REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Prohibited from driving for 90 days and excessive speeding.

Hey,

I made a bad decision and last Sat. I got behind the wheel and I was over the limit. I have a class 7N license and it got taken away for 90 days and my car got impounded on HWY 1 near Surrey. I got a violation ticket for not wearing corrective lenses (I was wearing contacts) and driving in the HOV lane.

I got a court appearance for excessive speeding. I was charged under 148(1) MVA for that. Why didn't he just give me a ticket? Why do I have to go to court? I'm new to the board and I would really appreciate some help.

I'm in medical school overseas and I can't have a criminal record as it would really hinder my future job. I definitely learned my lesson and am not drinking again, I was never a heavy drinker. I'd go out once or twice a month, reluctantly unless my friends were really pushing. I sucked at socializing that night and I went overboard with it....

Thanks.
Advertisement
dumbdecisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Strong username to post content
fivetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Did you blow? Or refuse to blow? Cuz if you blew then you're gonna have a record. If you don't blow; no record.

As for the court appearance, that does make sense that you have one... Usually it takes up to a year to get a court appearance. Did you get a letter in the mail or what?

Need more info bra.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:55 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Wait....so you were

a) Excessive speeding
b) Drank over the limit for a 7N
c) Drove on a HOV lane
d) Didn't have corrective lenses

All 4 at together??! Your licence should be taken away from you permanently
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

HOV lane and corrective lenses don't count as real tickets (assuming contacts are used). And they carry no points anyways so they're null/void
Old 07-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #6

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
HOV lane and corrective lenses don't count as real tickets (assuming contacts are used). And they carry no points anyways so they're null/void
The first two combined is bad enough - heck even the 1st one is severe enough.

Brb, emailing this guy's dean.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2015, 10:51 PM   #7
das not it mane

Thanked 1,852 Times in 509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Did you blow? Or refuse to blow? Cuz if you blew then you're gonna have a record. If you don't blow; no record.

As for the court appearance, that does make sense that you have one... Usually it takes up to a year to get a court appearance. Did you get a letter in the mail or what?

Need more info bra.
Don't scare him with the wrong information. With the IRP introduced, it works under the MVA so it does not leave a person with a criminal record and it stays on his driving record (for 5 years i believe). The officer does have the option to charge him criminally, but since he said he's suspended for 90 days, it looks like they gave him an IRP. Refusing to blow is actually worse because they automatically classify you as impaired and then you will have to spend lawyer fees if you wish to fight it; which does not guarantee a win.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:53 PM   #8
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
fucking rs, always with the "you dont deserve this and that bs" talking like you guys never made a single mistake in your life and just because you didnt get caught speeding or whatever it is, doesnt mean you didnt break the law.

guys trying to get help and he clearly knew that he did was wrong.

OP, someone will chime in soon to help you out as I have no clue.
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:30 AM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
Sounds like you got a lot of shit to work out man. Sort your life out
Old 07-31-2015, 12:55 AM   #10
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilley View Post
fucking rs, always with the "you dont deserve this and that bs" talking like you guys never made a single mistake in your life and just because you didnt get caught speeding or whatever it is, doesnt mean you didnt break the law.

guys trying to get help and he clearly knew that he did was wrong.

OP, someone will chime in soon to help you out as I have no clue.
revscene got no chill
Old 07-31-2015, 02:58 AM   #11
RS Lurker, I don't post!

It was a bad decision. I'm not a heavy drinker and I thought I was sober, it was a bad judgement call. I was sober for 5-6hrs but I recently lost a lot of weight since I compete in boxing... I'm also not a heavy drinker so it had a stronger effect on me. However I did a sobriety test (checked balance and heel to toe walking with turn) and used a BAC calculator on my phone prior to driving, if it helps...

I have no criminal record and I'm an honor roll student. I've done two years of pre med and I was supposed to do my first year of med school last year however I had digestive issues that caused me to take passive semesters. I'm a good person and I was speeding because no one was on the highway, it was 4am on a Sat. I know multiple people that drive drunk after a night out to get McDs or something and haven't been caught. I did it once and got caught. I know people that race their friends on the way to the gym and never get issued a ticket or just get a warning because their good looking chicks.

I was wearing contact lenses and the HOV lane I thought was available to single lane drivers after 7pm and on the weekends... If I were to be charged as a criminal it would destroy my career...

I graduated from a Christian school and I'm trying to become a doctor so I can make money to support my dad who currently works 15hr days and my mom who has mental/depressive issues. Don't make me out to be a scum of the earth because I made bad decisions one night. I'm not a perfect person but i'm striving everyday to be better. After this one issue at 21 years old I have decided to quit drinking... Sorry if I can't be up to your standards, if you can't help me out then avoid the thread.
dumbdecisions is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2015, 04:30 AM   #12
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Usually tickets are issued for the offences you described (Excessive speed,driving contrary to restrictions, HOV lane) ,....but because I'm assuming you were charged with impaired driving under the criminal code, they are all being heard in provincial court. BTW, in some people's minds....a "good person" doesn't choose to drive at an excessive speed and consume alcohol ( ZERO BAC on your licence) and drive, even if it is 4am. Those have nothing to do with weight loss or parents who need support. IF your parents do need your support then that is even more reason to NOT do everything you did. If you have legal questions you should be talking to a lawyer, not asking RS for a way to get off with no charges.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2015, 06:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwon View Post
Don't scare him with the wrong information. With the IRP introduced, it works under the MVA so it does not leave a person with a criminal record and it stays on his driving record (for 5 years i believe). The officer does have the option to charge him criminally, but since he said he's suspended for 90 days, it looks like they gave him an IRP. Refusing to blow is actually worse because they automatically classify you as impaired and then you will have to spend lawyer fees if you wish to fight it; which does not guarantee a win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Usually tickets are issued for the offences you described (Excessive speed,driving contrary to restrictions, HOV lane) ,....but because I'm assuming you were charged with impaired driving under the criminal code, they are all being heard in provincial court. BTW, in some people's minds....a "good person" doesn't choose to drive at an excessive speed and consume alcohol ( ZERO BAC on your licence) and drive, even if it is 4am. Those have nothing to do with weight loss or parents who need support. IF your parents do need your support then that is even more reason to NOT do everything you did. If you have legal questions you should be talking to a lawyer, not asking RS for a way to get off with no charges.
It's the immediate court date which is making it seem as though he's being charged.

But like Zulu said, best bet is to just talk to a lawyer. All i'm spewing is info from people who have gotten DUI's in the past couple years.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:28 AM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
-You can fight the HOV lane issue as HOV Lane restrictions only last until 7pm Monday-Friday.
-The contacts vs. glasses is driving against restrictions which you are probably hooped for.
-Being an 'N' driver means absolutely no alcohol in your system, you should've known better on this one.
-And excessive speeding, even without the other 3 charges, would've got your car impounded and license taken away. Nothing you can do about this one either.

Your only option is to find a damn good lawyer who will try and find some loop holes for you. The "first offense" card can't even be played, as I doubt the judge would give sympathy for an 'N' driver who went 40+ while intoxicated.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:09 PM   #15
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

The Highway 1 HOV lane beyond Coquitlam is 24/7 if I'm not mistaken. OP might be given a pass as time limit is a common misconception for people who don't cross the river often.

The OP might be given the benefit of the doubt for the corrective lens infraction.

- single occupant in HOV lane
- excessive drinking and driving (probable DUI regardless of Class 5/7)
- excessive speeding

All the above show lack of care and respect to the law and other drivers the road. Buy a bottle of lube, OP. You'll be getting shafted a bit.

How does one get caught driving in the HOV lane when the highway is 4/5 lanes wide in the middle if the night?

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2015, 02:08 PM   #16
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Chill out, your future won't be hindered because of this.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2015, 03:14 PM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbdecisions View Post
It was a bad decision. I'm not a heavy drinker and I thought I was sober, it was a bad judgement call. I was sober for 5-6hrs but I recently lost a lot of weight since I compete in boxing... I'm also not a heavy drinker so it had a stronger effect on me. However I did a sobriety test (checked balance and heel to toe walking with turn) and used a BAC calculator on my phone prior to driving, if it helps...

I have no criminal record and I'm an honor roll student. I've done two years of pre med and I was supposed to do my first year of med school last year however I had digestive issues that caused me to take passive semesters. I'm a good person and I was speeding because no one was on the highway, it was 4am on a Sat. I know multiple people that drive drunk after a night out to get McDs or something and haven't been caught. I did it once and got caught. I know people that race their friends on the way to the gym and never get issued a ticket or just get a warning because their good looking chicks.

I was wearing contact lenses and the HOV lane I thought was available to single lane drivers after 7pm and on the weekends... If I were to be charged as a criminal it would destroy my career...

I graduated from a Christian school and I'm trying to become a doctor so I can make money to support my dad who currently works 15hr days and my mom who has mental/depressive issues. Don't make me out to be a scum of the earth because I made bad decisions one night. I'm not a perfect person but i'm striving everyday to be better. After this one issue at 21 years old I have decided to quit drinking... Sorry if I can't be up to your standards, if you can't help me out then avoid the thread.
Sorry but reading your posts all these excuses don't really matter, if you're excessively speeding while intoxicated it doesn't matter what school you went to, or who you're trying to support, you only have to fuck up once to kill yourself or someone else.

As a side note I have to ask, why do you have your N at 21?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2015, 03:48 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
+141km/s, drunk, without being able to see properly......you deserve any and all fines and penalties they can possibly throw at you.

Your not the scum of the earth, simply a moron who does not want to take responsibility for your actions and simply plays it off as a bad decision......if this is how you make bad decisions I would hate to see any other decisions you make.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2015, 06:31 AM   #19
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

you're a future doctor. get a good lawyer now because when you make another bad decision and literally kill someone at work you won't have to come to revscene asking for advice.

an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbdecisions View Post
Unfortunately, BAC level for 7N driver is 0. If this is your first offense and you have an otherwise clean record, then maybe you can talk your way out of it.

You'd be best to contact a lawyer. Unfortunately, to top things off, you have Excessive speeding.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #21
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

did you blow a warn or fail?

excessive speeding, HOV lane, contact lenses won't be the big issue... (you pay a fine, maybe get a 3-12 months license suspension)

impaired driving is the big deal and could leave a criminal record and screw up your life.
Check your tickets and court summon to make sure you weren't charged for DUI...I'd contact a criminal lawyer immediately if you were.

If the police just gave you a roadside suspension and not an impaired driving charge, go find a traffic paralegal and hopefully get your excessive speeding ticket reduced.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #22
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
Unfortunately, BAC level for 7N driver is 0. If this is your first offense and you have an otherwise clean record, then maybe you can talk your way out of it.

You'd be best to contact a lawyer. Unfortunately, to top things off, you have Excessive speeding.
don't think you can be charged with impaired driving criminally if you blow under 0.08mg/100ml (even if your license say 0mg/100ml. )

The criminal code is >.08, if you blew .06, you are just breaking your license restriction, not breaking the impaired driving criminal law.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #23
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I Like how some one new comes on, straight up admits he was being dumb, looks for a bit of direction, as us RS veterans just COMPLETELY SHIT ON HIM.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US on here has made a decision entirely out of a singular moment of dumbass-ery. So why don't we just give the kid the answer that he was looking for?

YOU'RE GONNA BE OK

My license has "corrective lenses required" That INCLUDES contacts. They are a LENS.

I did have a cop at a roadblock ask me and I just asked him to shine his flashlight in one of my eyes to check it out.

HOV Lane one is going to be OK too. If it was ok at 4AM, then it's cool.

The speeding and driving with BAC in your system are the 2 you won't get away with. Just take it on the chin like a man, and make sure you don't do it again.

You made a shitty judgement call. Like all people do. You didn't come here trying to get away with anything and for that, I applaud you. (A LOT of people come here to try and look for a "loophole").

As far as I've been informed, neither charges constitute as a indictable offence (serious doo-doos - correct me if I'm wrong, PO's). This is AT MOST a summary offence, which is the same thing given to you if someone wanted to charge you for shoplifting.

Relax. You'll be OK.

PS: Some of you guys on here need to learn how to read and comprehend the WHOLE post. Not just half.

Last edited by BallPeenHammer2; 08-09-2015 at 04:12 PM.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #24
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US on here has made a decision entirely out of a singular moment of dumbass-ery. So why don't we just give the kid the answer that he was looking for?
Thing is, OP made 3 stupid decisions all at the same time.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:08 PM   #25
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

-facepalm-
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote