REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #26
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Thank you,

Two other questions.

1)- What do you do when an examiner asks you to do something which you think is unsafe or would constitute a mistake at the time?
E.g. Ten seconds into my exam I was driving on the right of a two lane two way road, with right lane only going ahead and left for turning left only. At the intersection there was a bus loop. Just as we were approaching the solid white line, the exmr told me to turn left, I checked my rear and side view mirror, there was a car in my blind spot, more behind it, and the solid white line was approaching. I lost it for a moment, and turned left at the intersection from my right line. He immediately booked me for illegal and dangerous turn? Shouldn't he have told at least a little before that, rather than when I am right at the intersection?

2)- I was asked to turn right on a main road with two lanes each side. On the immediate right lane which I had to turn into a bus was stopping so I would have ended up behind it, Instead I checked for no traffic and turned safely into the lane beside the bus. Yes I did turn into a different lane, but there was only one right turn lane on the through road that I originally turned from. Should I have not turned into a different lane and just waited behind the bus? The examiner I believe marked it as a wide turn.

Thank you again for your responses.
Advertisement
dunadain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #27
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,466 Times in 190 Posts
They make you merge from Fremont Village onto Lougheed Highway at the Poco location. It's a pretty short merge and lot of traffic from the bridge so pick a non rush hour time. Good luck
Old 08-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #28
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunadain View Post
Thank you,

Two other questions.

1)- What do you do when an examiner asks you to do something which you think is unsafe or would constitute a mistake at the time?
E.g. Ten seconds into my exam I was driving on the right of a two lane two way road, with right lane only going ahead and left for turning left only. At the intersection there was a bus loop. Just as we were approaching the solid white line, the exmr told me to turn left, I checked my rear and side view mirror, there was a car in my blind spot, more behind it, and the solid white line was approaching. I lost it for a moment, and turned left at the intersection from my right line. He immediately booked me for illegal and dangerous turn? Shouldn't he have told at least a little before that, rather than when I am right at the intersection?

2)- I was asked to turn right on a main road with two lanes each side. On the immediate right lane which I had to turn into a bus was stopping so I would have ended up behind it, Instead I checked for no traffic and turned safely into the lane beside the bus. Yes I did turn into a different lane, but there was only one right turn lane on the through road that I originally turned from. Should I have not turned into a different lane and just waited behind the bus? The examiner I believe marked it as a wide turn.

Thank you again for your responses.
The instructor "should" give you reasonable time/space to make a decision. They are not trying to set you up to fail. If your instructor asks you to do something and it is not safe to do so, don't force and it and acknowledge that to your instructor. There is always another route.

Regarding your first question I would've just made a turn on the next street and let the instructor know it was not unsafe to perform the action. This happened twice during my exams, no points deducted as far as I know.

Second question, I would've just stayed behind the bus unless instructed to do otherwise. Definitely hug the curb lane after making a right turn at an intersection.

Each road test has an allotted amount of time before they need to return so traffic can be your friend.

Class 7 - Burnaby
Class 5 - Langley
Class 6 - Surrey
vo_hantu is offline   Reply With Quote