REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 08-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Gaming PC

Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting a gaming computer again but I've been out of the game for a long time being with apple. I'm looking to spend around $1000. Run the graphics at medium-high and play games like the new battlefront and battlefield.
Here are some that I have found and seeing what your suggestions you may have. Another is building from scratch but again I would like to know what would work best and with possible upgrades in the future.

Thanks!

Asus ROG GR8 SFF Gaming PC w/ Core i7-4510U, 8GB, 1TB, GeForce GTX 750 Ti, Win 8.1, Keyboard, Mouse at Memory Express

CyberpowerPC Desktop Computer Gamer Ultra 2098-W10 AMD FX-Series FX-4300 (3.80GHz) 8GB DDR3 500GB HDD Windows 10 Home 64-bit - Newegg.ca
Advertisement
rsx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:28 PM   #2
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
build from scratch = best
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #3
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
build from scratch = best
This.

And if you're on a budget, finding deals and buying different components from craigslist will save you a bunch of money!

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
maybe starting here would help

http://www.revscene.net/forums/65433...hread-167.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Build from scratch and TUNE it!!! 
Oops, I mean overclock it!!!
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #6
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

i think you can do much better if you DIY
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I also suggest making an account on the NCIX forums. More computer savvy guys there who can directly link you the NCIX products that you need to make sure your DIY build works.

Also, if you plan for future upgrades, are you planning to do so within 2-3 years?
From personal experience, I tend to upgrade every 5 years, and technology moves so quickly... I built my computer "for future upgrades" in mind,
but when it came time to upgrade, nothing modern was compatible, so I had to end up rebuilding from scratch again.

So the extra money I spent initially on a system that was more open for "future upgrades" ended up being a waste.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Definitely DIY, it's the only way to go. Aside from being the more cost-effective option, it also teaches you all the inner workings of a computer so that if something ever goes or something needs fixing or replacing, you'll know where everything is!
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2015, 11:13 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I have a Sager laptop from 2 years ago, and it's still a beast

If you have a less tight budget, I'd recommend Sager through xoticpc or a custom desktop from Xidax
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2015, 11:46 PM   #10
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
once you get your build going or need help with it, i also suggest tomshardware forum. the guys over there have been a great help to me when i built my comp from scratch.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 12:13 AM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Asus ROG is no no, mobile CPU, 2 gen behind GPU... unless if you really need that slim form factor.

if you are not sure, just stop by Memory Express or NCIX, and talk to the guys there.
you can pick up a lot from just talking to them.
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 12:49 AM   #12
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com is a great resource.

You can pick out the parts you want (and it shows you the price history and trends - though it is somewhat limited to certain retailers) and it also makes sure everything is compatible.

It basically creates a checklist/template and you just fill in the blanks with what you want.

If you don't know where to start, it also has other people's builds that you can copy or get ideas from.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 05:51 AM   #13
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
I would just give the money to Razor Ramon HG on here and let him build you one lol, dude did an amazing job on my build

everything you need to know is in here http://www.revscene.net/forums/65433...hread-167.html

also Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker Canada is amazing
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 06:44 AM   #14
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
[...]

Also, if you plan for future upgrades, are you planning to do so within 2-3 years?
From personal experience, I tend to upgrade every 5 years, and technology moves so quickly... I built my computer "for future upgrades" in mind,
but when it came time to upgrade, nothing modern was compatible, so I had to end up rebuilding from scratch again.

So the extra money I spent initially on a system that was more open for "future upgrades" ended up being a waste.
I agree here. After 2 to 3 years, upgrade components for your current system are discontinued or phrased-out. You basically need to build a new system to "upgrade". However, I tend to upgrade my video cards twice as quickly as the CPU. I find video cards become the bottle neck after a couple of years.

For example, I built an Intel i7 920 system in '08, and I didn't replace that with an Intel i7 4930k system until '13. During those five years, I went from a Nvidia Geforce 285 to 690 and now 780.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #15
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
this used to be true, but I found the PC tech didn't really improve/change much in the past 5-6 years...

PC I built 6 years ago still performing well with easy ugprade (+SSD and DDR3 memory, video card)
The 6 years old CPU (AMD X4 965) is still performing as well as mid range CPU today.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #16
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
I would just give the money to Razor Ramon HG on here and let him build you one lol, dude did an amazing job on my build

everything you need to know is in here http://www.revscene.net/forums/65433...hread-167.html

also Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker Canada is amazing
I just sold my i7-4790K build. Too bad you didn't post this thread up earlier because I definitely could've hooked you up.

OP, PM me if you want some help with a build. I can whip you up a parts list.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #17
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
this used to be true, but I found the PC tech didn't really improve/change much in the past 5-6 years...

PC I built 6 years ago still performing well with easy ugprade (+SSD and DDR3 memory, video card)
The 6 years old CPU (AMD X4 965) is still performing as well as mid range CPU today.
My first build was in dec 2006. My current build is from Nov 2012.
(lol, I remember the months, cause boxing day and black friday)

Maybe so... I believe during those years, that's when they transitioned from IDE to SATA. My Mobo had extra Ram slots for DDR2 RAM, which obviously got phased out. Extra PCI-e ports for Crossfire setup... but almost impossible to find my video card a few years later.

I guess it really is luck of the draw, as some technology can last longer, or be more backward compatible.

I guess what I mean is to be thankful if your computer can still use the parts in the future, but don't weigh in too much on deciding a part just because it sounds more "futureproof" in theory.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #18
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
I have a Sager laptop from 2 years ago, and it's still a beast

If you have a less tight budget, I'd recommend Sager through xoticpc or a custom desktop from Xidax
Rocking a Clevo W230SS at the moment. Ain't nothing better than a portable 13.3" notebook capable that can run my Source games maxed out.

Quote:

I would say your 965 is equivalent to about a $80 G3258 depending on the title.

The 965 is a very weak processor by today's standards and bottlenecks a majority of the higher end video cards (GTX 960 and higher). An entry level i3 would trash it hands down.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #19
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:

I'm in the same boat as you. Current PC was put together in 2010 with an AMD X4 630, upgraded video card 2 years ago, ram and SSD a year ago. It's still flying like I just got it. Though I am considering of turning my current setup to a Media player/NAS/BT server and build a new PC.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #20
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Wow lots of Phenom X4 965BE users eh, I'm still using one OC'd to 4.0GHz in my gaming rig paired with a 7950, can run most new games maxed out at 1080p if not close to maxed out, such a tank of a CPU! Probably won't upgrade until I really need to, will move to an FX8350 or something.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #21
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Thank you all for your advice and especially Razor for helping me with a build.
rsx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

A few resources for you to look at.
Partpicker was already mentioned.
Logical Increments - PC Buying Guide - organized chart to give you an idea of best bang for buck in a price range.
ChooseMyPC.net | Cookie Cutter PC Build Generator - If you're feeling very lazy, let the computer build you a computer.
Best Graphics Cards for the Money: June 2015 - Best graphics cards in their respective price points.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote