REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 07-31-2015, 01:56 AM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Wide-angle photoshoot ideas / inspiration

Sup all. N00b/amateur here.

Currently shooting with a Nikon D7200... up until now I've been using an 18-300mm (f/6.3) and 35mm prime.

I recently added the Nikon DX 10-24mm wide angle to my camera bag. Not cheap, but I love shooting landscapes and have always loved super wide shots.

Anyway... now that I have the lens, the question is... What the hell should I take pictures of?

Seeking suggestions for shooting locations or subjects that would be good wide-angle practice. Open to either general ideas (ie. shoot cars/auto pics, airport at sunset, etc) or specific places locally (I'm in Vic).

Or maybe you have a few pics that could serve as inspiration / something to recreate (or at least, attempt to recreate)?

Thanks in advance, photography gods of RS.
Advertisement
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Having foreground elements goes a long way when shooting wide. I still haven't got this part down.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Having foreground elements goes a long way when shooting wide. I still haven't got this part down.
Yeah, so I've read, thx... I'm thinking I'll start with some car pics, seems like an obvious foreground element with the right backdrop and lighting.

Ideally I'd also like to learn how to shoot landscapes without foreground elements -- shit like the pic below. Maybe I just need to get out there and take a bunch of shots and see what turns out.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
Sup all. N00b/amateur here.

Currently shooting with a Nikon D7200... up until now I've been using an 18-300mm (f/6.3) and 35mm prime.

I recently added the Nikon DX 10-24mm wide angle to my camera bag. Not cheap, but I love shooting landscapes and have always loved super wide shots.

Anyway... now that I have the lens, the question is... What the hell should I take pictures of?

Seeking suggestions for shooting locations or subjects that would be good wide-angle practice. Open to either general ideas (ie. shoot cars/auto pics, airport at sunset, etc) or specific places locally (I'm in Vic).

Or maybe you have a few pics that could serve as inspiration / something to recreate (or at least, attempt to recreate)?

Thanks in advance, photography gods of RS.
Seeing you are in Vic

Go 48.422576, -123.368400 at night, facing the BC Legislature/Empress and knock yourself out.

That was my favorite spot for wide photo. You could go right after sunset on a partially cloudy day and you should get an effect like this with the clouds giving some drama to the composition:

Old 08-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
For DX, curious to hear why you went with the 10-24 instead of the much praised Tokina 11-16mm? Was it just because it was a "Nikon" instead of "3rd party" brand?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #6

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I was using a sigma wide angle for awhile on my DX. It was sharp as a tack, distortion was really minimal as well.

The tokina is a really nice lens as well.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Seeing you are in Vic

Go 48.422576, -123.368400 at night, facing the BC Legislature/Empress and knock yourself out.

That was my favorite spot for wide photo. You could go right after sunset on a partially cloudy day and you should get an effect like this with the clouds giving some drama to the composition:

Thanks man, I'll give that a shot for sure. Haven't mapped the coordinates yet, but I'm guessing you shot that pic from either the float plane docks along Wharf St, or from the Johnson St bridge?

Anyway, will check it out, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
For DX, curious to hear why you went with the 10-24 instead of the much praised Tokina 11-16mm? Was it just because it was a "Nikon" instead of "3rd party" brand?
Yeah, that probably played a role in my decision if I'm honest, haha. The Nikon got pretty good reviews so I didn't really look at other options very seriously.

I also really wanted that extra 1mm (even if the edges get a bit less sharp at 10mm, I want to be able to shoot as wide as possible).

And lastly, I like having the ability to shoot at more reasonable focal lengths without having to switch lenses. 24mm is a lot more usable in a pinch than 16mm. We've all been there before, fumbling around trying to swap lenses quickly before the subject runs off or the opportunity passes...

(Fuck it... if I made the wrong choice, please don't tell me, ignorance is bliss )
Old 08-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #8

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Thanks man, I'll give that a shot for sure. Haven't mapped the coordinates yet, but I'm guessing you shot that pic from either the float plane docks along Wharf St, or from the Johnson St bridge?

Anyway, will check it out, thanks for the suggestion.
It's right by the Visitor Centre actually, if you mapped it, it would bring you onto Government st.

The interesting thing about that particular location is that you can get up high (next to visitor centre) or down low near the water (below Milestone). So it allows you to experiment different perspective of the same scene. And depending on the amount of boats in place (amount of visible water), it would give you another sight as well.