REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 07-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Issues playing 1080p

I recently got a dashcam that records at 1080p 30fps. Files are in .mov format.

Now, when i transfer the video files over to my laptop, i have major issues playing it. VLC can barely handle it even with that loop all settings enabled. If I use quicktime, the video will play smoothly for a good 10-15 seconds and then it'll lag and chop the rest of the way.

I know it's my laptop cus i tried playing the videos on my pc at work and they came out fine with little to no choppiness.

This is my laptop specs:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-....108465.0.html

Is it choppy because it can't handle the video? Are there any more settings I can tweak so that I can watch the vids on my laptop? I haven't had too much time to play around. It's not too big of a deal but it'd be nice if i can get the vids to play smoothly.
Advertisement
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #2

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
try recording in 720p instead. should be a setting that alllows you to change it on your dashcam

your laptop should be able to play it smoothly
Old 07-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #3

i'd rather not lol
720p looks like crap compared to the 1080p file.
i'm using the g1w and i'm pretty sure the 720p isn't even actually 720p cus the drop off in quality is ridiculous below 1080p
but i guess i could go there if needed.

is there some sort of setting i'm missing on VLC or another player? I did try just playing it on a smaller window but that didn't work.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."

Last edited by 6o4__boi; 07-17-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:36 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Are you on battery when watching or plugged in?

Try changing your windows power settings for the unplugged state. Play around with the CPU power management tab.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:15 AM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

When you say transfer files over to your laptop, do you mean that you copied the .mov files to the hard drive and then playing them from there? Or are you playing the video files on the flash card?

I would try updating the video card drivers on the laptop. Stop or exit all programs and services that you don't need to see if a program or a service is slowing down the video playback.

According to the spec sheet, your laptop should be OK with 1080p playback. Next time though, I would stay away from AMD CPUs and 5400 rpm hard drive speed.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2015, 07:34 AM   #6

CPU is on high performance setting.

Yup, i copy the .mov files and then play em from the hard drive...i've tried both ways, both just as laggy.

Lol yeah, of course i read about AMD CPUs now not when i was hunting around...but i got a decent deal on it and besides the 1080p playback issue, it's been good to me so far.
I'll try updating the video card drivers and see if that solves it
Old 07-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #7
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
I recently got a dashcam that records at 1080p 30fps. Files are in .mov format.

Now, when i transfer the video files over to my laptop, i have major issues playing it. VLC can barely handle it even with that loop all settings enabled. If I use quicktime, the video will play smoothly for a good 10-15 seconds and then it'll lag and chop the rest of the way.

I know it's my laptop cus i tried playing the videos on my pc at work and they came out fine with little to no choppiness.

This is my laptop specs:
Review Acer Aspire V5-552G Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

Is it choppy because it can't handle the video? Are there any more settings I can tweak so that I can watch the vids on my laptop? I haven't had too much time to play around. It's not too big of a deal but it'd be nice if i can get the vids to play smoothly.
maybe something to do with the codec? try using different media player (e.g. media player classic)

and try updating your graphic drivers.

I have a 2008 laptop with 1.4GHZ SU9400 cpu and it can play 1080p fine, so I think it has more to do with the software than hardware.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #8

hopefully it's not codec...that stuff seems like its a pain in the ass to deal with
but yeah, i haven't give mp classic a shot...totally forgot that it exists cus i've been reliant on VLC for years now.

forgot to mention, i ran it at 720p and that played fine.
i'm gonna do the updates and see how it goes.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #9
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
hopefully it's not codec...that stuff seems like its a pain in the ass to deal with
but yeah, i haven't give mp classic a shot...totally forgot that it exists cus i've been reliant on VLC for years now.

forgot to mention, i ran it at 720p and that played fine.
i'm gonna do the updates and see how it goes.
just google VLC codec packs / CCCP
shouldn't take more than 3 mins to install.

But I'd try MPC first before anything.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #10

solved it...MPC played it perfectly

i did try to update the video card drivers but the installer kept crashing so it looks like MPC it is

might give the vlc codec packs a shot at some point but for now mpc is good
i forgot all about it lol.