REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Unsanctioned street party on Commercial Drive tonight! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704966-unsanctioned-street-party-commercial-drive-tonight.html)

Presto 08-21-2015 11:33 AM

Unsanctioned street party on Commercial Drive tonight!

Quote:

Vancouver police say they are prepared for another unsanctioned street party set for Friday night on Commercial Drive.

“We don’t want to have residents wake up the next morning to garbage on the street and damage in their neighbourhood.”

Violence ended a similar event in May, organized by the same group.

That time, thousands of protesters and revellers were sent home after one person was stabbed and three people were arrested.

VPD Sgt. Randy Fincham says tonight’s response will be proportionate to what happens, given organizers’ refusal to work together.

“On numerous occasions we did reach out to organizers in an attempt to have them share their plans with us, so we could provide services and provide a safe event for them this evening. Unfortunately, they haven’t responded to those requests, and they’re refusing to cooperate with the police, as well as the city.”

Fincham says business owners and neighbours have been clear: They do not want this event to go ahead.
CKNW
Looks like this is the event page on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/events/558077314331675/

Quote:

The Commercial Drive Street Party is organized by individuals who take issue with the fact that the Vancouver Police Department and the City of Vancouver don’t allow people to host public events without granted permission. Although the streets are supposedly “public” spaces, accessible to all, the city continues to insist that we must pay to use it.

The VPD recently issued a statement warning that they will go after the organizers of “unlawful” events to cover policing costs. Thousands of dollars are required to secure a permit for any public event in this city, and applicants are routinely waitlisted for years on end—if not downright denied.

We do not want to live somewhere where we can't use public space. We do not need a license to dance, to listen to music, to gather freely. Our hope is that those in attendance will be inspired to organize their own events, and will begin to conceptualize the potential of an act as simple as being in the street.

We heard from many people that they had never experienced such a joyful, communal atmosphere in all of their time spent in Vancouver, a city notorious for the isolation experienced by its residents. The thousands of people in attendance at the first Commercial Drive Street Party proved that events like this are wanted by a huge amount of Vancouver residents. It is apparent that there is a desire to foster a sense of community in the public spaces of this city.

THE EVENT

Beginning at roughly 7:00pm on August 21st, we will be gathering in Grandview Park, at Commercial Drive between Charles Street and William Street. Food will be available in both vegetarian and meat options. Everything will be free; no one is interested in financially profiting from this event. Music will be played throughout the evening, culminating in a late night dance party on the streets.

While we don’t supply alcohol or encourage public consumption of it, we also don’t support policing the activities of others. We encourage everyone to exercise their own judgment in deciding what they should or should not partake in. We only ask that you respect the safety of everyone around you, above all else. It's up to all of us to keep each other safe. The success of this party will only be possible if we work together and exercise responsibility.

A recurring concern from some residents of the is cleanup. We ask that everyone make an effort to leave no trace of their presence, and to take away what they bring. Although we will do our part to leave the neighbourhood in the state we found it in (or better), we ask that others pitch in as well.

We encourage as many people as possible to take the initiative to contribute to the evening. Get together with your friends and organize, whether you are picking up a bit of trash, handing out water, or making sure others get home safe.

SEE YOU IN THE STREETS!

This event is taking part in occupied and unceded Coast Salish territories.
:rukidding:

I know where I won't be tonight!

6o4__boi 08-21-2015 11:35 AM

multicartual 08-21-2015 12:01 PM

All straight white males must check their privilege before entering the park!!!

Traum 08-21-2015 12:12 PM

So lemme get this straight -- this group is organizing this unsanctioned "street party" as a form of civil disobedience because the city and the PD don't allow people to host public events without granted permission? FailFish

yray 08-21-2015 12:16 PM

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...jpg?1308731195

GLOW 08-21-2015 12:23 PM

reading posts on fb page. is dan wallace a good representation of the personalities and POV of people attending?

and is that you multi trolling him? Kappa :lol

7seven 08-21-2015 12:36 PM

What a bunch of idiots, I really hope all the individuals involved in organizing this get fined and/or arrested. How difficult is it to see the logic reason behind requiring permits to hold organized events on public spaces, issues with scheduling/multiple groups wanting to use space at same time, clean up costs, security costs and insurance/liability concerns, blocking of city streets to others, etc...

Hondaracer 08-21-2015 12:38 PM

Hmm may check er' out!

StylinRed 08-21-2015 12:42 PM

I can understand their message, it's really not a bad one, but i can also see how this will end up as a total clusterfuck, and so should they

Hot Karl 08-21-2015 12:43 PM

where can i buy stinkbombs nowadays?

meme405 08-21-2015 12:46 PM

Quote:

Although the streets are supposedly “public” spaces, accessible to all, the city continues to insist that we must pay to use it.
This is as far as you need to read to realize how dumb this entire premise is.

Yes the streets are public spaces, FOR CARS TO TRAVEL, not for you to throw a party you monkey.

If you want to close down a street, it costs money, that goes to things like traffic management, security, etc.

It's the same thing for construction you need to get a permit to use a lane of the road to erect a crane, or store a garbage bin. Or if you need to close a part of a street to get something done, then there is a lot of hoops you have to jump through to get that done.

Quote:

We heard from many people that they had never experienced such a joyful, communal atmosphere in all of their time spent in Vancouver, a city notorious for the isolation experienced by its residents. The thousands of people in attendance at the first Commercial Drive Street Party proved that events like this are wanted by a huge amount of Vancouver residents. It is apparent that there is a desire to foster a sense of community in the public spaces of this city.
This paragraph was also awesome, because I'm sure if you ask the 3 people who got stabbed the last time around they would tell you that it was the worst.

God damn hippies.

6o4__boi 08-21-2015 12:52 PM

Pretty much all you need to know is that this event was organized by a group called Vancity Mayday.

Yup, it's totally gonna be a fun, safe experience where the area will be cleaned up and area residents won't even know that a huge public party happened.

That's like an STD riddled stripper named Candy Lynn promising you a rollicking good time without consequences afterwards. Oh, something will be left behind all right. It's not gonna be pretty to look at and it'll have future repercussions.

Traum 08-21-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8673100)
I can understand their message, it's really not a bad one, but i can also see how this will end up as a total clusterfuck, and so should they

IIRC, public demonstrations / protests doesn't require permits or granted permissions, at least as long as the group is only up to 150 - 200 or so. The police would certainly appreciate it if you notify them of this type of event in terms of time / schedule, location, the expected number of participants, etc, and they will organize the necessary security measures on an as needed basis. For group demonstrations / protests up to 150 - 200 participants or so, I don't think there is any costs to the organizers, most likely because this type of thing is viewed as freedom of speech / expression, and is thus guaranteed by our Canadian Charter of Rights. For anything bigger, I wouldn't know the details.

GLOW 08-21-2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8673109)
Pretty much all you need to know is that this event was organized by a group called Vancity Mayday.

Yup, it's totally gonna be a fun, safe experience where the area will be cleaned up and area residents won't even know that a huge public party happened.

That's like an STD riddled stripper named Candy Lynn promising you a rollicking good time without consequences afterwards. Oh, something will be left behind all right. It's not gonna be pretty to look at and it'll have future repercussions.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...00e1bedb26.jpg

flagella 08-21-2015 03:47 PM

Damn, so many retards in this city. Never go full retard.

Galactic_Phantom 08-21-2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8673090)
So lemme get this straight -- this group is organizing this unsanctioned "street party" as a form of civil disobedience because the city and the PD don't allow people to host public events without granted permission? FailFish

Fuck the police :derp:

adambomb 08-21-2015 04:25 PM

This is what the VPD is predicting will happen... :scream:

Ronin 08-21-2015 04:34 PM

Whenever anything is ended with something unceded Salish whatever, you know its something stupid by some Occupy Vancouver idiots.

Euro7r 08-21-2015 06:08 PM

These are the type of idiots that got way too much time on their hands.

MG1 08-21-2015 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8673093)

I laugh every time I see that photo.

Dude is so skinny, a normal belt for a normal person - just too big.

If a girl bitch slaps him, his jaw would just crumble........... one tough hombre, he is.

nns 08-21-2015 07:25 PM

What they should do is hook up a fire hose and start soaking everyone with water. People in wet clothes = no more partayy

Alatar 08-21-2015 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nns (Post 8673195)
What they should do is hook up a fire hose and start soaking everyone with water. People in wet clothes = no more partayy

Can't afford to waste the water on these time wasters.

SkinnyPupp 08-21-2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Violence ended a similar event in May, organized by the same group.
Of course it did :rukidding:

Soundy 08-21-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8673100)

"Fuck everyone else, we do what we want." This is really not a bad message?

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8673107)
This paragraph was also awesome, because I'm sure if you ask the 3 people who got stabbed the last time around they would tell you that it was the worst.

I'm sure all those residents who woke up to find their lawns had been used as porta-potties would be right on board, too.

Gh0stRider 08-21-2015 07:50 PM

seems kinda mellow