REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-29-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Need Advice: Service Shop

Last Year 2014:

Went to car shop after researching their rep on revscene. I have a 2004 Audi A8L (ie money pit)

Did timing belt, water pump, tension rollers and some misc pipes and gaskets. Spent moolah but I did my research and it was about right.

This year 2015:
had a coolant leak in DT vancouver, so towed it into their shop. They fixed it under warranty. Felt relieved so ok'd work on brakes, oil change and some misc items.

Get advised a week later that the air ride/struts is blown. $1500. There was nothing wrong with this part when I brought the car in.

How should I as a consumer proceed? Is it just bad luck? I believe that the owner is honest. I am just frustrated that this problem occurred while in their shop. Is their any shared responsibility here?

Please advise. Thanks!
Advertisement

7seven: I really can't stand all these idiots who hit the gym now just because they watched 300 and want to be like a spartan. Case in point, this skinny guy comes into the gym the other day, must have only weighed ~ 140lbs, loads on 2 plates on the bench rack, mutters to himself, for sparta, unracks the barbell and proceeds to drop it directly on his chest.
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:45 PM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Is the strut actually blown or is it the valve block that has a leak? While there's a lot of documented issues with the air ride, it's usually the compressor or valve block that's the culprit, not the struts.

As for the legitimacy of the issue, it's possible. It could be coincidence that it crapped out while it was at the shop, or it could have been broken before hand without an error code being thrown and you knowing about it.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Nothing to proceed here. Your car is stuffed with technology from 11 years ago, bits and pieces do fail over time.

I find with modern cars with a lot of plastic parts like hoses and actuators. It is important to reduce heat and cold variations when parked. eg If you park the car out in the sun today, the heat cycle will be 20C. Hoses and parts etc don't expand and contract at the same rate, plastic get aged and things break.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2015, 08:03 AM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Problems can arise at any time. Just so happens the time is at their shop. Perhaps you didn't notice that they were blown before sending it in and it just gets worse over a matter of days.

If you do feel skeptical though as some shops do up sell customers. Consider this, how much mileage are on these shocks? How long do they usually last?

If things don't match up then have another shop inspect it, get a quote.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
As swfk said, how many km's are on the suspension? Is it original factory still? If so I'm assuming you probably have 150k+ km's on the car. Which I'd say is pretty good then for the suspension lasting that long.

Everytime my B5 A4 Audi went into the shop for an oil change, it came out with a $500-$1000 bill..

It's the main reason I took the $2000 loss on it when selling and why I will never buy a Euro car again.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valour View Post
Last Year 2014:

Went to car shop after researching their rep on revscene. I have a 2004 Audi A8L (ie money pit)

Did timing belt, water pump, tension rollers and some misc pipes and gaskets. Spent moolah but I did my research and it was about right.

This year 2015:
had a coolant leak in DT vancouver, so towed it into their shop. They fixed it under warranty. Felt relieved so ok'd work on brakes, oil change and some misc items.

Get advised a week later that the air ride/struts is blown. $1500. There was nothing wrong with this part when I brought the car in.

How should I as a consumer proceed? Is it just bad luck? I believe that the owner is honest. I am just frustrated that this problem occurred while in their shop. Is their any shared responsibility here?

Please advise. Thanks!
I'm very willing to bet that they have been wearing for a while and are just now being diagnosed by a competent shop. As they wear gradually its not as noticeable to the driver. As said before how many kms on the struts? Its a 4000lb volkswagen. Its going to eat suspension parts.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Agreed with ^

Just ask the shop if you can go in and take a look at it and get them to explain what the symptoms are. Most likely its already on its way out and the shop caught it and informed you.

i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanks for the advice guys, gave me some peace of mind. Now... who can I blow for $1500?

7seven: I really can't stand all these idiots who hit the gym now just because they watched 300 and want to be like a spartan. Case in point, this skinny guy comes into the gym the other day, must have only weighed ~ 140lbs, loads on 2 plates on the bench rack, mutters to himself, for sparta, unracks the barbell and proceeds to drop it directly on his chest.
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
i pay, but 1500 will take you a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote