REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Going insane trying to find a car (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704170-going-insane-trying-find-car.html)

Pocoscrub 07-01-2015 07:39 PM

Going insane trying to find a car

There's so many used cars out there to sift through to find something good. My big problem is that I don't even know what manufacturers to to really look out for so I end up just looking through all the ads.

What would be a good low maintenance car around $9-$11k? 4 door sedan with an automatic gearbox, that's newer than 2008. Which manufacturer to look for because I have no clue how to fix a car or where to even start. I need something that wont break down too fast and repairs wont be out of my ass. I'll probably fix it with a lot of Googled tutorials once the time comes.
So far I've looked at Volkswagen jettas quite a bit but reading through the RS forums and seeing all the engine light jokes has made me change my mind.

I'm not asking for specific ads or anything, just something to point me in the right direction, I've been wasting way too much time on this and should've already got a car a long time ago. It's just a car that would get my ass around Vancouver and maybe outside of it a bit.

Suprarz666 07-01-2015 07:49 PM

Get a civic or corolla.

/thread.

fliptuner 07-01-2015 08:05 PM

Civic, Corolla, TSX

inv4zn 07-01-2015 08:15 PM

You've essentially narrowed it down pretty well - an Auto 4-door that's newer than '08, with a budget of around 10K. That's not as large a range as you may think.

Low maintenance, so reliable then.

Stay away from anything European.
You can find American cars from that era, but most will be pretty shitty.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._SES_sedan.JPG

So now it's mainly Japanese, and maybe some Korean.

Civics and Corollas are best selling for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Accords, Camrys, Nissan Altimas, Sentras, Mazda 3/6, Hyundai Sonata, etc.

You may even be able to get some of the higher end models such as TSX, TL, etc.

fliptuner 07-01-2015 08:20 PM

^^^No to TL/Accord V6 auto

BrownBear 07-01-2015 08:34 PM

Going insane trying to find a car

Civic bro

rps13 07-01-2015 08:40 PM

2008 Nissan Sentra

2008 Honda Fit Automatic 96,000 KM Excellent condition

2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback - Price Reduced

2008 Honda Accord- Grey 91k KM

2009 Toyota corolla

2010 mazda 3

Alby 07-01-2015 08:41 PM

can't go wrong with corolla or civic

AstulzerRZD 07-01-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8655147)
^^^No to TL/Accord V6 auto

08+ Accords and 09+ TLs shouldn't be affected. The bad transmissions were on the 6th/7th gen Accord and 3G TLs.

In fact, Honda started using the RL transmission in later model 3G TLs.

jcmaz 07-01-2015 08:48 PM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Mitsubishi Lancers yet. 08/09 Lancers can be had for dirt cheap (within your budget) because they depreciate like a rock :'( CVT's on those feel gutless but they are roomy cars with a pretty big trunk. Plus they still look pretty darn good.

multicartual 07-01-2015 11:26 PM

Sounds like a recipe for a coma on 4 wheels

swfk 07-02-2015 06:41 AM

I say Honda Fit, haul a bunch of stuff and good visibility and they're super reliable.

smoothie. 07-02-2015 08:02 AM

when I joined revscene many years ago (even before this account), there was a quote that stuck with me.

Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick two. -Forgot who it was

It's pretty much how I've continued to buy cars.

and the honda v6 trannys still have problems, it never ended.

Hondaracer 07-02-2015 08:37 AM

Kinda OT but if I'm looking at a Honda/Acura V6, in either the TL or accord what should i be looking at for reliability? The 6 speed trannys?

Tone Loc 07-02-2015 09:43 AM

In on possible Acura thread....

Thinking of getting a TSX to replace the 4runner. Reason being, I want to save money on gas and insurance, plus I miss having a manual daily. And my parents recently retired (they drive a CR-V) so I figure I can just switch cars with my dad if I need to "haul" large items.

From what I understand, the auto TSXs have less transmission issues because they aren't mated to the V6. And variants of that same K24 engine are used in a ton of other Honda/Acura cars so I am assuming they are quite reliable.

Problem is a lot of them are still in the $10k-14k range....

Whizz 07-02-2015 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8655274)
Kinda OT but if I'm looking at a Honda/Acura V6, in either the TL or accord what should i be looking at for reliability? The 6 speed trannys?

The TL automatic gearbox was vastly improved in 2007, with much less reported failures. 6-speed would be the best route though. As for the Accord V6, I think it was improved for 2008, but I am unsure about the 2006 refresh model year.

On topic to OP:
I would recommend a simple Honda Civic 2006-2011 or Toyota Corolla 2009-2013 for reliability and easier self-maintenance. It is down on power, but with gas prices these days, it's well worth getting a fuel sipper. If you want some luxury, get the Civic EX-L model or go with an Acura TSX, although you will have a higher insurance premium associated with it.

AstulzerRZD 07-02-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whizz (Post 8655331)
The TL automatic gearbox was vastly improved in 2007, with much less reported failures. 6-speed would be the best route though. As for the Accord V6, I think it was improved for 2008, but I am unsure about the 2006 refresh model year.

On topic to OP:
I would recommend a simple Honda Civic 2006-2011 or Toyota Corolla 2009-2013 for reliability and easier self-maintenance. It is down on power, but with gas prices these days, it's well worth getting a fuel sipper. If you want some luxury, get the Civic EX-L model or go with an Acura TSX, although you will have a higher insurance premium associated with it.

Those 6 speed transmissions have issues with 3rd gear grinding/popping out of gear..
More reliable than the autos for sure, but that generation just seems to not have been good for V6 Honda transmissions

LP700-4 07-02-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8655274)

TL only worth getting 07+, 04-06 autos will go eventually. They put in a revised RL transmission for 07 so little to none failures reported. It is worth mentioning a trans fluid drain and fill is recommended every so often for these cars but fluid is only about 40 bucks and its as easy as an oil change.

Op only wants a car to put around town in so i dont see why he needs a big v6?

hud 91gt 07-02-2015 11:58 AM

I've been driving my '04 tsx since December. No complaints other then I've already seen some door lock actuator issues. Comfortable quiet car hopefully for years to come. Filling with premium kind of sucks when your not exactly driving a performance sedan. Good DD

bcrdukes 07-02-2015 12:40 PM

I know you're looking for a 2008+ vehicle, but I believe one of the moderators here on the forum is selling his TSX.

(Edit: I think it may have been sold.)

Timpo 07-02-2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8655143)
Civic, Corolla, TSX

Civic or Corolla, definitely yes.

TSX? I don't think he would want to spend extra money on premium gas.
Same as TL.

Timpo 07-02-2015 02:07 PM

OH FUCK SERIOUSLY, Why are people even recommending TL, TSX or Accord?

I don't think OP wants to put extra money on extra maintenance, insurance, gas, etc.
I think all he needs is a Civic or Corolla. He doesn't need V6 engine that requires premium gas.

nsx042003 07-02-2015 04:16 PM

I think reliability wise, most of the japanese brands are a good bet. The safest ones are civics and corollas as pointed out by numerous members.

but that being said, those same civics & corollas aren't exactly "cheap" when it comes to what you'd get out of it.... luxuries, features, etc.

I'd recommend mazda 3s too, they are a better equipped when compared to civics and corollas

Pocoscrub 07-02-2015 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8655430)
OH FUCK SERIOUSLY, Why are people even recommending TL, TSX or Accord?

I don't think OP wants to put extra money on extra maintenance, insurance, gas, etc.
I think all he needs is a Civic or Corolla. He doesn't need V6 engine that requires premium gas.

I wont die if I need to buy premium gas for a car if the car is good. Thank you everyone for the immense amount of fast replies, I'll start looking out for a decent corolla/civic/mazda 3.

I haven't seen anyone recommend a Kia, are they like the sub-par quality asian cars?

Kure GS 07-02-2015 04:24 PM

GTO

How about Australian?