REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 07-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Official Huawei Nexus Thread

So Im sure you guys all heard rumors about the next nexus phone.. so lets start an official thread..

Huawei Nexus leak reveals QHD display, SD820, fingerprint scanner

According to @evleaks, the specs so far
5.7" QHD w/ metal body
SD820 SoC
fingerprint reader
Ships Q4.
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2015, 12:17 AM   #2
R5x
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Looks and sounds impressive, on paper at least. Just like all Nexus phones do every year.

But I've heard other people now commenting that the SD820 is not going to happen before Q1 2016, so we'll see.

But regardless, I can't imagine myself buying another Nexus phone (or even Android phone) until Google fixes their OS:
https://code.google.com/p/android/is...tail?id=165558
Ridiculous issue that's been around for over a year that kills all Lollipop phones on mobile. Even happens on Android M preview..
R5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:17 AM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R5x View Post
Looks and sounds impressive, on paper at least. Just like all Nexus phones do every year.

But I've heard other people now commenting that the SD820 is not going to happen before Q1 2016, so we'll see.

But regardless, I can't imagine myself buying another Nexus phone (or even Android phone) until Google fixes their OS:
https://code.google.com/p/android/is...tail?id=165558
Ridiculous issue that's been around for over a year that kills all Lollipop phones on mobile. Even happens on Android M preview..
Don't think is an issue Google will address in the future. They want to local where you are, where you eat, where you been for how long etc etc... To do that they need their google service running and sending data to them. Is their way of tracking you lol. If you try to set your phone on airplane mode the battery drain issue is gone but as soon as the phone gets a singal, connects to WiFi it will start sending data.

The only Android phone that I use/know that can actually stop the battery drain was the sony xperia series. On my Sony Xperia Z3 compact under power saving mode you have the option to select which apps you allow to run in the background and send/receive data when screen is off. So I only select the messaging apps that I use other apps IE goolge service, google play and all the other crap are restricted. So what that setting my phone only lose 1 to 2% of battery over night even with wifi and data turn on.

On my Lg G3 and Samsung S4 it doesn't have those options even in the power saving mode so the battery drain is pretty bad. I mean the Lg g3 had a bigger battery than the Z3 compact yet during standby it actually loses more battery.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
R5x
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

It's true that Google play services constantly tracks your location to get location data if you allow it to. However, what the bug I linked above is something different. Read post #20 on that bug tracker I linked. It explains the issue perfectly. It's a problem completely independent of simple location tracking by Google and started with lollipop. Battery drain was never a problem with kit kat even with full location on. The Sony z3c is also affected and standby battery life is garbage compared to kit kat even with power saving on (definitely noticed this on my gf's z3c).

Sorry for the off topic rant.

Anyways, I wonder if the Huawei Nexus is a way for Google play to finally somehow penetrate the china market.
R5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:
It's true that Google play services constantly tracks your location to get location data if you allow it to. However, what the bug I linked above is something different. Read post #20 on that bug tracker I linked. It explains the issue perfectly. It's a problem completely independent of simple location tracking by Google and started with lollipop. Battery drain was never a problem with kit kat even with full location on. The Sony z3c is also affected and standby battery life is garbage compared to kit kat even with power saving on (definitely noticed this on my gf's z3c).

Sorry for the off topic rant.

Anyways, I wonder if the Huawei Nexus is a way for Google play to finally somehow penetrate the china market.
And for Huawei to penetrate the US. Two way penetration if done right
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
And for Huawei to penetrate the US. Two way penetration if done right
They have already penetrated US for a long time. Just because you don't see them from the consumer retail point of view doesn't mean their is no existence. They sell tower equipment to Rogers Bell Telus T-mobile Wind etc and service their network maintenance. They are the industry leader with more expertise and patent than any competitors in the world. How else do you get your LTE coverage huh.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2015, 02:07 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
They have already penetrated US for a long time. Just because you don't see them from the consumer retail point of view doesn't mean their is no existence. They sell tower equipment to Rogers Bell Telus T-mobile Wind etc and service their network maintenance. They are the industry leader with more expertise and patent than any competitors in the world. How else do you get your LTE coverage huh.
Wow, we're getting real about cellphone equipment up in here now. You made the best point of argument yourself. "You don't see it from a consumer retail point of view". We're talking brand recognition here on the consumer side, of which they have pretty much zero at this point. This could do great things for them in that.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

well if you include carrier subsidized budget phones then they are quite well received by consumers here in US/Canada. In other regions, they are known for their premium devices.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #9
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
I wasn't gonna comment on the Huawei aspect initially, but now that the cat has gotten out of the bag, so to speak, I am gonna say I find it interesting to see Google tasking Huawei to produce the next Nexus phone.

As recent as a few years back, there has been a string of US accusations that Huawei communication products contain spyware built into them. Naturally, Huawei denied all the allegations, but at one point, they went as far as claiming that they would be pulling out of the US market. Obviously, I would never believe Huawei to do something like this when the US market is just so lucrative.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I wasn't gonna comment on the Huawei aspect initially, but now that the cat has gotten out of the bag, so to speak, I am gonna say I find it interesting to see Google tasking Huawei to produce the next Nexus phone.

As recent as a few years back, there has been a string of US accusations that Huawei communication products contain spyware built into them. Naturally, Huawei denied all the allegations, but at one point, they went as far as claiming that they would be pulling out of the US market. Obviously, I would never believe Huawei to do something like this when the US market is just so lucrative.
They all spy on each other. It's a full circle. It's a matter of whether you want your info in the hands of China or the US.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #11
HELP ME PLS!!!

Is this the one with dual main cameras? To have a short and far focal distance.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #12
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Hmm it seems when I was using the phone back in the beginning. Recently there was an update for it. I should give it a try and see if this change anything. If that's the case then pretty much all android running the latest version will have this issue........ Which sucks. I should go back to the Z3C and see how bad is it. Currently using Iphone 5s and battery life seems great (better than my S4( but I am temped to go back to the Z3C since I purchase a desktop charger for it.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #13
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I'm a certified Huawei "Engineer"... they have been here for years already. The cell phone market is a very very small market for them. Their real presence and continuous market through O&M and site equipment is behind the scenes. I finally agree with Gululu on something.

One thing Gululu won't like is that Huawei actually got banned from certain countries because they were suspected of spying on cell phone networks to gain intelligence.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:12 PM   #14
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Yes Google FINALLY Acknowledged the Mobile Radio bug/location thingy
how many months too late?

fuckkk
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Budong View Post
Yes Google FINALLY Acknowledged the Mobile Radio bug/location thingy
how many months too late?

fuckkk
Can you link the post?
Old 07-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #16
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Nope, the only way Google can penetrate the target is to start censoring things that Chinese government wants them to.. is that going to happen? Not with the current leadership / majority shareholders (ie Page and Brin).

Quote:
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote