REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:40 AM   #26
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,192 Times in 2,274 Posts
I guess this could be relevant here..

Bauer opened their own retail outlet

https://imgur.com/a/wIw3e
Advertisement
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 10:58 AM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Budong View Post
I guess this could be relevant here..

Bauer opened their own retail outlet

https://imgur.com/a/wIw3e
Yea that store is amazing
It even has its own mini rink and Zamboni

I don't forsee pro hockey life taking it to that level in vancouver, but definitely possible in the future for a store in Eastern Canada.
There is just simply a much larger market there.

I was talking to a csuite executive a few months back, and while there is no plans of global expansion at the moment, but PHL is a brand that potentially can work globally.
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #28
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Yea that store is amazing
It even has its own mini rink and Zamboni
I'll admit, the mini rink is a neat idea. But I would have no desire to shop in a store that is specific to one brand. Bauer makes nice gear, and I love my goalie skates. But I own set of Brians, a set of Vaughn, and 2 sets of Reebok pads. I rotate through two sets of Vaughn catcher/blocker combos, and am currently in love with Ballpeenhammer's Warrior glove set. My mask is an Eddy, while my sticks are Bauer only.

The point is that I wouldn't have had the chance to try out different gear if not for a shop that carries all of the brands. I can only imagine how frustrated I would be by getting stuck with Bauer hands. I have to say, I'm not a fan.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I'll admit, the mini rink is a neat idea. But I would have no desire to shop in a store that is specific to one brand. Bauer makes nice gear, and I love my goalie skates. But I own set of Brians, a set of Vaughn, and 2 sets of Reebok pads. I rotate through two sets of Vaughn catcher/blocker combos, and am currently in love with Ballpeenhammer's Warrior glove set. My mask is an Eddy, while my sticks are Bauer only.

The point is that I wouldn't have had the chance to try out different gear if not for a shop that carries all of the brands. I can only imagine how frustrated I would be by getting stuck with Bauer hands. I have to say, I'm not a fan.
Other brands should just step their game up.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #30
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
this. but bauer spends so much $$ on marketing too. CCM is a close second

now if Bauer would release those G3 profile sticks to the public dammit.....
Old 08-18-2015, 07:13 PM   #31

Quote:
this. but bauer spends so much $$ on marketing too. CCM is a close second

I'd say both companies spend quite a bit on marketing but Bauer just makes good products. Look at how many NHL rookies/call ups wear Reebok/CCM and then ditch it once they earn a roster spot.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:40 PM   #32
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I'm not a huge fan of Bauer goalie gear. For years it's been bland and horrid. Their gloves up until the recent release of the new Reactor 9000/7000/5000 line has been crap. I don't even bother trying them because it's so horribly made. The blockers though I like quite a lot. At the moment, only thing I have are skates and a stick. Even the stick is just experimental.

Their masks aren't versatile enough to fit all head sizes. Durability is 50/50 (titanium cages recalled due to cracking and BLINDING people). The C/A's are just regurgitated crap from the earlier years. None of them feel any good, craftsmanship is poor and flexibility is terrible.

They're big. But they have so much CRAP on the market. Some seemingly made just to take up shelf space. It really turned me off of a lot of their products.

As for OH: I'm glad my gloves got you the wins and good in the playoffs. KICK SOME ASS MAN!

Just make sure I actually get them back after my return from injury please....LOL
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:11 AM   #33

Bauer had a pretty solid stable of goalies in the 90s but their style was becoming obsolete and Bauer didn't jump on the same boat that Reebok did (something they actually did right.)

As for the masks, anything off-shore is crap IMO. You go into local shops nowadays and they're filled with these widowmakers. Yes it's harder to find a decent Canadian-made mask that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (especially with Eddy and Hackva gone) but the goalies that want a solid mask will make an effort to get it.

With Bauer I just think they lack a sense of direction in their goal department. Their new cowling doesn't really make sense. The design is flawed with no toe protection and the trigger may be interfered with by the boot strap. They really need somebody to steer their goaltending department in the right direction. Look at all the wonders Pete Smith did for Warrior.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #34
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the G3 flex profile is essentially what's in the Nexus series.

And forgive my off-topic-ness.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #35
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
If only it was that simple.....

This is Brians factory.

It doesn't look to me like they're swimming in marketing cash like Bauer and the Adidas family are.

The point I'm trying to make is that marketing doesn't make you a better goalie, better gear does. So for every dollar that Bauer spends on a fancy store in some shitty mall in suburban Minnesota, that's one less dollar that goes to goaltending.

By the way, Bauer did $197.1-million in revenue last year with $22.6-million in profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
As for OH: I'm glad my gloves got you the wins and good in the playoffs. KICK SOME ASS MAN!

Just make sure I actually get them back after my return from injury please....LOL
hahaha, no problem at all man!
I appreciate you letting me try the stuff out. I didn't want to make the change, but now that I have I can't fathom going back to Vaughn.

Have no fear, I have kept up on cleaning, drying, and maintenance. And Cam is going to hook me up with my own set soon.

Thanks man!
Old 08-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #36

I'm certain CCM/Reebok and Warrior have the resources to do something about it but haven't done so. I've heard CCM is in talks with local shops who have had their toes stepped on by these Bauer Experience Stores to make their products more prominent in-store but that's about it.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #37
they call me the snowman

I've always had good luck with my Reebok/CCM gear. But they would have to pay me a big chunk of money to wear their gear. I've never really "loved" a piece of Reebok gear. It's like the Chevy of the hockey world, while Bauer is like Ford.

That said, I could be like many of the pros and stick with my brand of pads, but with a CCM skin.
Since goalies (and hockey players) are a bunch who tend to stick with what they like, you never know what they could actually be wearing.

Quote:
paul szabo says:

October 18, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Reply to BZNS:

You are absolutely right about Brodeur. They call this “reskinning” but in fact it actually means building a new pad copied off the old one (not simply sewing new clarino on top of the old pad foam); all he did was put a bit more thigh rise on it. And it doesn’t matter what “skin” they put on it, it is the same DR Maxima pad. Imagine that he doesn’t even have knee stacks in his pads, nor a flat inner calf wing to slide on. His style is such that he doesn’t seem to need it. He is a good example of a star goalie who doesn’t need all kinds of top secret equipment mods to be the best. In the past he has spoken out against other goalies whom he thought were going way overboard with pad height, chest protectors that looked like sheets of plywood etc.

I also think wonder if there isn’t a bit of hypocrisy in this business of reskinning. It certainly proves that equipment companies are more concerned about the their name being seen than the goalie actually wearing the real equipment. It would be interesting to ask Brodeur if he has any issues with “misleading” the public as it were.
That was in interesting comment by ingoal contributor Paul Szabo. I bring this up because last month at the hockey shop we were going over pro returns. I was shocked as to how many pieces of equipment were CCM skinned, but actually Vaughn blockers. I mention blockers because they're so easily recognizable. Brodeur and Thomas were notorious for this the last few years.

Then there are the OD1N pads from Bauer. I only know of one person who has seen and touched these pads in person, and he says they're more Brians Subzero than they are Bauer.

I mean, just look at these things!

Look at that thigh rise. It's very different than what Bauer has been doing for years.

Foam core, calf wrap, smart straps, it's all Subzero.

Except the knee stack. But this is an old pic, and that could have changed too.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #38
retired

I'm on the same boat as you guys. As much as I love my Bauer skates, I really don't like anything else in their lineup. Their masks aren't the best, and if you are like me, playing beer league, CSA/HECC certs aren't as important. Plenty of smaller companies that make far better masks, at a fraction of the cost because they don't need to go through CSA stuff.

Bauer store would be interesting to see, but I wouldn't be doing any serious shopping there, as Hypa said, it's no good when you cant try on other products to compare etc.

Now granted, I've never tried any Bauer pads on the ice, so I cant compare. But just having them on in the store, and I wasn't pleased at all. This is just my personal opinion of course.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2015, 11:09 PM   #39
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the G3 flex profile is essentially what's in the Nexus series.

And forgive my off-topic-ness.
yes, but not close enough. apparently, the 1N is going to be the closest thing to one

I can't really explain, but I like the way the stick feels compared to all the other sticks I've tried. A G3 stick with that one95 blade.. i feel everythingggg
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #40
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenosan View Post
Now granted, I've never tried any Bauer pads on the ice, so I cant compare. But just having them on in the store, and I wasn't pleased at all. This is just my personal opinion of course.
I have tried a couple of Bauer pads on the ice through demos and trying buddie's gear, etc. Bauer is non offensive, they make a solid product, and they have good representation. They're a lot like Ford. Bauer is the Ford of the hockey world!

On that note, CCM is Toyota, Warrior is Hyundai, and Brians would be Tesla. Unique, and purchased by egotistical douches.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #41
retired

I wear Hyundai pads?

But I see your comparison. Warrior was not doing too much in their goalie department until the addition of Pete Smith.

So based on this analogy, Hyundai Pony = Warrior Messiahs
Hyundai Genesis - Warrior Rituals?

lol
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #42
they call me the snowman

Hahaha, indeed.
I had to borrow Hyundai gloves to go with my tesla pads, Ford skates and Pontiac mask.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #43
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
yes, but not close enough. apparently, the 1N is going to be the closest thing to one

I can't really explain, but I like the way the stick feels compared to all the other sticks I've tried. A G3 stick with that one95 blade.. i feel everythingggg
I loved my One95 sticks. Too bad the blades became wet noodles after a few months of constant beer league abuse.
Currently, my Nexus 1000 has held up well but after 1 winter and 1 summer season, the blade is starting to go limp.

I still have brand new APX2 and CCM Tacks and a Tone LE to break in. Guess I won't be buying any new sticks any time soon.

I love OH's comment. Pontiac mask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #44
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Anybody been to the new pro hockey life in tsawassen mills yet? How is it?
2013 Lexus GS350 AWD ~Sold
2016 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited ~Sold
2017 Mitsubishi Lancer Black Edition ~Sold
2018 Mercedes C43 ~Sold
2005 Infiniti FX45 ~Sold
2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si ~Sold
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B ~Sold
2003 Acura RSX Type S ~Sold
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
Anybody been to the new pro hockey life in tsawassen mills yet? How is it?
Great looking store. Although the pricing is similar to Sportchek, the buying experience is different. Sportchek has signage to discourage customers from even stickhandling in the store whereas Pro Hockey Life installed a Rapid Shot machine. Being able to actually demo the stick and have measurable results can definitely help players make an informed decision between sticks.

I'd probably avoid the service department for a while though. I dropped by yesterday and a couple guys were just learning how to sharpen. Interesting how they use Blademaster machines at PHL but Blackstone at Sportchek though. Blackstone sucks.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #46
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,919 Times in 1,867 Posts
PHL way too far. Source for Sport is good enough for average minor league player which is probably 80% of market and they have lots of convenient location with great prices, sales, personal service, and blow out/clearance items. Unless PHL puts up more bricks and mortor real fast.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote