Last edited by thumper; 06-21-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #6

There is no demand for a race track with a speed limit. Especially one that's used for testing and development. Remove the spectators.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #7
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
i guess that's the end of the ring, they've already been in dire financial straits (can't even afford the F1 race) and now this
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Yep. Maybe I'll never get to drive it at this rate.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:04 AM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

lol speed limit on racetrack, and a german racetrack of all places...
Old 06-22-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
RIP Nurburgring
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
If they are going to have spectators then they should up the safety protocols for them before they impose a speed limit. Move the spectators away from the danger zones, don't force race cars to slow down. But if they are in financial trouble then perhaps there isn't money for that at this point. Quite a shame.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #12
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
lol speed limit on racetrack, and a german racetrack of all places...
i thought the nurburgring was technically a public toll road, that can be closed for racing events?
Old 06-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #13
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

good bye Nurburgring
dinfung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #14

A racetrack with speed limits is not a racetrack. It's a road.

Next this idiot CEO will only allow bicycles on it.

Watch revenue dry up to NOTHING and then this CEO will be looking for a new job. And how do they plan to enforce the speed limit, gonna have Barney Fife out there with a radar gun??? And based on that video, top end speed wasn't what caused the accident anyway.

When the Nanny State starts in with stuff like this then you know we're in bad shape.

It's a stupid decision. The proper response is to ban spectators from any location where a wayward car can hit them.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

(a) Schumacher imposing speed limits. who would have thunk .
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:53 PM   #16
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
You guys are over blowing it. Every race has a set of safety rules. LeMans makes cars have large cutouts on the fenders above the front and rear tires so the cars don't take fight like the car above. Nürburgring can't do that because that would mean they would have to inspect ever single car.

Honestly can anyone say if this track was in there back yard they would stop going if they added speed limits in some areas? The Ring is going to be o.k. and will not close down.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #17
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
A racetrack with speed limits is not a racetrack. It's a road.

Next this idiot CEO will only allow bicycles on it.

Watch revenue dry up to NOTHING and then this CEO will be looking for a new job. And how do they plan to enforce the speed limit, gonna have Barney Fife out there with a radar gun??? And based on that video, top end speed wasn't what caused the accident anyway.

When the Nanny State starts in with stuff like this then you know we're in bad shape.

It's a stupid decision. The proper response is to ban spectators from any location where a wayward car can hit them.
Technically, the 'Ring is considered to be a public, tolled road. That means it's subjected to speed limits and other German road laws (ie: passing on the right, etc). And, yes, speed limits have been part of the 'Ring for a very long time now; they just haven't been routinely enforced. It also applied to private events where it's closed to the public, just like when a manufacturer wants to reach a new lap time.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #18

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Speed limits for races? Do the Germans realize it has to be April 1st to pull jokes like this?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Technically, the 'Ring is considered to be a public, tolled road. That means it's subjected to speed limits and other German road laws (ie: passing on the right, etc). And, yes, speed limits have been part of the 'Ring for a very long time now; they just haven't been routinely enforced. It also applied to private events where it's closed to the public, just like when a manufacturer wants to reach a new lap time.
This is absolutely ridiculous we have all been getting tired of all these crazy insane restrictions on all corners of the Motorsports world. Its called Racing its has been dangerous since day one if it were not dangerous it would not be as challenging as it is. That is one of the aspects that goes hand in hand with racing. With all the amazing safety technology we have today it really is not that dangerous at all compared to racing before the 90s. Its really joke that it is called dangerous today when walking down the street is more dangerous why do I say this because you can crash a race over 200 mph and walk out with a small head ache. The dangerous aspect of racing is what used to make it such a amazing feat to accomplish and why would as fans would look up to most Race drivers as idols and people we could look up to. I am not by any way saying that safety technology is not great and not needed to protect the drivers I am just saying we should really take a look at how safe it is and because of this accident your going to put speed limits on RACE TRACK. Why not say we must now change the spectating area and have spectators sign a waiver to acknowledged yes I am at race track and understand that racing is dangerous and there is a slight chance that I could get hurt or killed if a car flied of the track and hits me. Seriously speed limits will not make this type of accident any an avoidable one. What would avoid this type of accident is changing the spectating area.

When did these restrictions come in to play and start being ridiculous I would have to say was in the glory days of CAM AM in the late 70s all the way through to 87 where the most competitive racing had taken place. This is where racing safety technology started to be developed to ensure racing drivers could survive 180 mph impacts without being fatal.

This is where all the manufactures went to prove they were the best, had the best race cars, race car drivers, engineering, and best teams. The safety technology had not yet advanced enough and that is one of the best Racing series was put to end because of the deaths on the race track. Again it is Racing everyone know it is dangerous.

Today we have seen F1 racing has been destroyed and castrated for the same reason of ridiculous restrictions on speed and power. I have not seen an F1 race in years for this reason it is not competitive at all just controlled whats is the point of that. The last real F1 cars were the screaming V10 1000+hp monsters and those have now been replaced with turbo v6s with a measly 600hp lol and than theres is the electric F1s which we are not even going to talk about those. What is the point of F1 car that does not almost make your ears bleed.

How about the glory days of the Rally racing fans would all be lined up ready to watch them fly by at 100 mph while the fans were standing on the race track inches away.

This is the same thing like everyone has said here change the distance of where the spectators area is and reinforce the type of fence used its not like they do not have the money for it.

I really cant believe this is actually happening it is sad day today and Racing Gods could not be more angry and Ayrton Senna would say the same exact thing we are all saying hes not happy.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #20

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous we have all been getting tired of all these crazy insane restrictions on all corners of the Motorsports world. Its called Racing its has been dangerous since day one if it were not dangerous it would not be as challenging as it is. That is one of the aspects that goes hand in hand with racing. With all the amazing safety technology we have today it really is not that dangerous at all compared to racing before the 90s. Its really joke that it is called dangerous today when walking down the street is more dangerous why do I say this because you can crash a race over 200 mph and walk out with a small head ache. The dangerous aspect of racing is what used to make it such a amazing feat to accomplish and why would as fans would look up to most Race drivers as idols and people we could look up to. I am not by any way saying that safety technology is not great and not needed to protect the drivers I am just saying we should really take a look at how safe it is and because of this accident your going to put speed limits on RACE TRACK. Why not say we must now change the spectating area and have spectators sign a waiver to acknowledged yes I am at race track and understand that racing is dangerous and there is a slight chance that I could get hurt or killed if a car flied of the track and hits me. Seriously speed limits will not make this type of accident any an avoidable one. What would avoid this type of accident is changing the spectating area.

When did these restrictions come in to play and start being ridiculous I would have to say was in the glory days of CAM AM in the late 70s all the way through to 87 where the most competitive racing had taken place. This is where racing safety technology started to be developed to ensure racing drivers could survive 180 mph impacts without being fatal.

This is where all the manufactures went to prove they were the best, had the best race cars, race car drivers, engineering, and best teams. The safety technology had not yet advanced enough and that is one of the best Racing series was put to end because of the deaths on the race track. Again it is Racing everyone know it is dangerous.

Today we have seen F1 racing has been destroyed and castrated for the same reason of ridiculous restrictions on speed and power. I have not seen an F1 race in years for this reason it is not competitive at all just controlled whats is the point of that. The last real F1 cars were the screaming V10 1000+hp monsters and those have now been replaced with turbo v6s with a measly 600hp lol and than theres is the electric F1s which we are not even going to talk about those. What is the point of F1 car that does not almost make your ears bleed.

How about the glory days of the Rally racing fans would all be lined up ready to watch them fly by at 100 mph while the fans were standing on the race track inches away.

This is the same thing like everyone has said here change the distance of where the spectators area is and reinforce the type of fence used its not like they do not have the money for it.

I really cant believe this is actually happening it is sad day today and Racing Gods could not be more angry and Ayrton Senna would say the same exact thing we are all saying hes not happy.

Different racing leagues restrict things like horse power and engine to reduce maximum speed. They can't do that on the ring so they have speed limits.