REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 07-23-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

Which Router?

Currently own a Linksys E4200 which appears to be dying as it's been dropping my connection frequently recently. Looking for a good router that's <$150.

1. Router must be able to run DD-WRT/Tomato
2. Is AC necessary? I know it provides better speed, but does it have better coverage?
3. My E4200 was refurbished from NCIX, is it worth to buy another refurbushed? My Linksys WRT54GL lasted 5-6 years, 3 years (I think) seem kinda disappointing.

Looking at the TP-Link Archer C7, seems like a pretty popular router these days. Any other suggestions?
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:36 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Router Chooser - SmallNetBuilder

refurb up to you...personally i would only buy refurb'd asus and d-link/linksys/netgear routers i would buy new
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I pretty much exclusively use Linksys and Cisco network devices. For AC, you actually get less range. It's one of those nice-to-have features right now as many wireless devices do not come natively with AC support. I've used refurbished devices before, and I have to say, they are about 50% failure rate within a couple of months. If your budget allows, buy new where ever you can.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Ive always had bad luck with dlink.. right now, Im using Trendnet Powerline upstairs and a wireless trendnet powerline downstairs, all connected to my shaw modem... so its my go to brand for now...
Old 07-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,158 Posts
If you can swing it, the Nighthawk. It's an amazing router with crazy range and speed.

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900(R7000) Smart WiFi Dual Band 600+1300MBPS Gigabit Wireless Router - R7000-100PAS
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote