REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Jon Bon Jovi wins at life. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704945-jon-bon-jovi-wins-life.html)

Soundy 08-20-2015 08:24 AM

Jon Bon Jovi wins at life.

So, promoter books a Jon Bon Jovi & The Kings of Suburbia show to happen in Stanley Park this Saturday.

Promoter fucks up royally and goes bankrupt less than a week before the show.

Fans can't get refunds because there's no money.

Jon steps up, books Rogers Arena last-minute, and will honor all the tickets already sold. Probably playing for free and paying everything out of his own pocket, at this point.

:accepted::fuckyea:

GabAlmighty 08-20-2015 08:27 AM

Wow. Last I heard on the radio he was going to be doing a private show for 200 people that are a part of some club or something.

But, what he's gone ahead and done himself is pretty epic. Good on him!

GLOW 08-20-2015 08:47 AM

source

Cancelled Jon Bon Jovi concert rescheduled for Rogers Arena | CTV Vancouver News

Quote:

Fans of the legendary rocker Jon Bon Jovi no longer have to feel shot through the heart over the cancellation of his open-air concert in Stanley Park.
The artist’s management announced Thursday morning the show will go on, and his performance has been rescheduled for Saturday night at Rogers Arena.
The show is open to all fans that purchased tickets to first concert. Ticket holders are being advised to bring their tickets to Rogers Arena and they will be assigned seating based on the ticket level previously purchased.

Bon Jovi addresses Bills controversy

No additional tickets will be sold.
In a statement, Bon Jovi Management says Paper Rain Performances, the promoter for the initial show, “has perpetuated confusion and misinformation” after news of the last-minute show cancellation.
Paper Rain filed for bankruptcy Wednesday, blaming the rock star’s management and lackluster ticket sales. In response, Bon Jovi Tours said the promoter was incapable of staging the actual show, saying they failed to procure stage materials or pay for lighting and security.
“Through it all, it has been Jon’s main concern that he find a way to make good on that promoter’s failed attempt to put on the show. Finally, the stage is set and we can confidently announce that all proper pieces are in place for a great show,” Paul Korzilius of Bon Jovi Management said.
Vancouver is a special city for the artist, who recorded three albums in the City of Glass, he added.
Korzilius said the task of relocating the concert could not have been possible without the support of Rogers Arena and Tourism Vancouver.
“As we said on Monday, Jon has always been willing, able and excited to perform on Saturday – now it’s real,” he said.
Doors for the show open at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, and the performance will begin at 8:00 p.m.

murd0c 08-20-2015 08:48 AM

I just read the article about it. Roger's arena and tourism Vancouver stepped up so I have a feeling he's not paying for the venue and the arena will make profit from the food/booze sales.

What a top notch move by everything since a number of people are flying in from around the world to see him live.

GLOW 08-20-2015 08:53 AM

from the article sounds like the promoter is trying to 100% throw Jon & his management under the bus when it sounds like the promoter themselves couldn't get their shit together.

dat_steve 08-20-2015 09:00 AM

the promotions company was on global this morning - dodged all questions relating to how/if fans would get their money. pretty cringey segment as the anchor grilled him for a while before time ran out lol

Hondaracer 08-20-2015 09:02 AM

All these Pop up promo companies run shit completely half ass

Deighton cup/dinner en blanc are prime examples, people don't know wtf they are doing

GLOW 08-20-2015 09:09 AM

so are these promoters running it frat party style where they hire band, sell tickets hoping it covers cost + profit, but quickly realize tickets can't cover cost of band and other shit required to run an event, and then file for bankruptcy to protect their assets?

white rocket 08-20-2015 09:11 AM

Really cool stuff. He's already winning at life with his "donation" restaurant which pretty much restores faith in humanity every day!

melloman 08-20-2015 09:18 AM

Damn, yeah last I had heard he was only playing for 200 VIP ticket holders ($2000/vip ticket) but this is awesome.

:tears:

pastarocket 08-20-2015 09:20 AM

:fuckyea: Awesome! Bon Jovi is the man!

-have been listening to his band's greatest hits collection for the past week:

bcedhk 08-20-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dat_steve (Post 8672702)
the promotions company was on global this morning - dodged all questions relating to how/if fans would get their money. pretty cringey segment as the anchor grilled him for a while before time ran out lol

any link of the clip?

dragondragon99 08-20-2015 10:04 AM

i could win at life too

GLOW 08-20-2015 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcedhk (Post 8672722)
any link of the clip?

i couldn't find it but i was trying to search for it and found this regarding a VIP show. the promoter is sounding pretty shady

Jon Bon Jovi announces small VIP show in Vancouver | CTV Vancouver News

Quote:

But that show, which will have an audience of just 175 people, has nothing to do with the massive concert organized by Paper Rain Performances that was called off this week just days in advance.

Despite that fact, Paper Rain sent an email to ticketholders on Tuesday that left many fans under the mistaken impression that their tickets will be honoured this weekend.
“Congratulations!” the email read. “Paper Rain Performances applauds the news that… Jon Bon Jovi will be coming to Vancouver on August 22nd to honour all of the ticket holders disappointed by yesterday’s postponement of the Stanley Park concert.”
“We are delighted by Jon’s unwavering support to his loyal fans. Bravo Jon Bon Jovi!”
Runaway Tours responded with a miffed-sounding message on its Facebook page clarifying that the VIP show, which will be performed acoustic at a yet-unannounced venue, is its own separate event.
It also described the email from Paper Rain as “NOT accurate.”
“They have no affiliation with Runaway Tours nor the right to send the email they sent. Sorry for the confusion but this event is NOT open to the public or replacing the originally scheduled show,” the company wrote.

The pricey Runaway Tours packages, which are sold out, include show tickets, a three-night hotel accommodation at the Westin Bayshore, a party cruise, and the promise of a question and answer session with Bon Jovi.
For now, fans who purchased cheaper seats appear to be out luck.
The question of refunds for Saturday’s cancelled concert also remains unanswered, and numerous calls from CTV News to Paper Rain Performances have not been returned.
“I’m out $800 dollars,” Bon Jovi fan Tamara Warner said. “Paper Rain hasn’t said anything to the ticket [holders].”
The promoter has insisted its outdoor concert has only been postponed, but no alternative date has been set and Bon Jovi has not agreed to appear.
Tickets to the event, which are no longer on sale, ranged from $39 for grass seating all the way to $595 for VIP experiences with food and shuttle service.
Paper Rain hasn’t said why the Stanley Park show was cancelled, but the Vancouver Park Board confirmed the promoter never paid for the permits required to stage the concert.
Bon Jovi’s touring company also alleged the promoter hasn't for staging, security and lighting vendors.
“The band was ready and willing to give a great performance on Saturday,” a spokesperson said in a statement on Monday. “Unfortunately, the local promoter, Paper Rain Performances has proven unable to guarantee a properly-produced event.”

Soundy 08-20-2015 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 25541

StylinRed 08-20-2015 10:33 AM

Thanks to the news really, they kept bringing up the story everyday that Jon was only going to play a small concert for those who bought tickets through his own promo company ($$$$ tickets)

glad he stepped up though

Zedbra 08-20-2015 10:48 AM

I like hearing stories like this, when it isn't always 'all about the money'. He's a good man in my eyes.

Great68 08-20-2015 04:09 PM

Good man. Too bad I can't stand his music.

Ulic Qel-Droma 08-20-2015 05:06 PM

My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way!!!

Great68 08-20-2015 05:25 PM

I swear to god, the millisecond I hear that opening "BOW BOW" riff on that stupid song it's like an impulse reaction for my arm to reach over and change the fucking radio station.

Soundy 08-20-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dat_steve (Post 8672702)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8672704)
so are these promoters running it frat party style where they hire band, sell tickets hoping it covers cost + profit, but quickly realize tickets can't cover cost of band and other shit required to run an event, and then file for bankruptcy to protect their assets?

Here's the way Bruce Allen explained it this morning:

Normally with a ticket company like TicketMaster, they won't release any money from the sales to the promoter until EVERYTHING is in place for the show, which means the promoter has to be able to foot all the costs up front, and if things go south, the ticket seller isn't left short and unable to provide refunds.

In this case though, ticket sales were handled by Tourism Vancouver, who normally just sell tickets for things like the Capilano Suspension Bridge. The promoters took a bunch of advances on the sales from them to help cover costs, but either couldn't organize everything properly, or didn't get all the necessary permits, or in some combination of ways showed their inexperience, so essentially the whole thing was falling apart.

Bruce never got into their claims that JBJ's management "wouldn't work with them", but did mention that they hadn't been paid yet, and one tends to suspect that by "work with them", Paper Rain was trying to get JBJ to commit to playing without any kind of deposit or advance. PR's first claim when things started going sideways was that the concert was being "postponed", so maybe they were trying to sort all that out, or maybe they were just stalling.

But as Bruce also pointed out, a concert in a park is a HUGE logistical nightmare - you need fences, water, power, port-a-potties, parking, etc. in addition to the artist's requirements.

Anyway, sounds like everyone stepped up to make it happen - the artist, the venue, etc. The way Bruce talked about JBJ, sounds like he carries a lot of good will with him in the industry, which made everyone else glad to hop on board.

Bruce was pretty clear, he didn't really have anything to do with it going ahead, other than getting word out in the industry, to the point that the story even made Billboard... no doubt, the chance for some good exposure had something to do with everyone coming to the plate. He also noted that a lot of these people are glad to do something like this just to get a photo op with the artist, something they can frame and put on their desk :)

Anyway, you can probably find all this on CKNW's channel on Soundcloud - Bruce was on with Sean Leslie this morning, and again with Simi Sara in the afternoon.

Sentinel 08-20-2015 06:40 PM

So would this count as a 'random act of kindness'?

Good for Bon Jovi for stepping in. Unlike the douche bag Kanye West a few years ago, bailing out twice.

Mikoyan 08-20-2015 09:15 PM

Allegedly, the CEO has done this before. Bon Jovi concert promoter sued in 2007 for cancelling KISS concert days before show

2007, KISS sued his company at the time for a outdoor concert that got cancelled. Kiss lost in court though.

"While MacDonald says he and his company won the legal action against McGhee Touring and Kiss, this was not the first nor the last time he cancelled a major entertainment event at the last minute.

According to a Pique article from 2001, an event called ‘Cabin Fever’ produced by Shout Entertainment, a major summer event known to be the sister attraction to ‘Altitude’, Whistler’s LGBTQ ski week, was also cancelled just a few weeks before it was set to happen. MacDonald served as President of Shout Entertainment at the time."

GLOW 08-21-2015 06:36 AM

Quote:

In a similar fashion, MacDonald blamed Tourism Whistler, calling them an “arrogant bunch of people” for declining to help fund the concert when asked only two months in advance. In the fall out, MacDonald claimed he asked earlier, but Tourism Whistler said their budget is set by November every year and MacDonald was too late.
:yuno: gib me moneeez...i cancel...all your fault!!!

Soundy 08-22-2015 10:46 PM

Review: Jon Bon Jovi writes another piece of Vancouver history